Gamecocks 2024-25 Season: Part One | The Boneyard

Gamecocks 2024-25 Season: Part One

Reaction Score
Yippee, we are the champs again. Can we get two in a row? Frankly, an early loss wouldn’t hurt to relieve the pressure of the undefeated streak.

Will Joyce earn a spot in the regular rotation?

Will the other two frosh be healed enough for summer workouts? Opening the season? Mid-season?

Can we keep the same awesome chemistry?

Can Ashlynn shoot ten thousand free throws this summer? Learn to keep her emotions in check?

Who’s on the recruiting board?

How much can Tessa improve?

Ten thousand questions

Reaction Score
Yippee, we are the champs again. Can we get two in a row? Frankly, an early loss wouldn’t hurt to relieve the pressure of the undefeated streak.

Will the other two frosh be healed enough for summer workouts? Opening the season? Mid-season?

Can Ashlynn shoot ten thousand free throws this summer? Learn to keep her emotions in check?

Ten thousand questions
Thought I was reading too much regarding Watkins reactions this season. Nice to know I may not have been alone in thinking this.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
giphy.gif

Yall should have put up a bigger fence on Interstate 77 South if yall wanted to keep me outta here.

Reaction Score
SC is as loaded as anybody heading into the new season, but I think there’s two major questions for next year’s team:
  1. How do you replace Kamilla? She was clearly the team’s best player in the tournament and while the frontcourt is well-stocked, there’s no longer a mobile 6’7” in the middle. All three of Dawn’s title teams have had a truly dominant center.
  2. How hungry is the team coming off a title? The players were outspoken that the Iowa loss was a motivator. There’s a reason there hasn’t been a repeat champion since the UConn years.

Reaction Score
SC is as loaded as anybody heading into the new season, but I think there’s two major questions for next year’s team:
  1. How do you replace Kamilla? She was clearly the team’s best player in the tournament and while the frontcourt is well-stocked, there’s no longer a mobile 6’7” in the middle. All three of Dawn’s title teams have had a truly dominant center.
  2. How hungry is the team coming off a title? The players were outspoken that the Iowa loss was a motivator. There’s a reason there hasn’t been a repeat champion since the UConn years.there
There is a more mobile 6-3 player who is a better rebounder and shot blocker . Can leap higher than Kamilla, granted she is a horrible free throw shooter and needs to work on avoiding foul trouble,

Hungry? We’ll see. They’ve been hungry for 3 consecutive years. I think Dawn has figured out how to keep them hungry.

None of which means we’ll repeat.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I promise to stick to basketball as best as I can but......

April 30th is the last day to get a free chicken filet biscuit in the Carolinas through the App and promo code Gamecocks at participating locations. The key word is participating cause apparently the locations here in Greensboro weren't participating :mad: So basically I gained nothing from yall's NCAA's championship :oops:

I had Bojangles on my mind so I went ahead and ventured there for dinner. If you haven't been to Bojangles lately, they recently started having the Sausage BoBerry Biscuits.

We topped our country-style sausage with sweet icing and put it on a scratch-made biscuit stuffed with Bo Berries. The Sausage Bo-Berry Biscuit is the perfect blend of sweet and savory—breakfast and dessert.

I was like I gotta try this... They are 2 for $5.. the cashier asked me if I wanted one or two. I said 1.

8ball.jpg

It was incredible... I should have gotten two

Moral of the story... head straight to Bojangles ASAP.. and get TWO

Reaction Score
  2. How hungry is the team coming off a title? The players were outspoken that the Iowa loss was a motivator. There’s a reason there hasn’t been a repeat champion since the UConn years.
I pretty much agree with this post.

1. Kamilla became a Go-to player. When the offense bogged down and they needed a bucket, they went to her. Memorably in the tournament vs Indiana and NC State but also throughout the regular season, at Tennessee, even at North Carolina. I think this has been a bit understated. It's not that the players who are replacing her aren't good. But can u build an offense around them, or go to them in crucial situations. I get KC wasn't a 20 pt scorer, but in James Harden terminology, she was kind of a system.

2. I think my question is, are they too hungry? I think more than any team I've seen, all the pieces fit perfectly in their role. But their roles made sense IMO. Fulwiley, come off the bench - that's cool when ur a freshman. Chloe - start some games/come off the bench some games- cool when ur a sophomore finally getting minutes for the first time. Bree Hall - hit clutch shots, but also don't be surprised if u end up on the bench at times - cool when ur not a Senior. The roles made sense this year in a way that may be challenging next season. Like can Paopao take a backseat to Fulwiley and Tessa, when she's hoping to get drafted? Winning of course is the cure. As their theme was, love is a pretty strong cure as well. But those are the questions that I have. And I know 80 percent of teams competing for the final four have minutes issues and other more pressing issues.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score

1. Kamilla became a Go-to player. When the offense bogged down and they needed a bucket, they went to her. Memorably in the tournament vs Indiana and NC State but also throughout the regular season, at Tennessee, even at North Carolina. I think this has been a bit understated. It's not that the players who are replacing her aren't good. But can u build an offense around them, or go to them in crucial situations. I get KC wasn't a 20 pt scorer, but in James Harden terminology, she was kind of a system.

2. I think my question is, are they too hungry? I think more than any team I've seen, all the pieces fit perfectly in their role. But their roles made sense IMO. Fulwiley, come off the bench - that's cool when ur a freshman. Chloe - start some games/come off the bench some games- cool when ur a sophomore finally getting minutes for the first time. Bree Hall - hit clutch shots, but also don't be surprised if u end up on the bench at times - cool when ur not a Senior. The roles made sense this year in a way that may be challenging next season. Like can Paopao take a backseat to Fulwiley and Tessa, when she's hoping to get drafted? Winning of course is the cure. As their theme was, love is a pretty strong cure as well. But those are the questions that I have. And I know 80 percent of teams competing for the final four have minutes issues and other more pressing issues.
Dawn just revamps to the returning players. She had the 2 towers in 2017. When Coates went down, she went to a smaller lineup and won a national championship that many thought was out of reach with the Coates injury. South Carolina has way too many weapons to miss Cardosa in the middle. There will just be another way to go. That's what Dawn does and why South Carolina has dominated lately with totally different rosters.

Reaction Score
Let it be Southern Cal ....................PLEEEEEEEASE
Maybe A'ja should hold off on collecting her gear fit bets for a bit? It would be awesome and hilarious to see them all in South Carolina gear in Vegas for an opening game. :D

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I give a lot of credit for Lawson having the nerve to continue playing us.

And big respect always for Geno playing us when there was no reason to and not abandoning the series when it went bad.

I can see why some teams that have had to go back to the drawing board might have dropped us hopefully temporarily.

Reaction Score
For what it's worth, I think adding another post would be good given the consolidation of front court talent in the top schools.

Maybe only one option left in Dauda, though that moves needle.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

Ten thousand questions
These are players I know for sure have been offered by SC. There may be more, but these are guaranteed offers that I know of. Anyone feel free to add any guaranteed offers that I missed.

2025 offers:
#1 Aaliyah Chavez
#2 Sienna Betts (committed to UCLA)
#3 Jasmine Davidson
#4 Divine Bourrage
#6 Dee Alexander (committed to Cincinnati)
#7 Zakiyah Johnson

2026 offers:
#1 Jerzy Robinson
#2 Olivia Vukosa
#3 Saniyah Hall
#5 Jacy Abii
#6 McKenna Woliczko
#7 Oliviyah Edwards
#8 Brihanna Crittendon
#9 Jordyn Jackson

I can't track down whether we have already or not, but if not then I'm not sure what SC is waiting on when it comes to offering #10 Agot Makeer out of Canada for the class of 2025. She looks underrated to me.

Reaction Score
These are players I know for sure have been offered by SC. There may be more, but these are guaranteed offers that I know of. Anyone feel free to add any guaranteed offers that I missed.

2025 offers:
#1 Aaliyah Chavez
#2 Sienna Betts (committed to UCLA)
#3 Jasmine Davidson
#4 Divine Bourrage
#6 Dee Alexander (committed to Cincinnati)
#7 Zakiyah Johnson

2026 offers:
#1 Jerzy Robinson
#2 Olivia Vukosa
#3 Saniyah Hall
#5 Jacy Abii
#6 McKenna Woliczko
#7 Oliviyah Edwards
#8 Brihanna Crittendon
#9 Jordyn Jackson

I can't track down whether we have already or not, but if not then I'm not sure what SC is waiting on when it comes to offering #10 Agot Makeer out of Canada for the class of 2025. She looks underrated to me.
Really like what I've seen of her so far. More of what some think Laeticia Amihere could have been in some aspects when she was being recruited. I think her game is further ahead in comparison to Amihere at this point of HS careers.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Really like what I've seen of her so far. More of what some think Laeticia Amihere could have been in some aspects when she was being recruited. I think her game is further ahead in comparison to Amihere at this point of HS careers.
Agreed. SC usually has a good pulse on Canadian talent (we've landed Amihere, and Colley before her), so it wouldn't surprise me if we have indeed already offered, but thought it was interesting that nobody knows for certain.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

I think people are underestimating how good Watkins is. She is a terror as a defender and rebounder, though her offense still is a work in progress. Her offense improved significantly her sophomore season and she seems hungry, so I don’t doubt that she’ll make another jump as a junior. She isn’t 6-7 but she’s probably the best returning defensive center in the country and South Carolina should have the most athletic and deepest front court in the country with her/Kitts/Feagin/Edwards/Tac and possibly Walker.

In regards to question 2, I’d be surprised if Pao Pao’s situation wasn’t addressed by Dawn before she decided to come back a 5th year. Fulwiley is likely going to blossom into a go to player next year which means reduced minutes for Hall/Pao Pao. That said, Dawn likes playing a deep roster and spreads minutes which I expect we’ll see more of going forward, especially with such a talented roster. Dawn isn’t afraid to roll 9-10 deep which means a lot of players will get minutes been if it isn’t 30+ per game. Realistically all of these players signed with South Carolina knowing they’d never take 15 shots per game or be a 20 ppg scorer.

Reaction Score
My idle thoughts:

Fulwiley might earn more minutes but it isn't necessary to give them to her. She had erratic playing time for a reason and we will see where she is next fall.

Watkins has been fairly foul prone so I do worry about that when she's a starter and the depth of size is reduced. Big reason why I like the idea of Dauda.

I do find the stakes for next season as a fan feel pretty low. Last year was tense trying to negotiate the certainty of so many folks just waiting to pounce on a loss. Would have been an ugly narrative to go down twice as the overwhelming favorite on floor but not in the hearts. Not sure that there is so much to prove this year coming off undefeated.

I guess we'll have to see where the team is on that. I briefly thought that bringing in a hungry star might be just the thing. But maybe the slate of challengers will do the trick instead. Will be a fun year, I think for the sport. Hope there are a lot of big non-con games.

Reaction Score
My idle thoughts:

Fulwiley might earn more minutes but it isn't necessary to give them to her. She had erratic playing time for a reason and we will see where she is next fall.

Watkins has been fairly foul prone so I do worry about that when she's a starter and the depth of size is reduced. Big reason why I like the idea of Dauda.

I do find the stakes for next season as a fan feel pretty low. Last year was tense trying to negotiate the certainty of so many folks just waiting to pounce on a loss. Would have been an ugly narrative to go down twice as the overwhelming favorite on floor but not in the hearts. Not sure that there is so much to prove this year coming off undefeated.

I guess we'll have to see where the team is on that. I briefly thought that bringing in a hungry star might be just the thing. But maybe the slate of challengers will do the trick instead. Will be a fun year, I think for the sport. Hope there are a lot of big non-con games.
Watkins is my biggest hope and worry, and I'm one of her biggest fans. She needs to cut down the trash talking and showing emotion when called for a foul. Be like Robert Parrish. She doesn't want to become a target for the refs. She is one of the best wbb athletes ever, but she has to stay on the court - not the bench. And work on the free throws. Improve that baby hook we saw this year.

If I'm an opposing coach, I tell my team to attack her. Yes, we'll foul a lot, but she cant make us pay for it at the line. And, if we can get her in foul trouble, we look much less intimidating defensively.

Big question is whether Joyce can give us meaningful minutes? I know the Fams are jacked up by her potential but she can't replace Kamilla's production in her frosh year. Adhel is a bigger question. I don't see much meaningful PT for her.

Guards? No questions except how Maddy's rehab is progressing. We are the same as last year without her

Reaction Score
I think Edwards will easily contribute. Not sure it will be with starter minutes, but it's possible. Can't imagine that she actually starts though.

It's wild how many things are up in the air about team that only lost one contributor, but there is so much untapped potential in just about every player it is hard to say what it will even look like.

Reaction Score
I think some of you are way overthinking the size implications for next year. First of all Sakima is 6'5 and had some very decent moments this year that another year of development, weight room work and continuity should make her even more effective and also she is a very good perimeter shooter, as referenced when she was brought in the program. Secondly Adhel is actually 6'6 and more athletically gifted than Boston. Though she is not as polished, skilled or versatile as Boston, she is a very good rim protector and as close to Boston as we have had on defense and with her Basketball I.Q as Dawn has stated many times this year, even as lately as a radio show earlier this week. Tac has a good low post game and is a better finisher at the rim than Kamilla was her first two years here at Carolina. Pairing her with Watkins, Feagin and Edwards who is a vey good finisher underneath, we will be different but we can definitely match our production at that position. Remember Edwards won a gold as one of only two high school players on the U 19 gold medal winning team. She not only played with some of the top college sophomores in the country, she was chosen as one of the All Star 5 players of the tournament. Couple this with winning the MVP of the McDAA game, Nike Hoop Summitt and Jordan Brand Game and it obviously gives us more credible data on how she would translate in her freshmen year than other players coming into the NCAA game this year. This will be 6'6 (Tac) , 6'5 (Walker) , 6'3( Watkins), 6'3 (Edwards) 6'3( Feagin) and 6'2 (Kitts) in the front court. Tac's injury was minor and she has already passed her recovery period and stated on her ig live with Cardoso that she will be practicing with the team in June when they start summer workouts. Also for those that do not keep up, Tac would have been a McDonalds All American this year had she not entered college as the other post taken from the game, Shaq's daughter and another girl, were and still are rated well below her in the final rankings. At one time before her foot injury, she was rated as high as #5 in the class, which is why she was always my choice for which post we would take. Our frontline is deeper and more talented collectively than any in the country. Remember, as gaga as some were going on about Kiriafen going to any team, she was rated below Feagin coming out of high school and Sania towards the end of the year and especailly in the tourney was starting to reach her full potential, something Dawn also mentioned on her interview earlier this week. We need to relax. The portal was never a must for us with no transfers out of the program.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom