Game Week - UConn @ #20/#21 USF (10/20/18 @ 7p) on CBSSN | The Boneyard

Game Week - UConn @ #20/#21 USF (10/20/18 @ 7p) on CBSSN

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I'm afraid USF already cashed in their early season trap game scare last week at Tulsa. Coach Strong will have them ready to beat up on our overmatched squad at home to get back on track before their road game at Houston. Going to watch through my fingers.

Reaction Score
If that's the actual line, we might cover for the first time this year. Nothing USF has done this year tells me they can beat anybody by 31. We clearly haven't been good either, but I'm thinking the bye week will do us some good.

Reaction Score
If that's the actual line, we might cover for the first time this year. Nothing USF has done this year tells me they can beat anybody by 31. We clearly haven't been good either, but I'm thinking the bye week will do us some good.
Give the points. UConn is the worst team in college football against the spread. 10 worst since 2013

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Give the points. UConn is the worst team in college football against the spread. 10 worst since 2003
I'm not going to pretend that we're a good team. But we're 0-6 against the spread so far and 31 points seems like a lot for a team that isn't nearly as good as their record shows. We'll see what happens. It'd be nice to not get embarrassed for once.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I'm not going to pretend that we're a good team. But we're 0-6 against the spread so far and 31 points seems like a lot for a team that isn't nearly as good as their record shows. We'll see what happens. It'd be nice to not get embarrassed for once.

They’re definitely the worst team we’ll have played outside of URI. They will beat us by at least 20, but I dunno about 31

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I dunno. It's a road game and we are even more awful on the road. Our D is historically bad and one of its leaders just had a very major medical scare in the bye. USF is coming off a wake up call near loss to a team they should've pummeled. They're at home - which isn't a big deal because they've never drawn well but it beats going on the road. Unfortunately, I don't think 31 is nearly enough points. The only chance at a cover here is through the back door's back door.

Hopefully once this game is done, the guys will be able to attack the 2nd half of the schedule full steam ahead. We'll be underdogs in all of our games but the lines won't be as high as they were for our front half opponents for the most part.

Reaction Score
We are historically bad. 31 seems low. The only variable is whether the offense can put up more points to close the gap. USF will put up over 50.

Reaction Score
Games Notes and Depth Charts for both teams added to first post above.

Reaction Score
We've always had trouble with USF's speed & athleticism, even in the Big East days (they get all Florida kids, we don't). The games we won were close, the games they won - some were close and some were routs. Mostly routs recently. Take away the Rhode Island game and our smallest margin of defeat this season (albeit all the garbage time stuff) is 30 pts to Syracuse.

Not sure we can cover unless the offense really breaks out. We've yet to really see anything from this defense to show that they're improving. Maybe the week off will help.

Reaction Score
Weekly Press Conference Notes:

Ed Daigneault @EdDaigneault 58 seconds ago
UConn about to play another team (USF) that is undefeated at the time of the game. That would make six such foes in seven games.

Jim Fuller @NHRJimFuller 34 seconds ago
#UConn football coach Randy Edsall opens up press conference saying "Just another week playing another undefeated team."

Storrs South @UConn6thBorough
Including this weekend's game with USF, UConn Football opponents have a combined record of 34-9 this season

Gavin Keefe @GavinKeefe 35 seconds ago
Edsall called the bye week beneficial. Gave players a chance to get healthy and coaches a chance to recruit.

Gavin Keefe @GavinKeefe 34 seconds ago
Edsall on evaluating his team during bye week: "You take a look at yourself and evalute to see what you can do to get better. Our options are limited in terms of personnel and what we can do."

Ed Daigneault @EdDaigneault
Edsall says he's not going to panic, that he and the staff believe in what they're doing.

Neill Ostrout @NeillOstrout 17 seconds ago
UConn coach Randy Edsall: “I’m not going to panic or anything like that. ... We didn't re-invent the wheel (during off week).”

Neill Ostrout @NeillOstrout 6 seconds ago
DT Kevin Murphy (knee) probably out this week.

Ed Daigneault 1 minute ago
Edsall says guys who didn't play in the first six weeks will play in the second half so the staff can see what those players might be able to bring to the table.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Neill Ostrout @NeillOstrout 19 seconds ago
Santana Sterling will wear Eli Thomas' No. 22 for the rest of the season.

Ed Daigneault @EdDaigneault 42 seconds ago
Omar Fortt wore Eli Thomas' No. 22 jersey in practice today. Santana Sterling will wear it in games going forward.

Gavin Keefe @GavinKeefe 32 seconds ago
Edsall received word about Thomas while on a recruiting trip.

Neill Ostrout @NeillOstrout 24 seconds ago
Randy Edsall cut his recruiting trip short last week to see Eli Thomas in the hospital.

Jim Fuller @NHRJimFuller 1 minute ago
#UConn's Randy Edsall on the work on athletic trainers in situation with Eli Thomas: "They did an absolutely phenomenal job."

Patrick Eaton-Robb @peatonrobb 48 seconds ago
#UConn coach Randy Edsall praises the job his trainers did in responding to Eli Thomas' stroke, says the surgeon told them it was fastest anyone had recognized the problem and gotten someone to him.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Gavin Keefe @GavinKeefe 2 minutes ago
Edsall said don't assume it is going to be a small recruiting class just because only a handful of seniors on roster. "I'm going to do what I have to do to get this thing right as quickly as I possibly can doing it the right way with the right people."

Neill Ostrout @NeillOstrout 1 minute ago
Edsall on number of recruits he'll bring in for 2019: "Don't assume it's going to be a small class."

Neill Ostrout @NeillOstrout 15 seconds ago
Edsall says "5th years aren't guaranteed.... I'm going to do what I have to do to get this thing going quickly."

Ed Daigneault @EdDaigneault 1 minute ago
Edsall giving some glimpse into what might happen regarding recruiting and current roster. "Nobody is guaranteed a fifth year. We'll graduate our guys and then there are decisions you have to make as a head coach."

Alex Putterman @AlexPutterman
Randy Edsall said he will turn away players with eligibility remaining if he thinks their scholarships will be better used on freshmen recruits. "Remember, nobody's guaranteed a fifth year. Nobody."

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Sometimes, tragedy can galvanize a team. We've seen that before at UConn, for the great #6. The Eli Thomas health situation may be such a moment.

Don't be surprised if the Huskies come out strong. UConn Huskies: go, fight, win!!!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We've always had trouble with USF's speed & athleticism, even in the Big East days (they get all Florida kids, we don't). The games we won were close, the games they won - some were close and some were routs. Mostly routs recently. Take away the Rhode Island game and our smallest margin of defeat this season (albeit all the garbage time stuff) is 30 pts to Syracuse.

Not sure we can cover unless the offense really breaks out. We've yet to really see anything from this defense to show that they're improving. Maybe the week off will help.

So 30 points to a Syracuse team that is better than USF. I think we can actually cover this spread. I don't know how USF is ranked after barely beating three bad teams in ECU, Tulsa and Illinois. They struggled to beat a very meh GT team as well. Houston is going to destroy them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom