Gamecocks 2022, part IV | The Boneyard

Gamecocks 2022, part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Carry on.
Feels like a good time to start chapter four as we enter the home stretch of the regular season.

This team has always been playing for March and April, but as I look backwards, we’re about where I thought we’d be. At the beginning of the season, I figured we’d probably have two losses right now (most likely to two of Stanford, UConn, NCST, or an SEC road opponent - which I figured would be a ranked team if it happened, but carry on).

Boston has been everything you thought she could be and more. She elevates this team from #7 (give or take) to #1. It’s likely a closed case for NPOY but I think she’s resoundingly earned it (in the same way I thought Paige did last year).

I thought we’d be a better shooting team and neither FG% figure is where you’d like to see it (.438, same as last year, albeit with a worse 3FG%, but the arc did move back so that’s to be expected). At some point though I have to wonder if our rebounding prowess hinders shot selection (more likely to take a contested or difficult shot if you know your 4s and 5s are lurking underneath to snare a miss). In any case, it’s a formula that’s proved effective, although it’s not foolproof, particularly against a team of equal talent and skill like those I mentioned above.

There’s no such thing as a “lock” for the Final Four (although you Connecticut folks have made it look that way!), but I’d bet heavier money on SC making it there this year simply because I think the talent gap between us and whoever the weakest 2-seed is (#8 overall) is probably too pronounced. Anything can happen, though, and I’m certainly relieved to anticipate UConn going to Bridgeport given they could quite feasibly end up as the overall #8 were it not for regional proximity.

Anything can happen in the tournament and I do think there are at least four teams capable of winning it all (SC/NCST/UConn/Stanford) with a handful of outsiders with the gusto if the matchups and ball fall right. I guess I’d have to bet on SC today since they’re likely to be #1 overall but that didn’t end well for Gonzaga last year and the fact of the matter is we don’t shoot well enough to be a sure bet after the first round or two.

All in all, it’s been a good season. Dawn has done a stellar job, but I hope NCOY goes elsewhere. It’s not easy to win, but Dawn, Tara, and the usual crew of suspects have done their jobs as expected (by doing them at the highest level of performance) and there are some phenomenal coaching stories out there this year anong Finley at Florida, Novak at Mississippi State, Mulkey at LSU, and Jennie B. at Oklahoma.

Also just want to congratulate the UConn fans on this board for what really has been a season to remember - I know it’s a down year by program standards, but the player development this year has been outstanding, even if it took a long while to manifest. Geno & Co. have earned their checks this season. Would not be surprised to see Connecticut break their Final Four losing streak this year if Paige comes back as 75% of her previous self.

Ramble over! Been a slow work day.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
dontmind.png

Reaction Score
Did Aliyah intentionally miss her last shot so she could get her 10th rebound and claim the 20th straight double-double? :p
What an embarrassing look for Alliyah and SC. She is rightfully getting dragged on Twitter. How on earth did she think that was a good idea?

In a sport that struggles to get outside fans to take it seriously, this was pathetic.

Reaction Score
What an embarrassing look for Alliyah and SC. She is rightfully getting dragged on Twitter. How on earth did she think that was a good idea?

In a sport that struggles to get outside fans to take it seriously, this was pathetic.
:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Just imagine a UCONN player did exactly what Alliyah did. The SC FAMs would go beast mode with their negative reactions. Take off your SC glasses and watch that. It's embarrassing.

Reaction Score
Just imagine a UCONN player did exactly what Alliyah did. The SC FAMs would go beast mode with their negative reactions. Take off your SC glasses and watch that. It's embarrassing.
There was 11:22 minutes left in the game with SC leading by 33 pts. She finished off the record and got out so as to allow Dawn to get her younger teammates, and others who don’t play as much, to get some playing/development time.

I imagine if she played for UConn, Geno would have left her in through the 39th minute to pad her stats and the team’s margin of victory. By then she likely would have added 5+ rebounds to her total, while needlessly risking potential injury that could keep her out for a couple months.

Reaction Score

If you think ALIYAH - put some respect by spelling her name correctly - was not going to get that 10th rebound, you're crazier than most people. She wanted her record, but didn't want to stay on the court and risk injury and allow her teammates to get longer playing time. Unlike your program, she doesn't play 40 minutes to pat her stats.

Reaction Score
If this was a common occurrence or late in the 4th quarter I could understand the outrage but this is the only time I have seen her do this and it seems likely she would have gotten one anyway. Part of me is glad it happened because I want our bench to get as much playing time as possible as we enter the postseason.

Reaction Score
There was 11:22 minutes left in the game with SC leading by 33 pts. She finished off the record and got out so as to allow Dawn to get her younger teammates, and others who don’t play as much, to get some playing/development time.

I imagine if she played for UConn, Geno would have left her in through the 39th minute to pad her stats and the team’s margin of victory. By then she likely would have added 5+ rebounds to her total, while needlessly risking potential injury that could keep her out for a couple months.
LOL! No UCONN player would've ever done what Boston did last night. She embarrassed herself and made a mockery of basketball last night. Spin it however you want, I don't care. You can have your opinion and I can have mine. She looked like a 3rd grader doing what she did.

Reaction Score
LOL! No UCONN player would've ever done what Boston did last night. She embarrassed herself and made a mockery of basketball last night.
Bitter #2.

Reaction Score
If this was a common occurrence or late in the 4th quarter I could understand the outrage but this is the only time I have seen her do this and it seems likely she would have gotten one anyway. Part of me is glad it happened because I want our bench to get as much playing time as possible as we enter the postseason.
Speaking of the bench...they were nasty last night! :eek: Rivers and Hall both look more comfortable shooting the ball. Cardoso looks to be searching for her shot. Lele was in a groove. There is almost zero drop-off between the first and second team defense. That's scary!

Reaction Score
Speaking of the bench...they were nasty last night! :eek: Rivers and Hall both look more comfortable shooting the ball. Cardoso looks to be searching for her shot. Lele was in a groove. There is almost zero drop-off between the first and second team defense. That's scary!
I want to keep that going, I'm glad she got the SEC record but I'm ready to continue building that bench. Who knows what we'll face in the weeks to come. I really like the High/Low action amongst the bigs. Would have love to have seen more Cardoso out there.

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
Bitter.
Nah, not bitter.
  • Is Boston the best player in the country right now? Yes.
  • Does she have my NPOY vote (if I had one lmao)? Yes.
  • Would she have broken the double double record honestly had she stayed in the game a few more minutes? Yes.
  • Was this particular play the best way to do it? Sorry, but no. If you can't recognize that then there's no point in talking about it further.
  • edit: Does this one poor decision take away from her fantastic season or negate the admirable sportswomanship with which she plays? Not at all!
As someone who typically roots for South Carolina, all things considered, please don't make me feel the way UConn fans have tended to make me feel about their program, at times lol.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I want to keep that going, I'm glad she got the SEC record but I'm ready to continue building that bench. Who knows what we'll face in the weeks to come. I really like the High/Low action amongst the bigs. Would have love to have seen more Cardoso out there.
I wonder if she is still recovering from her foot injury

Reaction Score
Now now. Remember Nykesha Sales? And this arrangement involved far fewer conspirators. Pretty certain she would have gotten another rebound. More certain than Sales would have gotten another basket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom