Game Week - UConn @ Houston | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Game Week - UConn @ Houston

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
Ed Daigneault@EdDaigneaultjust now
Diaco says he has seen improvement in all three phases of the game from the Huskies.

Neill Ostrout@NeillOstrout just now
Diaco on TE Tyler Davis: “He’s coming on. He’s still a liability blocking. That’s going to be the final thing to come.”

Neill Ostrout@NeillOstrout just now
Diaco on Houston revenge factor: It has no use in the game. Zero. It might last a minute and a half. The players play. They do their jobs.”

Neill Ostrout@NeillOstrout 1 min ago
Diaco calls such talk “The game week propaganda”

Ed Daigneault@EdDaigneault just now
Diaco says Houston's desire for revenge, if pounded home all week, doesn't really matter when the ball is kicked off.

this is very funny considering the entire Oline suffers from the same problem

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
ESPN sideline reporter Laura Rutledge might be the only thing worth watching Thursday night.

Could be worse. Could be Gilmore and Tessitore. I can't stand those a$holes...

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Take Houston with the points.

Sherman is going to blow the roof off of UConn.

Unlike Diaco he cares about outcomes and realizes optics and outcome can be combined.

Reaction Score
Could be worse. Could be Gilmore and Tessitore. I can't stand those a$holes...

We have Jesse Palmer all night...... IMO that is worse.... he will be gushing over Houston, Herman and Ward from the first minute into the broadcast.

Reaction Score

So how do you defend the guy that makes Houston impossible to defend. It might seem like our bend don't break stay in your zone philosophy could slow him down or at least contain him inside the pocket. But Greg Ward can hurt you inside or outside the tackle box and that could lead to long possessions and a tired defense.

So do we sit back or pressure? Or do we assign someone to shadow or blitz when available. Is Obi our best athlete to do that? Will some contact early help to slow Ward down? I'd prefer we try some variation of our stock defense because I think it ensures a slow death and ultimately a very tired defense giving up big yards in the air, and by the second half some very long runs.

Thoughts?

Reaction Score
Will some contact early help to slow Ward down?

He needs to feel a body hitting him each and every play... he should have to have a lineman extend a hand to assist him up every down.

I'm not worried about our conditioning at this point... they manned up each game so far.

Reaction Score
From Herman Press Conference:

Joseph Duarte@Joseph_Duarte 1 hour ago
Tom Herman on #LSU: ‘Me ranting and raving isn’t going to change it.’ Calls rumors ‘irresponsible journalism.'

Tom Herman on rumors and effect on team: ‘It’s really a non-issue. We are so very open and honest that if it was I would know about it.'

Tom Herman on UConn loss in 2015: ‘I’d be foolish to not think there is some added motivation to atone for the wrongs that were committed.'

Lainie Fritz@KPRC2Lainie 22 mins ago
.@CoachTomHerman on UConn defense: "Very difficult to run the football inside" #Cougars@KPRC2

Houston Chronicle: UH coach Tom Herman sits tight amid tidal wave of interest

>>I asked Herman this week if he ever thinks about his career trajectory - or people deciding it for him? "No, it's day-to-day," he said without hesitation. "I want to beat UConn. That's all I'm concerned with." Are you happy in Houston? "Yes, very happy," he said. Then he politely told me: "That's all you're getting."<<

Reaction Score
Houston Chronicle: UH coach Tom Herman sits tight amid tidal wave of interest

>>I asked Herman this week if he ever thinks about his career trajectory - or people deciding it for him? "No, it's day-to-day," he said without hesitation. "I want to beat UConn. That's all I'm concerned with." Are you happy in Houston? "Yes, very happy," he said. Then he politely told me: "That's all you're getting."<<

He's CLEARLY distracted..... I like our chances!

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
So how do you defend the guy that makes Houston impossible to defend. It might seem like our bend don't break stay in your zone philosophy could slow him down or at least contain him inside the pocket. But Greg Ward can hurt you inside or outside the tackle box and that could lead to long possessions and a tired defense.

So do we sit back or pressure? Or do we assign someone to shadow or blitz when available. Is Obi our best athlete to do that? Will some contact early help to slow Ward down? I'd prefer we try some variation of our stock defense because I think it ensures a slow death and ultimately a very tired defense giving up big yards in the air, and by the second half some very long runs.

Thoughts?

I keep a quick linebacker (Joseph probably) shadowing him all night and hitting him on every play. He needs to be rattled.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Yikes. So god forbid Crozier were to get hurt, the only backup available is himself getting over a lingering injury (Vechery)?

Lost in all of the kerfuffle is how much of a tough time the OL has had staying healthy. No disrespect to Kyle Schafenacker, whom I'm sure practices and plays as hard as he can, but it's shocking that we were down to our fourth-string LG in only the fourth game of the year.
Who should be UConn's 4th string guard has actually been starting all season at right guard.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He needs to feel a body hitting him each and every play... he should have to have a lineman extend a hand to assist him up every down.

I'm not worried about our conditioning at this point... they manned up each game so far.

I am much more worried about their defense than their offense. Their DL looks very good.

Cinci lead them early in the 4th then the exploded. OU has only beaten Louisiana Monroe so who knows what they are. The other two wins for UH are Lamar and Texas State.

Reaction Score

Thoughts?
Other than playing 13 men (0ne spy and one deep, deep safety), this is the one of the few times where Diaco's rope a dope, bend and then break might at least slow them down. I think if we bring extra pressure, we get killed. If we rush four, 2 need to play contain rush, stay in their lane and not collapse down or get up field too far. Ward has to be penned in and the field options limited to moving up into the middle of the field where LB support is. Rushing only 3 will be a huge mistake. It creates to many lanes for Ward to run and in the open field a lineman/extra backer doesn't stand a chance if they try and stretch the field and make our DBs and LBs drop. Bringing a SS with some size and speed in a nickel package might work, especially if he is keyed on the QB. The down side is the middle gets pretty soft against run support and they have good backs as well. This means the DL has to get off blocks and make tackles, which we are pretty decent at. If we play man cover, we are going to get eaten alive by faster, better athletes. Zone cover is the best poison to hopefully limit them to underneath throwing. Going to be a long night, but you never know.

The other option is you go with kitchen sink and bring big pressure and take your chances that you get lit up. I think Fiasco goes with the conservative, keep them in front option.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Just was poking around online and noticed this from the UofH website on their Facebook feed:

"First 2,500 to park in the lot beginning at 2 pm receive a voucher for a FREE Hot Dog and Coke. Go Coogs!"

Like do they have a hard time getting their fans to tailgate down there?? I know its a weeknight game, but this really shocked me. Could you imagine how many hot dogs and sodas Benedict would have to put on the UConn credit card if something like this happened here for a 'big' game?

Reaction Score
Just was poking around online and noticed this from the UofH website on their Facebook feed:

"First 2,500 to park in the lot beginning at 2 pm receive a voucher for a FREE Hot Dog and Coke. Go Coogs!"

Like do they have a hard time getting their fans to tailgate down there?? I know its a weeknight game, but this really shocked me. Could you imagine how many hot dogs and sodas Benedict would have to put on the UConn credit card if something like this happened here for a 'big' game?
Judging by the Syracuse crowd, one Costco pack of dogs and a few 2 liters should do the trick...

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Its not even the run of Greg Ward Jr. that will kill us, its him lighting up our undermatched secondary which is been slow and giving 10-15 yards on receivers off the line all season long. He's going to have a revenge night aginst us tomorrow and get huge numbers. If we have any shot we have to rush the passer as much as possible and hit the WR's off the line. No more of this giving these guys 10 yards off the bat!

Reaction Score

They are trying to encourage off campus parking and public transportation - Minute Maid Park is where the Astros play - 20 minutes ride from TDECU Stadium
04.jpg

Reaction Score
They are trying to encourage off campus parking and public transportation - Minute Maid Park is where the Astros play - 20 minutes ride from TDECU Stadium
View attachment 15870

Thats definitely what it is. Many of the lots around the stadium will still have students parked for classes. Trying to get fans to use alternative parking to prevent a total traffic disaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom