Game Week - UConn v. Tulane (Senior Day) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Game Week - UConn v. Tulane (Senior Day)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Gavin Keefe: Diaco insists brighter days are ahead for UConn football

>>As far as the disgruntled UConn fan base, Diaco said he insulates himself from the outside world during football season and hasn't heard the noise. He's just happy that they care about the program to voice their opinion. "To have people on fire for UConn football, that's not a negative thing," Diaco said. "That's a positive thing."<<

Reaction Score
Diaco gets paid more for next year if he is fired after Tulane or on Jan 1st. This is so wrong. If he stays we get to hear his secret plan to fix the offense before the Army/Navy game. Whoopee.

Reaction Score
If it's easy to fix, then we should fire him for negligence.

If it's not easy to fix, we should fire him for fraud.

Diaco is saying a car has a rear end, transmission and an engine. If one of those major components is bad, the entire car doesn't need to be junked. No question Diaco is the one who bought the faulty part. He holds himself responsible for being a poor purchasing agent. He believes he can put the car in proper working order with the right Offensive Coordinator. It won't be Corley, it can't be! Even though he said one day he will be great. Not yet, not enough experience! BD is fortunate that his renegotiated contract bought him a 3,400,000 warranty, otherwise he would not have an opportunity for correction and redemption as he seeks forgiveness for his sins.

Diaco and staff believed that a down hill running game lead by Frank Verducci, a guy who coached various positions (mostly OL, TE and run game coordinator) for a variety of NFL, Canadian and college teams (9 different jobs over like 14 years!Now that doesn't sound like a RKC to me! ) is hired as Offensive Coordinator. Diaco's Iowa and high school history had a lot to do with this hire. It was a near fatal decision to hire Verducci, especially at this critical stage of the rebuild. Of all the mistakes Diaco has made, this was by far the biggest. I understand the nepotism claim but it was more like blind loyalty to Verducci and his father. He got too close to be objective. One needs to hire the very best and it's obvious to me that Verducci knows football but certainly not enough to be an effective offensive coordinator. We haven't heard too much about this because Diaco wants to wait until the end of season. My guess is that Verducci and Cummings at the very minimum will be let go.

There are some excellent FCS coordinators and staffs out there who had high flying offenses last year. One of them in our parts, James Madison is the 4th seed in the FCS playoff. They finished with a 10-1 overall record and an 8-0 conference record. Their only loss was 56-28 to North Carolina. They finished 3rd in the NCAA with 5,742 yards, 7.05/play. Their Offensive Coordinator, Donnie Kirkpatrick is a veteran who spent ten years at ECU before coming to JMU. In 2015 they also had one of the most prolific offenses in the FCS. Ironically JMU offered Donovan Williams. ECU runs a combination spread type offense. I have no reason to believe Kirkpatrick is on the radar but I could see something like this happening. James Madison University Athletics - 2016 Football Coaching Staff

Last edited:

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
If he lets Corley go after telling us how great he is going to be, I will find a way to call him about that, in public, and remove that phlucking insulation/safe zone he is in.

Over under on how many red shirts come off this weekend? Maybe all the freshman went to coach this week and said they are better than the guy in front of them, let me show you. I mean we have many seniors and we should see which each freshman can contribute before going into next year blind...Amirite?

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
image.jpeg

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The guy has simply lost touch with reality. In the event that for budgetary reasons he is retained beyond January, Benedict has to have input on the replacements to the staff. He needs somebody to challenge his ideas, and that has to be a condition of him staying.

Reaction Score
The lack of self awareness is pretty concerning.

His ability to focus in this stressful situation and compartmentalize his thoughts is impressive. No way he should tune into this slaughter house. He's aware, don't kid yourself. He's just not focusing on all the noise and negativity. He doesn't need you or me to tell him the problems. He has expressed that he knows what they are on Offense and he will fix them.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
The lack of self awareness is pretty concerning.

It's tough to be self aware when you openly acknowledge that you're not paying much attention to anything going on around you.

If the trash needs to be emptied at his house, I wonder if he gets away with telling his wife that he's not paying any attention to the accumulation of trash, so he's not responsible for knowing it needs to be emptied. Somehow I'll bet he's not getting away with that one.

Reaction Score
Runs in the family tree...;)

Rhiannon Potkey@TennesseeBeat2 hours ago
#Vols coach Butch Jones said he doesn't understand why people don't get the progress made at Tennessee the last 4 years.

He's really no different than a lot of coaches.

Butch Jones is 29-20 as head coach at Tennessee in 4 years. Has had three consecutive winning seasons and won 2 bowl games. Very Randy Edsall success-ish.

Bob Diaco will need to win Saturday and go 12-0 in his 4th year to get to 24-24.

Reaction Score
Butch Jones is 29-20 as head coach at Tennessee in 4 years. Has had three consecutive winning seasons and won 2 bowl games. Very Randy Edsall success-ish.

Bob Diaco will need to win Saturday and go 12-0 in his 4th year to get to 24-24.

... and people are calling for BJ's job. My only point is the coach speak that gets spewed by these guys. Brian Kelly's comments yesterday were tone deaf as well. I don't lose sleep over sound bytes - on field performance is what makes me want to stick an ice pick in my eye.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
He doesn't need you or me to tell him the problems. He has expressed that he knows what they are on Offense and he will fix them.

He has been saying that he knows what the problem is and how to fix it for three years. What's absolutely astounding at this point is that there is still someone out there who believes him!

Carl, I think you know that I'm a "glass half full" guy in most every situation. But even I am taken aback by your belief in what he's saying...

Reaction Score
His ability to focus in this stressful situation and compartmentalize his thoughts is impressive. No way he should tune into this slaughter house. He's aware, don't kid yourself. He's just not focusing on all the noise and negativity. He doesn't need you or me to tell him the problems. He has expressed that he knows what they are on Offense and he will fix them.

Not sure if this is a joke or not

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
Surprised you feel that way. He's big, fast, athletic, tough and smart. Sounds like a high end NFL draft pick visa vi Byron Jones. Interesting if he ends up starting next year, we might have three (Andrew Adams, Giants) UCONN db's in successive years starting on NFL teams. Add to them, Darius Butler, Colts, Dwayne Gratz, Jags and Tyvon Branch Raiders. Pretty impressive for UCONN.

yes he is a great athlete but he cant do the job, consistently gets beat in coverage and the only reason he hasn't been more exposed is because he is so athletically gifted.

Reaction Score
He has been saying that he knows what the problem is and how to fix it for three years. What's absolutely astounding at this point is that there is still someone out there who believes him!

Carl, I think you know that I'm a "glass half full" guy in most every situation. But even I am taken aback by your belief in what he's saying...
Understand everyone's viewpoints,
No matter what, IMO, the $$$ impact of $5mm or $3.4 to us as a G5 school dictates and he gets the year (or part year) to correct. I have to believe between the entire staff's connections and multiple years in the game as well as Benedict's connections , I hope that an experienced Offensive Coordinator list and potential cure is in the works. If not, Benedict is gone as well as Diaco. Predicting we will know the new OC in less than 2-3 weeks, after Conferecne championship games.

Reaction Score
If it's easy to fix, then we should fire him for negligence.

If it's not easy to fix, we should fire him for fraud.

Either way...

Diaco is saying a car has a rear end, transmission and an engine. If one of those major components is bad, the entire car doesn't need to be junked. No question Diaco is the one who bought the faulty part. He holds himself responsible for being a poor purchasing agent. He believes he can put the car in proper working order with the right Offensive Coordinator. It won't be Corley, it can't be! Even though he said one day he will be great. Not yet, not enough experience! BD is fortunate that his renegotiated contract bought him a 3,400,000 warranty, otherwise he would not have an opportunity for correction and redemption as he seeks forgiveness for his sins.

Diaco and staff believed that a down hill running game lead by Frank Verducci, a guy who coached various positions (mostly OL, TE and run game coordinator) for a variety of NFL, Canadian and college teams (9 different jobs over like 14 years!Now that doesn't sound like a RKC to me! ) is hired as Offensive Coordinator. Diaco's Iowa and high school history had a lot to do with this hire. It was a near fatal decision to hire Verducci, especially at this critical stage of the rebuild. Of all the mistakes Diaco has made, this was by far the biggest. I understand the nepotism claim but it was more like blind loyalty to Verducci and his father. He got too close to be objective. One needs to hire the very best and it's obvious to me that Verducci knows football but certainly not enough to be an effective offensive coordinator. We haven't heard too much about this because Diaco wants to wait until the end of season. My guess is that Verducci and Cummings at the very minimum will be let go.

There are some excellent FCS coordinators and staffs out there who had high flying offenses last year. One of them in our parts, James Madison is the 4th seed in the FCS playoff. They finished with a 10-1 overall record and an 8-0 conference record. Their only loss was 56-28 to North Carolina. They finished 3rd in the NCAA with 5,742 yards, 7.05/play. Their Offensive Coordinator, Donnie Kirkpatrick is a veteran who spent ten years at ECU before coming to JMU. In 2015 they also had one of the most prolific offenses in the FCS. Ironically JMU offered Donovan Williams. ECU runs a combination spread type offense. I have no reason to believe Kirkpatrick is on the radar but I could see something like this happening. James Madison University Athletics - 2016 Football Coaching Staff

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
And Carl what EVERYONE else in the world can see is that not one thing on the car works.

Offense
Defense
Special Teams
Coaching Decisions
Recruiting

Every last part of this car is busted - - and as I'm sure you know - problems don't get fixed unless you acknowledge there is a problem.

This is beyond stupid at this point.

Reaction Score
In this context I was not emphasizing his coaching ability more his ability to get beyond what must be an agonizing and dark time in his career. He is close to have blown this gig. He either rebounds with lessons learned and corresponding proper adjustments or it's over. That's a lot of pressure. All I'm saying is his ability to focus his attention under those circumstances is impressive, not his performance to date by any means.

Reaction Score
And Carl what EVERYONE else in the world can see is that not one thing on the car works.

Offense
Defense
Special Teams
Coaching Decisions
Recruiting

Every last part of this car is busted - - and as I'm sure you know - problems don't get fixed unless you acknowledge there is a problem.

This is beyond stupid at this point.

I don't agree. Not saying any of the above is perfect but the offense put together by the WRONG offensive coordinator (Diaco's fault) made everything fall apart. If you look at most of the games for the most part the Defense fell apart in the second half both physically (out there too long) and mentally because they knew the team had no ability to come from behind. Diaco has excellent Defensive coaching skills and a motivator of players but he needs a really good Offensive coordinator to be successful. I am hoping he finds that person or he is done.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Dan,

After a gut wrenching an agonizing first year which we all got through ( like a baby trying to lift a coffee table ). Diaco's second year was much improved and we went to a bowl. This year was gonna be a lot better with all the seniors and the strength and conditioning. Everyone is tremendously disappointed and angry. Diaco says the fans should be and is equally if not more angry. I know he has got to be disgusted with himself for the coach selection on the offensive side of the ball. He knows he made a collossal mistake. He just can't publicly talk about it now.
I believe the next key hire st OC if it's the right guy will turn things around. Tearing down everything now would be much much worse and possibly prolong the turn around.

Reaction Score
I don't agree. Not saying any of the above is perfect but the offense put together by the WRONG offensive coordinator (Diaco's fault) made everything fall apart. If you look at most of the games for the most part the Defense fell apart in the second half both physically (out there too long) and mentally because they knew the team had no ability to come from behind. Diaco has excellent Defensive coaching skills and a motivator of players but he needs really good Offensive coordinator to be successful. I am hoping he finds that person or he is done.

Yeah, I'm calling BS on this right now. And you're giving my screen name a bad rep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom