Game Week - UConn @ Tulsa (11/03/18 @ 7p ET on CBSSN) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Game Week - UConn @ Tulsa (11/03/18 @ 7p ET on CBSSN)

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Gonna be tough w/ Twitter links not showing but...

Weekly Press Conference notes (these are chronological - ignore Twitter time stamps - its a cut&paste BY edit issue):

Jim Fuller @NHRJimFuller 3 minutes ago
Brandon Bisack, Sreve Krajewski worked behind starting QB at #UConn's practice today. Marvin Washington was working with scout team

Neill Ostrout @NeillOstrout 7 seconds ago
Randy Edsall wants to build a program. "Right now we just have a team."

Gavin Keefe @GavinKeefe 26 seconds ago
Edsall is more concerned about his team than the opponent at this stage. "My whole focus is developing the program here. "

Ed Daigneault @EdDaigneault 39 seconds ago
Edsall: "People don't want to hear it but I could care about winning and losing right now. If you don't have a culture, you're not going to win."

Jim Fuller @NHRJimFuller 57 seconds ago
#UConn coach Randy Edsall: "There are strides but you don't see it with wins and losses."

Neill Ostrout @NeillOstrout 38 seconds ago
Edsall says QB Marvin Washington won't travel again. "He can't be accountable for the things he's supposed to do."

Alex Putterman @AlexPutterman 1 minute ago
UConn back-up quarterback Marvin Washington practiced with the scout team today and won't make the trip to Tulsa, Randy Edsall says. Edsall didn't offer specifics but said Washington has to learn to be accountable.

Neill Ostrout @NeillOstrout 13 seconds ago
Edsall: “I want to win as much as anybody but we’re not ready to win yet.”

Jim Fuller @NHRJimFuller 3 minutes ago
"This is probably a 5-year process." #UConn coach Randy Edsall

Gavin Keefe @GavinKeefe 3 minutes ago
Edsall: "I made a decision to play all these young kids that weren't ready to play. But they were the best guys.”

Ed Daigneault @EdDaigneault 2 minutes ago
Edsall rolling today: "Everybody wants to put it in the microwave and hit 5 seconds. It's not like that. If people don't like it, tough ."

Edsall is starting to sound like a recycled version of Fiasco. Ws and Ls don't matter sounds like exhibition games.

Reaction Score
Edsall is starting to sound like a recycled version of Fiasco. Ws and Ls don't matter sounds like exhibition games.

You can only stand up there week after week and say we suck so many ways. It’s not like his message has changed.

I personally wouldn’t care if he didn’t have another press conference/coaches show till after the last game for a we sucked wrap-up heading into off-season - but we both know that isn’t happening.

Reaction Score
Fuller on today: Despite mounting losses, Randy Edsall confident he can restore Huskies’ winning ways

>>“I want to win just as much as anybody but we’re not ready to win yet,” Edsall said. “We have a lot of youth that don’t know how to win, don’t know how to pay the price yet because they haven’t been here, and I’m not criticizing but they don’t know. They’ll know, they’ll figure it out, they are figuring it out and we’ll get there but everybody wants to sprinkle the fairy dust, wants to put in the microwave for five seconds and think everything’s good. That isn’t what it’s all about in my book and if people don’t like it, tough (expletive).

“This is probably a five-year process. I’m not cry-babying or anything like that, complaining, I’m just saying this is the truth. I love these kids to death and they’re working their tails off. I have to make decisions based on what can help us be the best we can, and sometimes those decisions are tough decision to make but hey, I’m a leader and I have to make them. Some are good and some don’t turn out as well. I made a decision to play all of these young kids that weren’t ready to play but they were the best guys in my decision and in my coaching staff’s opinion.”<<

I find this incredibly annoying. When your own Coach publicly states that his TEAM IS NOT READY TO WIN games, the message being sent to the players is that they are LOSERS. It's like punching them in the face with negativity and screaming that there's no point in even trying, because they WILL NOT be successful. Fact is, when athletes "think" they will fail, they WILL FAIL and they will fail miserably.

Further, commentary like this has got to be devastating to any measure of confidence that remains in these kids. EVERYONE knows that one of the most vital components of athletic success is a good dose of confidence and self-belief. But from public comments like DP having small hands and the recent and awful AA reference; “We’re like the minor leagues. There’s a lot of Double-A ball players there and we have to get them to the major league level,” Edsall explained. NOTHING will change with so much negativity.

And then we hear about the need for the older and more experienced guys to step up and be leaders. Again, HCRE said "I made a decision to play all of these young kids that weren’t ready to play but they were the best guys in my decision and in my coaching staff’s opinion.” And many wonder why leadership is an issue? To put it simply, you just can't (basically) tell the upperclassmen they s*ck and then expect them to step-up and be leaders when any measure of credibility and/or respect they had has been undermined in one fell swoop of words.

Lastly... I keep going back to the South Florida game. The effort alone was heads and tails above other contests this year. USF is a good team and we put up a surprisingly good fight. I actually enjoyed every minute of that game. It felt like the Huskies were playing with purpose and reason. They were playing for Eli and they really WANTED to have a good showing to give Eli a boost. They convinced themselves they could do better and nobody can say they didn't give it a helluva try.

Awesome things can happen when members of a team start believing, "THEY CAN." Imagine what can happen when their leader believes the same.

Reaction Score
Don't read so much into it. No HC is going to tell reporters exactly what he feels. Its all a load of honkey.

He's only trying to say we suck. Entire team, from the AD down to the janitors. Thats all. Nothing more. Its true, lets move on.

Reaction Score
Awesome things can happen when members of a team start believing, "THEY CAN." Imagine what can happen when their leader believes the same.

Yea but our previous coach was like that and it didn't work out to well.

Bottom line is when the team sucks nothing the coach says is going to make people happy. He has to speak every week but its pointless.

Reaction Score
Putterman: UConn football hopes for strong performance against Jekyll-and-Hyde Tulsa team

>>Senior David Pindell will start under center Saturday and likely play most of the game. But if the contest isn’t close, Edsall and Dunn could take a look at freshman Steven Krajewski, a candidate for the QB1 role next year. With only four games left in the season, Krajewski can play as much as coaches want him to without losing his redshirt status, and Marvin Washington’s absence (for disciplinary reasons) will clear the way for him to see serious late-game opportunities.

“He’s a quarterback in every sense. He’s a leader,” Dunn said of Krajewski, a former three-star recruit out of Georgia. “He’s got the tangibles and the intangibles to where if he keeps developing, he’s got a chance to be a good player.”<<

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
Yea but our previous coach was like that and it didn't work out to well.

Bottom line is when the team sucks nothing the coach says is going to make people happy. He has to speak every week but its pointless.
Agreed that I'd rather not hear any Diaco-esque flowery BS, but maybe he should just shut the frock up for the most part. The passive aggressive "I love these kids but they suck" or "we're learning to win but we're going to lose" or "handsome boy with tiny little hands" or any other dumb crap is just making him look bad. Save yourself, Randy, and give out nothing. No compliments, no throwing kids under the bus. Just coach more and make kids learn how to tackle and block and let things fall into place, even if does take you 5 years.

Reaction Score
Fuller: Family, friends eager to see UConn freshman Caleb Thomas face Tulsa

>>“Your family does want you to be close to them, but my family, especially my parents, they believe in this program,” Thomas said. “They see Coach Edsall’s vision in what they want to do and how he can see us growing, how he can help me grow as a person, how he actually cares about me and not just as a football player. What he was talking about, he really sold it to us and we really believed it. It is hard me being this far away, but my parents can feel at ease knowing Coach Edsall is looking out for me more than just on the field. He is looking out for me in all aspects of life. He [wants] to see me develop as much as my parents want to see me develop and that is very reassuring.” <<

Also: Similar intel on Krajewski in here as w/ Putterman's article above.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
He's only trying to say we suck. Entire team, from the AD down to the janitors. Thats all. Nothing more. Its true, lets move on.
angry-janitor.jpg

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Is this game CBSSN or ESPNU? I thought it was ESPNU? Hope so.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom