Game Week - UConn @ Vanderbilt (10/2/21 @ 7:30p (ET) on ESPNU) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Game Week - UConn @ Vanderbilt (10/2/21 @ 7:30p (ET) on ESPNU)

Reaction Score
Yesterday BigCat on his PMT podcast at around the 21 minute mark was gushing over this game....just can't wait to see how this thing plays out.

I think our new independent status adds a bit more to the national lore of our plight. Writing about the last place AAC team is just not as much fun nationally.
New Mexico State and UMass must be jealous they don’t get this attention Kansas too.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
2F3C5853-8A2A-491F-984D-119BDE121AF9.jpeg

Reaction Score
Saturday night is the watershed moment of our season. It’s the game that will measure our true level of improvement. At Army we showed a spark on offense with Tyler Phommachanh newly at the helm and Brewton excelling on special teams. As for our defense, the triple option blurred any rational evaluation. We saw glimpses of our defensive improvement vs Wyoming until wearing down in Q4. We displayed some Mazzone imagination on offense but were also aided by some questionable "home cooking" penalty calls. So where exactly are we in our slow progression from the depths?
This Saturday we’re playing a nighttime away game in an atmosphere where the refs will more than likely reverse the penalty advantage that aided us against Wyoming. And for some added intrigue, we're rolling into Nashville to face some (nominal) SEC athletes who were just humiliated by Georgia 62-0. Whatever self-respect the Commodores hope to reclaim will come at our expense.
So anything is possible (isn’t that why we watch) and nothing would surprise me. Conflicted, I’ll either be taking UConn on the money line at (+450) to validate our growing ascension and Vandy’s utter capitulation—or— Vandy (-14.5) for all the reasons you can imagine. So I’ll wait for an epiphany right before kickoff and if none appears, I just may keep my powder dry. Go Huskies!
I'm not sure if I would call it (or want to call it) a "watershed moment" beating a team that is 4-21 (1-17 conference) since 2019, but it could be a steady drip, hopefully in the right direction. With umass and Yale ahead, hey, it could be a 3 game winning streak..

Reaction Score

Alternate access link here

Last two truncated paragraphs from alternate shortcut:

About Vanderbilt’s coach: Clark Lea, 38, was the Commodores’ fullback from 2002-04. He later coached at several schools before becoming Notre Dame’s defensive coordinator in 2018. He returned to his alma mater this past offseason for his first head coaching opportunity.

Famous Vanderbilt alumni: Bears quarterbacks Billy Wade and Jay Cutler, and Major League Baseball standouts David Price, Walker Bueller, Dansby Swanson, Mike Yastrzemski, Sonny Gray and Tyler Beede.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score

My reply to this pud on the WaPo sight:

Your reporting is weak sauce. It is spelled UCONN. I suspect most college sports fans, certainly "reporters", have heard of the school, and would know how to spell it properly, since they have multiple national championship teams in women's basketball, women's field hockey, men's basketball, and men's soccer.

National Championships

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Clark Lea, 38, was the Commodores’ fullback from 2002-04. He later coached at several schools before becoming Notre Dame’s defensive coordinator in 2018.
Getting a DC from Notre Dame as our head coach? Why didn't we think of something like that?!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is actually awesome. I've had texts from friends far and wide about this game--who never text about any game. They all say they'll be watching and its all due to the national exposure this Game of Pathetics is getting. I love it. Perhaps some coach out there will be watching and thinking, "hey I should be the guy that resurrects this bad boy." The ratings for this game will surprise.

Reaction Score
Am I alone in starting to have fun with sucking and being rock bottom? It feels like the team COULD... COULD.... be turning the corner but the press and jokes on bar stool and national attention is kind of fun and not as dooms day as it was. Granted I will meltdown with another loss Saturday...but the sting hurts less each time. Its kind of getting fun.. as long as we eventually start to win..

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score

Hopefully we'll have more good footage for next week's hype clips. Let's get some more TD's today. (Although I wouldn't mind see Jay Rose flying every week. ) Let's get 'em, Huskies!

Reaction Score
Rallying after a crazy first night in Nashville. This place is pretty wild and a dream for a live music lover like me.

Had quite a few college coeds from CT going to school at various colleges down here recognize our Husky gear. Also may have ran across a couple Boneyarders on the sidewalk & we had an impromptu UConn Huskies chant shoutback. Anyone? Funny stuff!

Gonna check out Johnny Cash museum this AM, hit Bearded Iris brewery around lunchtime, then pregame/tailgate afternoon.

Huskies!!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom