Game thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
A beautiful game by UCONN. Congratulations to our girls on another American Championship.

Reaction Score
You mean USF is playing good D. They are deservedly ranked.
All too often good defense causes many to assume it's "lousy offense". USF is very athletic and well coached though I think they're a little too "physical" but they do play defense.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Even after that great second half run Geno's late-game frustration with Butler and probably a couple others was palpable.

Reaction Score
Even after that great second half run Geno's late-game frustration with Butler and probably a couple others was palpable.
In fairness there were not that many bench minutes tonight outside of Gabby's. If someone's going to be frustrated because Butler didn't put up a double-double in the final 3 1/2 minutes of the game, then I'd have to say the expectations are just a bit unrealistic.

Reaction Score
I turned on the game a bit late, with UConn having a one point lead halfway through the 2nd quarter. From the time I turned it on, I was awed by the tenacity of the UConn defense and thought they played unbelievably. Mo plays so well defensively and is so quick! Breanna had a monster game on both ends and made a few spectacular blocks. The player that I'm really impressed with on the defensive end is Lou because I think she really has come such a long way. At the end of the year an awful lot of Boneyarders were talking about her being a liability on the defensive end and now I think she's a BIG attribute. She has great hands and knows exactly where to minimize the effectiveness of her opponent. I think she's going to be a great one because she's got such a wonderful demeanor and has already made the strides that she has. Her confidence in her offensive game is back (if she ever lost it) and she is showing a very nice mid-range game on top of stellar three point shooting. She distributes the ball so well as attested to by her assists and even that doesn't truly show her value. If I had to say who is my favorite Huskie at this time, I'd probably go with MoJeff at this moment but Lou is coming on strong. I do have to say that Breanna played a phenomenal game today on both ends of the court and she is so much more a player than she was when she first came to Storrs. She excels in every aspect of the game and I think we may see Lou do that before she's done here. Lou doesn't have the wingspan of Breanna so she surely won't be the shot blocker that Stewie was or probably as good a rebounder as Stewie is NOW! On the offensive end though, she may possibly end up better but that is something we won't know for a very long time. I just hope that her supporting cast ends up playing at a level near the level that Breanna's supporting cast did. MORGAN, come back, please?????

Reaction Score
I"d like to see most of the bench in at this point. I realize USF has starters out there and we will likely be outscored, but it seems like a 30 point cushion is enough and I think it would be good for the reserves to test themselves on offense and defense...
Eric, I think Geno heard you! Good input!

Reaction Score
Up by 28 and Geno's screaming at Stewie for a walk
That's why some kids come to UConn. There's no plays off for Geno. Every possession is it's own test of commitment. A good philosophy because when kids start taking plays off, bad things happen. Sometimes you can't just turn on and turn off.

Reaction Score
UCONN needs to go back to the drawing board with their poor offensive execution. In the 2nd half starting from 3rd quarter to 7:30 in the 4th quarter they were only 14-17 (82.4%) from the floor. How the heck did they miss those three shots?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Run those stairs!!!!

Reaction Score
Up by 28 and Geno's screaming at Stewie for a walk
That's why some kids come to UConn. There's no plays off for Geno. Every possession is it's own test of commitment. A good philosophy because when kids start taking plays off, bad things happen. Sometimes you can't just turn on and turn off.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
In fairness there were not that many bench minutes tonight outside of Gabby's. If someone's going to be frustrated because Butler didn't put up a double-double in the final 3 1/2 minutes of the game, then I'd have to say the expectations are just a bit unrealistic.

He was clearly unhappy with the last two minutes. He even tried to get them to run a play when they could've run the clock out in the dying seconds and was up directing traffic in otherwise meaningless possessions.

Reaction Score
interesting comparison of Lou and Stewie at around the 4:00 mark of the presser

Reaction Score
interesting comparison of Lou and Stewie at around the 4:00 mark of the presser

Unfortunately I can't listen to the presser. It doesn't work. What did he say?

Reaction Score
Did anyone else catch Geno teasing Stewie before the first reporter asks a question? "Those three rebounds you got were huge."
But Stewie got back at him, or at least tried. When she got up to leave, she tried to mess up his hair. He ducked.

Reaction Score
Two last game observations that I have not yet read....

1. The leading AAC rebounder Alicia Jenkins (12 rpg) held to just two rebounds- what an awesome job on the boards by our 'guys.'

2. The officiating tonight was really excellent. Both ways. No ticky-tack crap, they let the kids play. A well done, professional job by Vaszily, Forsberg and Brooks.

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
Two last game observations that I have not yet read....

1. The leading AAC rebounder Alicia Jenkins (12 rpg) held to just two rebounds- what an awesome job on the boards by our 'guys.'

2. The officiating tonight was really excellent. Both ways. No ticky-tack crap, they let the kids play. A well done, professional job by Vaszily, Forsberg and Brooks.

On your second point, I was wondering if three FT attempts by both teams combined might've set some kind of UConn record. And oddly, all three of them came off of made baskets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom