Game Week - UConn @ Memphis (Saturday 10/6 @ 7:00p ET on CBSSN) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Game Week - UConn @ Memphis (Saturday 10/6 @ 7:00p ET on CBSSN)

Reaction Score
Weekly Press Conference Notes:

Neill Ostrout @NeillOstrout 13 seconds ago
UConn injuries: CB Tahj Herring-Wilson and LB Marshe Terry out. DT Ryan Fines out. TE Zordan Holman out. LB Eli Thomas out.

Gavin Keefe @GavinKeefe 6 seconds ago
Edsall plans to redshirt 15 players.

Jim Fuller @NHRJimFuller 33 seconds ago
#UConn coach Randy Edsall said 15 true freshmen will redshirt including several who have already played

Neill Ostrout @NeillOstrout 8 seconds ago
RB Dante Black is a tentative redshirt. Will be No. 3 RB. Will play if needed, but fewer than 5 games.

Gavin Keefe @GavinKeefe 9 seconds ago
Edsall told the redshirt players about their status. Some were disappointed, but Edsall is looking toward the future. "We're trying to do everything we can to win as many games as we can right now. The big picture is more important to me."

ThisIsUConnCountry @UConnSN
EDSALL ON REDSHIRTING: "There were guys that were disappointed, but other guys that understood. Pierce DeVaughn, guys like that, now they understand what they need to do. I told them when you're a 5th yr senior, you'll walk into this office and thank me." #UConnFootball

Neill Ostrout @NeillOstrout 49 seconds ago
Edsall confirms Haynes, Maurisseau, DeVaughn, Webb, Morrison, Banks, will redshirt.

ThisIsUConnCountry @UConnSN 3 minutes ago
OFFENSE FRESHMEN REDSHIRTING: #UConnFootball will redshirt 15 players. Krajewski, Black (3rd RB, would be used in 4 gms if needed), Gillespie, Heron, Jeffreys, Haynes, Niedwowski, Ofori-Nyadu & Rooney

ThisIsUConnCountry @UConnSN 2 minutes ago
DEFENSE FRESHMEN REDSHIRTING: Pierce DeVaughn, Hunter Webb, Terrence Ganyi, Jordan Morrison, Malik Banks & Jalon Ferrell #UConnFootball

Ed Daigneault @EdDaigneault 1 minute ago
Not surprisingly, most of the true frosh who will continue to play (10 of them) are on the defensive side.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Neill Ostrout @NeillOstrout 1 minute ago
Edsall: “If our program was where we wanted it to be, most of these kids would have never stepped on the field."

Jim Fuller @NHRJimFuller 19 seconds ago
#UConn coach Randy Edsall said there was no choice but to play the true freshmen on the defensive line and in the secondary

Neill Ostrout @NeillOstrout 27 seconds ago
Edsall on kickers: “It’s disappointing that we can’t find somebody that’s consistent.”

Gavin Keefe @GavinKeefe 20 seconds ago
Edsall said his decision on a starting kicker might be made during pre-game at Memphis. "It's disappointing that we can't find somebody that's consistent there."

Neill Ostrout @NeillOstrout 14 seconds ago
Edsall: “You’re not building a team, you’re building a program.”

Gavin Keefe @ Gavin Keefe 10 seconds ago
Edsall said the staff is hitting the road to recruit next week during bye week.

Neill Ostrout @NeillOstrout 38 seconds ago
Edsall says his entire staff (minus coordinators) will be on the road recruiting next week.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
"We're trying to do everything we can to win as many games as we can right now. The big picture is more important to me."

Are these two sentences saying the same or opposite things? I'm with the 4 year plan (previously felt should be 3 year plan on getting better) but see HCRE2.0 as too comfortable with his job not being in jeopardy until results for 2020 start coming in. Team defensive performance is 129th, talent may be 129th but also doubt anyone can claim coaching is much, if any, above 129th.

Reaction Score

>>The 10 freshmen who will continue to play are defensive tackle Travis Jones, defensive ends Jonathan Pace and Lwal Uguak, linebacker Kevon Jones, safeties Oneil Robinson and Messiah Turner and cornerbacks Keyshawn Paul, Ryan Carroll, Shamel Lazarus and Jeremy Lucien.<<

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Hour and a half for snacks. That is awesome. Makes a one hour lunch seem boring.

We've gone from winning breakfast to winning snack time. These are steps in the right direction.

Reaction Score
Fuller: Football: UConn to sit several freshman contributors to save season of eligibility

>>“You’re not building a team, you’re building a program and a program is the big picture,” Edsall said. “The team is from year to year but a program is for eternity and that’s what you are trying to do. That’s what we had before and that’s how we did it and as you look at things, we’re in a good spot when you take a look at the redshirt freshmen and now these freshmen, there are guys in there who are only going to continue to get better. We’ve got some guys in the sophomore group that still need to get a little bit stronger and we have to keep recruiting, we have to find those guys that fit what we’re doing.”<<

>>Edsall said his staff will use next week to hit the road recruiting as they reconnect with the players already committed as well as those on the Huskies’ recruiting radar.<<

Reaction Score
Neill Ostrout @NeillOstrout 1 minute ago
Edsall: “If our program was where we wanted it to be, most of these kids would have never stepped on the field."

Jim Fuller @NHRJimFuller 19 seconds ago
#UConn coach Randy Edsall said there was no choice but to play the true freshmen on the defensive line and in the secondary

Neill Ostrout @NeillOstrout 27 seconds ago
Edsall on kickers: “It’s disappointing that we can’t find somebody that’s consistent.”

Gavin Keefe @GavinKeefe 20 seconds ago
Edsall said his decision on a starting kicker might be made during pre-game at Memphis. "It's disappointing that we can't find somebody that's consistent there."

Neill Ostrout @NeillOstrout 14 seconds ago
Edsall: “You’re not building a team, you’re building a program.”

Gavin Keefe @ Gavin Keefe 10 seconds ago
Edsall said the staff is hitting the road to recruit next week during bye week.

Neill Ostrout @NeillOstrout 38 seconds ago
Edsall says his entire staff (minus coordinators) will be on the road recruiting next week.
I agree with redshirting any freshmen, however, the intent of the new rule is to give these players experience without getting penalized. Now Edsall has come out and said there are certain offensive players that will not play at all. I can understand if a freshman has already played four games but some athletes (i.e. Rooney, Black, Niedowski, Krajewski and Ofori-Nyau) haven’t even touched the field. So, why should they not play? Why would Edsall not want to take advantage of the four games and get these players experience? I also can’t understand why he would have his two highest ranked recruits (Black and Krajewski) sit out all year. Especially, when they were both spoken of very highly by the coaching staff, analysts and several reporters. These are two skilled positions that could use some help right now. The team cannot rely on Pindell to put this team on his back every week. And God willing he does not go out with an injury. If these offensive guys are suppose to be the future of UConn football then their butts should be on the field and not on the bench.

Reaction Score
I can understand if a freshman has already played four games but some athletes (i.e. Rooney, Black, Niedowski, Krajewski and Ofori-Nyau) haven’t even touched the field. So, why should they not play?

If I was a betting man - Rooney, Niedowski and Ofori- Nyadu are underweight @ this point for their position (and Ofori-Nyadu is coming off rehabbing an injury as well) and need more strength and conditioning. Why risk it?

Edsall said he would use Black if needed due to injury for no more than 4 games if necessary.

Reaction Score
Putterman: Quarterback David Pindell's Knee Remains A Question Mark Ahead of UConn's Game At Memphis

>>Offensive coordinator John Dunn said he has to take Pindell’s knee into account as he develops a game plan.

“I can kind of protect him with some of the calls,” Dunn said. “It’s not like it’s a new offense by any stretch. You might limit some of the things you do and ramp up some of the complements to it.”

UConn’s offense has been at its best this season when Pindell has used his legs. He had 157 rushing yards in the season opener against UCF and 137 in the Huskies’ lone win, against Rhode Island. But in the end, Dunn said, the offense must be prepare for a fully healthy Pindell or a slightly hobbled one.

“In my mind, there’s always the contingency plan,” Dunn said. “So I don’t think it’s always all eggs in one basket.”<<

Reaction Score
I would get some snaps for the Polish kid. Seeing real game action a couple of time this year would speed his development. Even if its just some hand offs and swing passes.

Reaction Score
I would get some snaps for the Polish kid. Seeing real game action a couple of time this year would speed his development. Even if its just some hand offs and swing passes.

His name is Steven Krajewski and maybe if we are winning by 25-30 points maybe I would let him take a few snaps. Otherwise let’s just keep in Pindell so we can hopefully win another game.

Reaction Score
His name is Steven Krajewski and maybe if we are winning by 25-30 points maybe I would let him take a few snaps. Otherwise let’s just keep in Pindell so we can hopefully win another game.
What’s the difference if we are losing by 25-30 points? Washington has shown what he can do in the last two games. It would be interesting to see what Krajewski brings to the table. Why wait till next year and bring him in with zero experience?

Reaction Score
What if we're losing by five touchdowns. Why not let him feel the speed of the game?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom