Gampel Ceiling and Roof Repair On BOT Special Meeting | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Gampel Ceiling and Roof Repair On BOT Special Meeting

Reaction Score
I don't think 10 million is a lot. After watching the video on UConn's website it looks like a lot of work.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't think 10 million is a lot. After watching the video on UConn's website it looks like a lot of work.
Basically it's a new roof since each of the exterior panels are going to removed and new seals added. The interior will be done at the same time and is time consuming.

In addition, new access will be added to exterior roof, and if I recall correctly, some code compliance issues are going to be corrected. It's a big job that can't be fixed with can of spray paint. (Although in all honesty, it would have been nice to have a quick cosmetic fix like that done this year.)

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

It is a lot of work, because it is a completely inappropriate material to line the interior dome of a basketball arena. It would make sense to replace the tiles with something that won't require this same work to be done again in a few years.

CL82

Reaction Score
It is a lot of work, because it is a completely inappropriate material to line the interior dome of a basketball arena. It would make sense to replace the tiles with something that won't require this same work to be done again in a few years.
Did you take a look at the video? One of the options is actually to hang new panels in front of the old ones, essentially a domed suspended ceiling. I don't think they are going with that though.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Did you take a look at the video? One of the options is actually to hang new panels in front of the old ones, essentially a domed suspended ceiling. I don't think they are going with that though.

I did now.

Reaction Score
Why not just blast away all the paint & fabric off and go with bare metal?

Always thought the ceiling at Gampel absorbed noise, making the building quieter than it should be. This is why you can often hear a pin drop while UConn is shooting free throws - the silence spooks our own team and with louder acoustics the home-floor advantage would be augmented.

Reaction Score

Always thought the ceiling at Gampel absorbed noise, making the building quieter than it should be. This is why you can often hear a pin drop while UConn is shooting free throws - the silence spooks our own team and with louder acoustics the home-floor advantage would be augmented.
Isn't it supposed to be that quiet when UConn is shooting free throws?

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
It will come to 17.2M when its done.

CL82

Reaction Score

The the insulation behind the fabric and the air gap between the panels is what insulates Gampel. If you take it away, it would be tough to keep the place warm and condensation from people's breath would end up raining on the court.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The the insulation behind the fabric and the air gap between the panels is what insulates Gampel. If you take it away, it would be tough to keep the place warm and condensation from people's breath would end up raining on the court.

Which doesn't mean that they couldn't use something other than fabric on the surface. That would be the best result in my opinion.

CL82

Reaction Score
Which doesn't mean that they couldn't use something other than fabric on the surface. That would be the best result in my opinion.

Yep. I see the same thing happening 20 years down the road if we re-wrap the existing panels. I didn't like the look of the test sample covering panel particularly. Hard to say though without a larger sample. FWIW some of the test panels that were re- wrapped looked pretty bad too, like a bad upholstery job.

Reaction Score
Yep. I see the same thing happening 20 years down the road if we re-wrap the existing panels. I didn't like the look of the test sample covering panel particularly. Hard to say though without a larger sample. FWIW some of the test panels that were re- wrapped looked pretty bad too, like a bad upholstery job.
Yep, remember hearing about this vaguely and watched some of that video. So my layman's diagnosis would be put the insulation on the OUTSIDE panels and have the interior ceiling separate and not connected to insulation. Since they are accessing from the outside anyway this should be possible. Then theoretically the new panels can be a more acoustic, hard surface that isn't prone to peeling or subject to expansion, contraction moisture that affects insulation.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
How are roofs at other arenas designed? I've never seen a roof situation as ugly as ours.

CL82

Reaction Score
How are roofs at other arenas designed? I've never seen a roof situation as ugly as ours.
I like it, well when stuff's not pealing off of it. My favorite is probably the RAC at RU. The ceiling is at an angle and reflects the crowd sound back at it. It get very loud in there, at least when they have something to cheer about.
Yep, remember hearing about this vaguely and watched some of that video. So my layman's diagnosis would be put the insulation on the OUTSIDE panels and have the interior ceiling separate and not connected to insulation. Since they are accessing from the outside anyway this should be possible. Then theoretically the new panels can be a more acoustic, hard surface that isn't prone to peeling or subject to expansion, contraction moisture that affects insulation.
If they take this approach, which seems doable, I think they would fasten the new panels over the existing ones which, though unattractive, are still structurally sound.

Reaction Score
Wow! I never realized how many structural engineers we had on the Boneyard! :rolleyes:
Actually the ceiling shouldn't require a structural engineer (maybe sign off by one) so long as the weight fits within what the structure can support. How's that for over-reach ;)

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Actually the ceiling shouldn't require a structural engineer (maybe sign off by one) so long as the weight fits within what the structure can support. How's that for over-reach ;)
I'm waiting for a structural analysis of how much weight a geodesic dome can support (I think it's a lot?)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom