Game Week - UConn v. Cincinnati | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Game Week - UConn v. Cincinnati

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Tom Groeschen ‏@TomGroeschen 33m 33 minutes ago
Tuberville on taking heat from fans: Says he could make a book of names he's been called over the years. Says he is going to be here at #UC

Tom Groeschen ‏@TomGroeschen 32m 32 minutes ago
'You can come after me all you want. It doesn't bother me. I've heard it all.' - Tuberville. Says he is more bothered when recruits hear it

Tom Groeschen ‏@TomGroeschen 26m 26 minutes ago
Tuberville says he does not hear all the criticism at games because he has on a headset. But people tell him about it later

Cincinnati.com: Tuberville to critics: 'Come after me all you want'

Reaction Score
For now...
04.jpg

Reaction Score
Fuller: UConn football coach Bob Diaco wants to get Arkeel Newsome more carries

>>How determined is UConn coach Bob Diaco about getting the ball into the hands of his junior tailback on a more regular basis? Well, he brought up Newsome’s lack of production when asked about how often quarterback Bryant Shirreffs has run with the ball in the first five games of the season.

“I don’t have an interest in watching him run and Arkeel not,” Diaco said. “For Arkeel to have six touches, for me that can’t happen. I don’t feel like I am compromising the state’s secrets. I don’t know what play he is really going to be electric but if it is on his 13th, we better give him his 12 to see what 13 looks like. He is just that kind of player and we need to get him the ball. We are underachieving by not getting the ball to Arkeel Newsome more than we did, it doesn’t make any sense.”<<

>>Diaco said that UConn could be as healthy as it has been all season long. Guards Tommy Hopkins, Brendan Vechery and Trey Rutherford each took part in Tuesday’s practice.

Hopkins started the season opener before getting injured. Brendan Vechery got the start against Navy but was also sidelined so Rutherford has started the last three games. Rutherford feels better than he has, Vechery feels better than he has. They are not game ready to the point where they were but they are back and back practicing. “We’ll see exactly what he will be able to do on Saturday,” Diaco said of Hopkins, who started all 13 games a season ago. “He is still day to day but he is out there and he is practicing which is great.”<<

Reaction Score
There is no doubt deep throws arent practiced. Really believe its the truth nor sheilding
Bob is insistsnt on at least 12 plays to go down thr field

The changes we were trying to make couldn't be accomplished in one week let alone a short week. The timing and the vision were never going to be there. It's like I've been saying. Coach Diaco would be happy preparing for Army/Navy all year long when we should have been practicing for Virginia, Cuse and Houston since the Maine game. He's sending someone (DB?) the message that he's waking up to that fact. I hope it's true because a few changes can make a big difference.

Reaction Score
As fixated we are with Navy we have to be able to match up with the offenses of SMU, Tulsa, Temple,S. Florida etc. You need both sides of the ball and we have been focused on D only it seems coaching wise.

Reaction Score
I really hope they open up of offense and Bryant stops running the ball. Our QB has 84 rushing attempts, tied for 32nd in the nation! That'd be okay if he's Lamar Jackson who has 92 rushing attempts, BUT is averaging 7.5 yards a carry! Stop and think about that for a second. Lamar Jackson leads all QBs with 92 rushing attempts and Bryant ranks 2nd among ALL QBs in the nation wit 84 attempts! McCaffrey, the RB at Stanford has 91 attempts.

Reaction Score
Given that this school AND NIKE sucks at merchandising the Huskies.there isn't one shirt, sweatshirt or jersey out on any rack that is WHITE nevermind one to fit my fat ass!!!!!!!!!!!

Rumor on the avenue is they will have a special "fat ass" rack.

Kyle Muncy@UConnTrademark 7 mins ago
You can get your white out gear for@UConnFootball at the game too with several special deals @CampusCustoms@UConnHuskies
04.jpg

Reaction Score
Fuller: UConn football coach Bob Diaco wants to get Arkeel Newsome more carries

>>How determined is UConn coach Bob Diaco about getting the ball into the hands of his junior tailback on a more regular basis? Well, he brought up Newsome’s lack of production when asked about how often quarterback Bryant Shirreffs has run with the ball in the first five games of the season.

“I don’t have an interest in watching him run and Arkeel not,” Diaco said. “For Arkeel to have six touches, for me that can’t happen. I don’t feel like I am compromising the state’s secrets. I don’t know what play he is really going to be electric but if it is on his 13th, we better give him his 12 to see what 13 looks like. He is just that kind of player and we need to get him the ball. We are underachieving by not getting the ball to Arkeel Newsome more than we did, it doesn’t make any sense.”<<

>>Diaco said that UConn could be as healthy as it has been all season long. Guards Tommy Hopkins, Brendan Vechery and Trey Rutherford each took part in Tuesday’s practice.

Hopkins started the season opener before getting injured. Brendan Vechery got the start against Navy but was also sidelined so Rutherford has started the last three games. Rutherford feels better than he has, Vechery feels better than he has. They are not game ready to the point where they were but they are back and back practicing. “We’ll see exactly what he will be able to do on Saturday,” Diaco said of Hopkins, who started all 13 games a season ago. “He is still day to day but he is out there and he is practicing which is great.”<<

Mike Anthony: UConn's Major Objective: Get Newsome The Football

>>The Huskies have also played themselves into too many third-and-longs, which typically call for a pass play and a personnel group that includes Ron Johnson, the bigger running back, as a pass protector.

Another issue: Shirreffs, the quarterback, has often chosen to run during run/pass option plays that could wind up with the ball in Newsome's hands.

"That's a priority for us, finding ways to get him the ball," Verducci said. "Certain circumstances dictate how the ball gets distributed, score and points in the game, and we're fortunate that we have two very productive running backs, but certainly I'd like to see Arkeel get more opportunities. And the way he's prepared, he's ready to bust out any time. It wouldn't surprise me if he came out and had a great game Saturday."<<

>>Diaco and Verducci talked about putting players in better positions. What, exactly, does that entail? Dramatic changes to play-calling? "It's all-around improvement," said Verducci, who calls the plays. "Each of us can do certain things better, and that's what we've drilled down on as an offensive unit. Certainly, that would begin with me. When you don't produce like you'd like, you become very introspective and you drill down and you scrub every little thing in all aspects of the offense. We feel like we've found some answers there and we look forward to getting out on the field again."<<

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I'll wear yellow or green... I think that I will fit in well! I saw a woman in an orange UConn shirt at the cuse game. WHY?!

Last year at UCF they gave out purple and yellow Homecoming t-shirts for the game against ... ECU.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Hope the bootleg hat and tees are out Saturday in the lots. Have not seen them this year

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I'm wearing a blue raincoat. The rest of you can go suck it if you don't like it. :D

Don't judge me man. ;)

As an act of protest? I have trouble being told what to do, so when I hear of a 'white out' I automatically think to myself, "They can't make me!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom