Gampel Ceiling and Roof Repair On BOT Special Meeting | The Boneyard

Gampel Ceiling and Roof Repair On BOT Special Meeting

Reaction Score
Repair Work To Roof Of Gampel To Begin In May

>>Repair work to the roof and ceiling of the Harry A. Gampel Pavilion will begin in mid-May of 2017 following University Commencement with the project having an expected completion five months later in October. A budget of $10 million for the repair work was approved by the UConn Board of Trustees at the group’s meeting on January 25, 2017. <<

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
It was last year too!
I don't think the budget ever got approved last year, it's already gone a step further. I'd be surprised at this point if it got postponed another year.

Reaction Score
I don't think the budget ever got approved last year, it's already gone a step further. I'd be surprised at this point if it got postponed another year.

Approved by BOT but then delayed a year:

>>Gampel Pavilion, the home of the University of Connecticut’s championship basketball teams and location of student graduations, has a flaking and leaking dome that was slated to be renovated at a cost of $10 million.
“We were asked. like all other state agencies, to be able to defer some construction projects or cancel some projects because of the issues the state is having with its budget,” Laura Cruickshank, the university’s chief architect, told the UConn Board of Trustees Wednesday. The university trustees voted to delay the repairs for a year — a decision made after outside consultants determined doing so would not put the safety of the public at risk.
“People will be safe in there,” Trustee Tom Ritter said of the decision to delay the project, which was being done largely for cosmetic reasons.<<

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Fire up the Patoni kiln!
The Pantoni boys have been working on it for the past year. That is the real reason for the delay.

craftsmen.jpg

"We gotta from May to October. Handa me another tile."​

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I've been saying all along, get up there and do a cheap fix with an alternative material and matching paint. There has to be more to the issue or they surely would have done something cheaper by now, right? If this is more government nonsense whereby they skipped the cheap, quick options for years and will now spend $10,000,000 to fix it with more handmade tiles then God help us all. I'd much rather spend that money on other things.

Reaction Score
Actually, i think most of the work is just replacing the fabric that covers the tiles....not replacing the tiles themselves. There's also something that has to be done to weather seal the actual roof. Not sure if from the inside, or outside, but that's what i heard.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Heard some jabronis behind me at the Tulane game saying they're going to use helicopters to lift the roof off to repair it.
But that was only if they ended up give Schiano the football HC gig, since they'd have had to buy the helicopter anyway.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Why don't we save 9.8 million and due what Stairmaster did in his mom's basement: a drop ceiling?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom