Game Week - UConn v. Navy (11/1/19 @ 8p on ESPN2) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Game Week - UConn v. Navy (11/1/19 @ 8p on ESPN2)

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
So you don't remember the time we shut them out in Annapolis because of Alzheimers or because you only allow yourself to remember Edsall's failures?
Speaking for myself, my memories of playing Navy are now limited to a recurring nightmare of the last 10 minutes of the game at Annapolis where Diaco let the clock expire. I'm working with a therapist on it, taking it day by day.

Last edited:

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Speaking for myself, my memories of playing Navy are now limited to a recurring nightmare of the 10 minutes of the game at Annapolis where Diaco let the clock expire. I'm working with a therapist on it, taking it day by day.

Just imagine being a Texas Tech fan this week. THAT was a brain fart to end all brain farts.

Reaction Score
Back in my day, granted a few years ago, we had a concept called “option the option”. The idea was whoever the QB was keying off for the pitch (usually the DE) would stay at the line of scrimmage and keep outside leverage, sliding down the line with the QB. The QB was trained to pitch if the DE crashed or turn it up is he played the pitch. By sliding down the line you hoped to confuse the QB long enough for pursuit to arrive whether he turned it up or pitched. It worked well back then.

Reaction Score
Just a hunch but I think Eric Watts who has been getting plenty of reps as a pass rusher will not get as many against Navy with their run heavy offense. We need four solid lineman who can own their space and not get rolled backwards.Then it is on the LB's and safeties to tackle well. The corners have to match up one on one with their split ends. They will be taking shots based on our corner play so far so they have to stay focused and not get burnt. The wingback faking a block and then running the seam as a receiver is the hardest to defend as the LB's have to be watching out for the run on every play. To win we will have to score over 30 points.

Reaction Score
I understand our LB's are less than optimal but this team is improving and gaining confidence. If our offensive play calling is as efficient as our last two games--and our execution is as good as last week--we can control the clock and put up at least 30 on Navy. I hope they see our film and try to pass more. I like our chances to cover. In fact, this game is nicely positioned for an upset.

Reaction Score
Here are the last 4 games vs Navy:

2002: W 38-0 @ Navy
2006: L 41-17 @ UConn (Navy's first play threw a 77 yard TD pass)
2015: L 28-18 @ UConn (UConn got onside kick with 7:20 to go, then 3 drives: Downs, Downs, fumble)
2016: L 28-24 @ Navy (The game Diaco screwed up at the end when UConn was on the Navy 1 yard line.)

Based on history, UConn should be competitive, but I don't think the run defense is good enough this year. Navy's QB, Malcolm Perry has rushed for 934 yards, 6.4 yards per carry, and 14 TDs. The top 2 RBS: 419 yards, 4.2 YPC, 6 TDs, and 290 yards, 10.4 YPC, 5 TDs. That will be tough to stop.

On the other hand, Navy has thrown 56 times, or an average of 8 times per game.

Common opponents:

USF: Navy won 35-3 at Navy, UConn lost 48-22 at UConn.

Tulane: Navy won 41-38 at Navy, UConn lost 49-7 at Tulane.

Bottom line, the point spread seems about right as UConn will have to play great D to have a chance to win the game.
UConn has to score. Note games above, need to be in high 30's to make it a game. Navy will get theirs.

Reaction Score
So you don't remember the time we shut them out in Annapolis because of Alzheimers or because you only allow yourself to remember Edsall's failures?
20 years ago? When Navy was 2-10 under Paul Johnson?
That's like watching the Tulane game again and looking at the one series Uconn scored and claiming domination....

Reaction Score
We need to win

I think we need to play well enough to keep it reasonable. Pre season we would have chalked this up as a loss. Nothing during the season has changed that. And as a 27 point dog it would probably be a top ten all time upset (too lazy to look up if that is factual). Love for it to happen, and I’ll be there (hopefully not in the rain) rooting for it, but I cannot say we need to win.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
A loss eliminates us from bowl contention. Gotta win.
1572350622938.gif

Reaction Score
Press Conference hit and run:

Neill Ostrout @NeillOstrout 45s
Edsall on team this week: “They might have a little bit more bounce in their step.”

Gavin Keefe @GavinKeefe 1m
Edsall on his team's demeanor coming off a win: "They came to work this week just like they’ve done the previous weeks. They might have a little more bounce in their step."

ThisIsUConnCountry @UConnSN 25s
The 56-points against UMass on Saturday were the most #UConnFootball has scored against an FBS opponent since 2009

ThisIsUConnCountry @UConnSN 30s
HC Randy Edsall on LB Kevon Jones: "He doesn't know how good he can be. He [shows] flashes." #UConnFootball

** lotsa questions/answers - not a lot of tweeting ** This one is a better listen than read day.

Alex Putterman @AlexPutterman 1m
No major news. Edsall called Navy "outstanding," said it's one of their best ever teams. He said Huskies players have some extra "bounce in their step" coming off a win but that things are mostly business as usual.

Reaction Score
I hope we play well this week. Problem to me is when you have not seen the option live you always struggle unless you are just a lot better team. Practice can try but it never can be simulated well. If we had played another option team this year or navy even last year we would be better off. Therefore I am expecting a long night on Friday. Hope I am wrong.

Reaction Score
Press Conference hit and run:

Neill Ostrout @NeillOstrout 45s
Edsall on team this week: “They might have a little bit more bounce in their step.”

Gavin Keefe @GavinKeefe 1m
Edsall on his team's demeanor coming off a win: "They came to work this week just like they’ve done the previous weeks. They might have a little more bounce in their step."

ThisIsUConnCountry @UConnSN 25s
The 56-points against UMass on Saturday were the most #UConnFootball has scored against an FBS opponent since 2009

ThisIsUConnCountry @UConnSN 30s
HC Randy Edsall on LB Kevon Jones: "He doesn't know how good he can be. He [shows] flashes." #UConnFootball

** lotsa questions/answers - not a lot of tweeting ** This one is a better listen than read day.

Alex Putterman @AlexPutterman 1m
No major news. Edsall called Navy "outstanding," said it's one of their best ever teams. He said Huskies players have some extra "bounce in their step" coming off a win but that things are mostly business as usual.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Weather in 40s and High 30s. I’m actually craving chilly football weather.

Reaction Score
Will We be 3-6 after Friday? After Navy ECU UC and Temple 6-6? I think we might win against ECU...

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Will We be 3-6 after Friday? After Navy ECU UC and Temple 6-6? I think we might win against ECU...
Earlier in the season I had this pinned as an easier stretch. Navy and Cincy are very tough though

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom