game thread: | Page 8 | The Boneyard

game thread:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sorry guys...I mistakenly put on La Traviata in the second half...my apologies to any of the young ladies led astray...tomorrow it's Wagner all the way...

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Sorry guys...I mistakenly put on La Traviata in the second half...my apologies to any of the young ladies led astray...tomorrow it's Wagner all the way...
No, no Wagner.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
What about the guarding of Mo, standing over her so she can't see anything? What's with that and how can it be broken?

She split a double team nicely in the first half to hit the post but she had to jump high to do it :)

Reaction Score
Bria dribbles to much. Too many bad passes. Stef needs to make easy chip shots against better teams her field goal avg way down in post season so far. Also to many stupid fouls by Stef. Where was KML tonight. We are not an athletic team no one can shoot off the dribble, they depend on screens to get them open

Reaction Score
Think Bach and the mathematical precision and crispness of counterpoint. And make sure the Italian operas get nowhere near the turntable.

Si...but I may flirt with a little Carmen for Kaleena...it's time for a little mezzo soprano overdrive...

Reaction Score
I think you guys are way off. What we need is a little Miles Davis up in here.

See, ND's best players are jazz musicians, and we're straight classical. Diggins and McBride know how to improvise in flow, but our Huskies need everything to be precise, perfect, and just so. Problem is, we're not a team of virtuosos. We have a few promising soloists, but we also have second and third chair players who need to follow a leader.

And when these rude scat cats play loud and keep us from staying in sync, we tend to lose the beat entirely.

So tomorrow, gang, instead of walking onstage and feeling the crowd's eyes boring into you with each missed cue...just seize the limelight and do what you know in your bones you can do. Enjoy being young and talented and playing the game that's been yours your whole life. Keep on eye on the crazy maestro gesticulating wildly on the sidelines, but make sure to listen to and play off each other the most.

Then only beautiful music will flow.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
That's Act 1...all poetry and seduction...

Not to be "the guy who always introduces Tennessee into a UConn thread", but..

can you imagine the reaction on The Summitt to this discussion about which opera to play during tonights game? Has anybody ever discussed opera on checkerboard square, much less German vs. Italian, much less lamentation vs. "poetry & seduction"? Act I vs. Act III?

I can see it now - or, better yet, hear it! "Thar they wuz, talkin' bout opera! German opera and, Eye-talian opera, like Gino thar! An' poe-tree n' see-duction! Then sumbuddy said "Uh-uh! Nossir! Gotta be jazz music, 'cuz the Ahrish kin im-pro-viz!"

I think this whole line of discussion would evoke a creamsicle chorus of "Whut the hail?"!

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

See, ND's best players are jazz musicians, and we're straight classical. Diggins and McBride know how to improvise in flow, but our Huskies need everything to be precise, perfect, and just so. Problem is, we're not a team of virtuosos. We have a few promising soloists, but we also have second and third chair players who need to follow a leader.

And when these rude scat cats play loud and keep us from staying in sync, we tend to lose the beat entirely.

So tomorrow, gang, instead of walking onstage and feeling the crowd's eyes boring into you with each missed cue...just seize the limelight and do what you know in your bones you can do. Enjoy being young and talented and playing the game that's been yours your whole life. Keep on eye on the crazy maestro gesticulating wildly on the sidelines, but make sure to listen to and play off each other the most.

Great post!

Bird lives!

Reaction Score

I have to say...you nailed it...

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Great post!

Bird lives!
Sometimes it looks more like we are playing some atonal Stravinsky or Schoenberg, what we need tonight is more Tchaikovsky's 1812 or Beethoven's 9th.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Sometimes it looks more like we are playing some atonal Stravinsky or Schoenberg, what we need tonight is more Tchaikovsky's 1812 or Beethoven's 9th.
Yes something triumphant.
This is how you do it.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I have the Telarc 1812 vinyl recording on 200g heavy disk. It has a warning for the cannon shots about volume and excessive cone excursion. When you look at the groove it literally jumps directly sideways a visible amount, probably a couple of hundredths. Unbelievable impact.

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-99837-...el-cincinnati-symphony-orchestra-200g-lp.aspx
My high school band played the 1812 I think for our winter concert, Senior year. We had a couple guys shoot shotguns into old metal trash barrels (the kind you used to could actually burn in). Inside the auditorium. Pretty effective. Scared the $&!# out of us the first time they did it in rehearsal.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I have the Telarc 1812 vinyl recording on 200g heavy disk. It has a warning for the cannon shots about volume and excessive cone excursion. When you look at the groove it literally jumps directly sideways a visible amount, probably a couple of hundredths. Unbelievable impact.

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-99837-...el-cincinnati-symphony-orchestra-200g-lp.aspx

Do you have an original Telarc pressing from back in the day or a re-issue? That was probably the most legendary record ever pressed from a strict audiophile standpoint. I want to say that was around 1981 or '82.

What's your TT/cart setup? Those cannon shot grooves are nearly impossible to track! At the time of the original release, it was quite common for the cart to be literally thrown [visibly] out of the groove....

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

If we stick with the classical idiom, then the pieces from the real classical period would be even better, as the composers allowed (expected!) skilled improvisation on the well-structured themes. That, and the sonata form was really at the fore--themes and melodies shared around among sections, developed, adapted, turned around, but all making sense on both an intellectual *and* intuitive level. Probably the best analogy we could hope for :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom