Game Thread UConn vs ND | Page 22 | The Boneyard

Game Thread UConn vs ND

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
More than that I expect our timing to be improved, our screens and picks to be better and the team including the fresh to have a much better command of the offense and the varying options within motion.

Probably. It's been a re-haul without Dolson. As I said, I'm hoping Williams develops and becomes a part of that. She isn't trusted yet like Nurse is. She played 5 minutes today, mostly late. I want her to be at a point where she can play 10 minutes with the game still in question.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Probably. It's been a re-haul without Dolson. As I said, I'm hoping Williams develops and becomes a part of that. She isn't trusted yet like Nurse is. She played 5 minutes today, mostly late. I want her to be at a point where she can play 10 minutes with the game still in question.
I expect she will be with time.

Reaction Score
Records are meaningless at this point as the various rating services provide sufficient evidence to see. Beating a wounded two loss Duke team by one doesn't keep them in first for me.
I really don't think you or any UConn fan truly believes this. If the shoe was on the other foot, you and I both know everyone here would be screaming bloody murder about how the world has it out for UConn, and how can you drop an undefeated UConn team down just because their opposition had a couple of kids hurt while a team with 1 loss moves ahead.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I really don't think you or any UConn fan truly believes this. If the shoe was on the other foot, you and I both know everyone here would be screaming bloody murder about how the world has it out for UConn, and how can you drop an undefeated UConn team down just because their opposition had a couple of kids hurt while a team with 1 loss moves ahead.
Actually, I disagree with about everything you say here if you are trying to apply it to how I would approach such a situation. I disagree with a lot of your opinions and that's OK.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I know rankings and pollsters are flaky, but if South Carolina wins even by one point tomorrow, they are undefeated. They rightfully should stay #1 until there's a team with a better record. Do you rank teams by their record or by a magical eye-test? I know the answer to that one, but my own personal belief, biases aside, would say South Carolina should stay #1 until they have an equal or worse record than UConn or the next best team.

But who have they played?

Reaction Score
gotta say it- don't know why Saniya and Gabby didn't get more minutes in the 2nd half. Especially Saniya when Jefferson picked up her 4th foul. Mo and Kia were both tired from hounding Lloyd. I thought Saniya and Gabby played well in the first half. Gabby's like Morgan, she's always around the ball. Lots of talk about what an athlete she is, but, like Morgan, I think she has great court sense.

Reaction Score
gotta say it- don't know why Saniya and Gabby didn't get more minutes in the 2nd half. Especially Saniya when Jefferson picked up her 4th foul. Mo and Kia were both tired from hounding Lloyd. I thought Saniya and Gabby played well in the first half. Gabby's like Morgan, she's always around the ball. Lots of talk about what an athlete she is, but, like Morgan, I think she has great court sense.
I think in the 2nd half the main concern was defense given the lead. Chong is great on offense but not so much on defense.

Reaction Score
Watching the replay. Going forward, if I'm the opposing coach, I stick to the script, closely guard KML, kick the tar out of Stewie, and bet the ranch that the zebras continue to ignore the maulings to which our bigs are submitted. Make Tuck and Stokes repeat their performances...and my team probably still loses by 20 as the rest take up the slack.

This season will not be the beautiful game that we love. More something like MMA, but I like our team. They are tough and getting tougher.

Oh, and Kia Nurse has been the 'real deal' from the moment she started. She believes in her team and her self. Her skill set is going to become more consistent, but she has 'it', and I'm really glad she's one of us.

Reaction Score
Saniya's not great on the defensive end. The no look pass in the paint was pretty nice though :)

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I expect that we will be whether or not SCar loses, based on the overwhelming nature of the win over ND.

I can't believe they were voted number 1 instead of ND anyway. Only ranked win was over SYR (#22) by 4 points. hardly convincing. I think there's an agenda to build up that program's status. Not saying they aren't a good team just not #1 (Yet anyway).

Reaction Score
I can't believe they were voted number 1 instead of ND anyway. Only ranked win was over SYR (#22) by 4 points. hardly convincing. I think there's an agenda to build up that program's status. Not saying they aren't a good team just not #1 (Yet anyway).
There's an agenda by the other coaches to build their status??

Reaction Score
It's happened before. Precedent. I bet we split the polls.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Thanks Choke. I agree that After a great start, ND didn't know what to do when Geno brought in Stokes toughened the interior defense. I would have loved to see Turner and Stokes working things out. Well, we can hope for the tourney and another match up.

Lloyd is a great player.
To say the least, holy crap Loyd is good.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
aren't they playing Duke?
Oh-I-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I think Geno said Williams doesn't know much of the offense yet. Not a lot of stuff they can run when she's in. But when she picks it up I'm sure she'll get more time. I see a lot of upside for her.

Reaction Score
To say the least, holy crap Loyd is good.
Yeah she's pretty awesome. Trying to be a one man show, but she does make it look so easy when she's knocking down a jumper or shooting the 3.

Reaction Score
Think about this folks. It is easier for UCONN to fix what went wrong for them today than ND trying to invent players to help Loyd! Yes, B. Turner would have made some difference but only 8 to 10 points! If that! UCONN would still have won by about 15 points! If they meet in FF semi's or Finals UCONN wins by a bigger margin because in April MoJeff is not going to be scoreless, Stewie will have figured out the physicality, KML WILL hit at least 5 3's, Ekmark will be back from her foot injury, Gabby Williams will be more confident at a F, Chong will play Geno-style defense, and Stokes will have MORE confidence in her offensive game! Tuck, Nurse and Stokes were the stars today! Stokes changed the game defensively toward UCONN's favor when she came in in the 1st 1/2! When ND led 28 to 18, if I remember correctly Stokes came in, the rest of the game the score was UCONN 58 to ND 30!
If I was Geno, I would show the team the STANFORD tape tomorrow before practice, not the ND tape, keep them humble and realizing how quickly it can disappear!

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Watching the game again, it's amazing how bad some of the offensive foul calls against UConn were. Tuck got one when Westbeld went to put a body on her and simply bounced off Morgan. Williams got one when Loyd tripped and fell in the lane.

That foul called on Stokes' highlight block on Loyd before the half stunk too.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Second Half:

Huffman traveled after collecting a rebound off a missed Tuck FT.

Loyd blatantly traveled on an attempted drive shortly thereafter.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Another awful offensive foul called on Williams for doing nothing with just over a minute to go.

Reaction Score
You know what is the scary part about UConn is our beat player haven't played great this season. A blow out win in south bend tells me that lost you all was concerned about at Stanford was a fluke for the cardinals. After that win they lost 2 game's.

Reaction Score
I think in the 2nd half the main concern was defense given the lead. Chong is great on offense but not so much on defense.
but I think you have to give your defenders a break now and then, even for a minute or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom