Game Thread | Page 28 | The Boneyard

Game Thread

Reaction Score
For those comparing this to the Maine game, no, it's just not the same. That staff had 2 seasons and 3 springs and fall camps with the guys. This staff is still finding what works. I'm disappointed in a lot that happened. For one, you need ball control no matter who you play. I wanted and expected 35-40 plus points. In the end we got the W and added to a lead in the 4th. Lets keep our heads and watch this team improve throughout the season.

For the record, I still stand with Dan. 15-0.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
We scored 27 points tonight. Just sayin'

That's not exactly anything to be proud of vs. a mediocre I-AA team. Heck, even Bobby Disastro scored 24 against a better I-AA opponent last season vs. Maine.

The truly frightening thing about it is I can envision this being our biggest offensive output of the season if the dumpster fire that is our OL doesn't figure a few things out in a real hurry. Anything from 1-11 to maybe 4-8 is definitely in play. I think we can forget about anything better than that.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Is it wrong to be disappointed in Lashlee as it felt like he didn't understand what his players were capable of?

No, it's not.

Reaction Score
That's not exactly anything to be proud of vs. a mediocre I-AA team. Heck, even Bobby Disastro scored 24 against a better I-AA opponent last season vs. Maine.
That team was year three Diaco recruits in year three of his offensive and defensive schemes. These kids are learning radically new systems really in all three phases (this new-fangled "return the punt" scheme) with a completely re-hauled staff. Things aren't going to click perfectly in game 1.

Reaction Score
That team was year three Diaco recruits in year three of his offensive and defensive schemes. These kids are learning radically new systems really in all three phases (this new-fangled "return the punt" scheme) with a completely re-hauled staff. Things aren't going to click perfectly in game 1.
I don't like to live in fantasy land, but if you take away the two backbreaking turnovers near our own 20 in the first half, the game is entirely different. Those were the momentum killers. Have to learn from those mistakes.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I don't like to live in fantasy land, but if you take away the two backbreaking turnovers near our own 20 in the first half, the game is entirely different. Those were the momentum killers. Have to learn from those mistakes.

If you look at the stats the game shouldn't have been close two short field TD's is a surefire way to keep the game close.

Reaction Score
If you look at the stats the game shouldn't have been close two short field TD's is a surefire way to keep the game close.
Exactly. After one of the best drives we've seen in the past few years resulted in a touchdown, the defense forced a punt on the next possession, then came the Pindell fumble that led to a HC touchdown. If the offense replicated the drive before the fumble, the score is 14-3 and HC is on it's heels.

Reaction Score
Exactly. After one of the best drives we've seen in the past few years resulted in a touchdown, the defense forced a punt on the next possession, then came the Pindell fumble that led to a HC touchdown. If the offense replicated the drive before the fumble, the score is 14-3 and HC is on it's heels.
The offensive woes (wasn't just the TOs; lots of 3-and-outs, and I think we were like 1/9 converting 3rd down before Shirreffs came in) forced the D to play nearly all second quarter. What did we run, 9 total offensive plays in that quarter? Then go figure after some rest and some offensive competency in the second half, they shut HC out.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I thought the D looked soft.. but I don't want to hang them out to dry just yet. Both touchdowns came off turnovers that left HC with very short fields to work with. Gotta keep them out of the end zone, but the fumble by Pindell and the fumbled kick return with Swann really handcuffed the D. That fumble recovery at the end was huge.. YUGE!!

Reaction Score
I'll own that. Left at halftime and am currently sitting on my couch watching., so if they come back to win I think I deserve some credit for the turnaround.

Gotta confess I left at the half too. First time I've done that, but every man has his breaking point (moreso because I had to work early this AM - only drawback to Thursday night games). Glad I at least kept IMG on until getting home and catching the end on SNY.

Reaction Score
How did that kid wind up playing QB at Holy Cross?
Yeah, really. But HC has high level academics and that is very attractive to Patriot and Ivy League kids. And D-3 NESCAC has some great athletes who could play at the FBS level as well, simply because they like the academic challenge.

Reaction Score
I wou
I told ya' we'd find a way to lose.....worst head coach in America, you're lucky you have Edsall
l wouldn't say that at all. Your guys were supposed to get blown out and instead lost by 7.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what some of you were watching. There were a lot of positives to take from that game.

The offensive scheme looked like a bona fide FBS offense. Blocking was non-existent and execution was poor st times but, if they do what they are supposed to do, this team will score a lot compared to last UConn squads.

We have a return game and intend to use it.

I thought Pindell showed a distinct lack of zip on the ball. A lot of his passes were hanging ducks. The fumble bordered on unforgivable but, he made decent reads and for the most part delivered the ball. RE was right to pull him for not producing and being errant with too many balls.

I'd have no issue giving him another shot, but I think BS is better right now so any leash would be pretty short.

The lack of coverage and run to the ball on D is the most disturbing thing from last night. Multiple guys were open on every play. Tre Bell did not have s good game nor did the younger guys in the secondary. Britton was the only one who looked good for most of the game.

There was definitely a lack of zip on the ball from Pindell. I would bet due to nerves. No way we wins the job floating balls around like that in practice. The lack of zip allowed defenders to close in and either break up or immediately tackle the receiver. BS was really slinging it around with a lot of zip. I would bet that Pindell will learn and be much better the next time he plays (next week?).

Reaction Score
And D-3 NESCAC has some great athletes who could play at the FBS level as well, simply because they like the academic challenge.
If that was the case, wouldn't someone be winning a championship more frequently? NESCAC is a great conference, I know, but that good?

Reaction Score
If that was the case, wouldn't someone be winning a championship more frequently? NESCAC is a great conference, I know, but that good?
Maybe only one or two maximum per team. NESCAC and other D-3s are looked upon as as academically rigorous as the Ivies and some are harder to get in. Very attractive. I knew a hockey player for instance who could easily have played D-1 who went to Williams. And look at the Ivies competing with the big boys in hockey. Same thing. Foregoing full rides to get an Ivy degree.

Reaction Score
I kind of agree with that, actually. Turnovers totally changed the complexion of the game especially 2 fumbles inside the 30 on almost back to back possessions. Other than those this game played out like a lot of 1AA games will. The 1A team pretty much shut them down in the red zone except when they started in the red zone. The Crusaders missed on both 4th down tries in the second half and I don't think they converted a 3rd down either--maybe one. As for the play calling I did think it wasn't very creative early. I kind of thought that reflected 2 things. First it was the first game and they wanted to get get the new guy at qb aclimated. 2. They didn't want to run too much of the playbook if it wasn't needed. Once it became necessary I thought they were a bit more creative. When they changed qb and committed to Hopkins as the running back it looked like the offense I at least was expecting. Sherriffs first scoring drive took something like 1:10 and felt even faster.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom