Game thread UCONN /PSU | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Game thread UCONN /PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

HGN

Reaction Score
Competitive game.....Chong really stepped up with 16pts....MoJeff played great defense. Hartley had a good game but missed a lot of free throws.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
It was fantastic to see Bria bounce back in such a big way...she was dominant in the second half.
Also awesome breakout game by Saniya. Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
Major props to the players. Playing two games close together and missing key players can be fatiguing and tough. But they still came out with two wins on the road. Very impressive!

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Didn't see the whole game - saw first few minutes and then last 5 or so -

Was the game called evenly or did Penn State get away with some physical play ???

Comments please

Pretty even - there were a number of calls on the perimeter that went against them while over the backs inside were sometimes let go. Stewie got mauled a couple times on shot attempts with no call, which surprised. We had contact too sometimes at the other end.

All in all no advantage for either team.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Didn't see the whole game - saw first few minutes and then last 5 or so -

Was the game called evenly or did Penn State get away with some physical play ???

Comments please

The game WASN'T called evenly and UConn got away with some physical play....

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
It was fantastic to see Bria bounce back in such a big way...she was dominant in the second half.
Also awesome breakout game by Saniya. Go Huskies!

Bria was 1st team AA today! No doubt about it.

Reaction Score
Hartly with 29 points and played the whole game pretty much chasing Lucas thru hard and sometimes illegal screens and you think thats "good".

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score
Pretty even - there were a number of calls on the perimeter that went against them while over the backs inside were sometimes let go. Stewie got mauled a couple times on shot attempts with no call, which surprised. We had contact too sometimes at the other end.

All in all no advantage for either team.

Thanks

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Cudos to Penn State who started to compete partly through the 2nd half.
Hit some shots, rebounded, found Lucas.
But at the end of the day, UConn's skill and composure.
Firepower and intelligent attack of the zone prevailed.
I predicted a good game from Chong, but it could have been anyone.
What a wonderful team and program.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
To many times Penn St over the back and no calls. I didn't like a lot of the no calls on Penn St. JMO

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score
To many times Penn St over the back and no calls. I didn't like a lot of the no calls on Penn St. JMO

That's what I saw on the few minutes I watched Tony. One especially early on East "blocks" a shot by Stef by hitting her arms and head - no foul.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I find it amazing that UConn had players in serious foul trouble in the 1st half against Maryland & PSU. Limited roster, yet no one fouls out of either game. Why do they wait until they get into foul trouble to start playing smart. :):). Being Serious, I find that an amazing stat.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
Stefanie Dolson had a really mediocre game on offense. She took four shots and missed three. And she hit only one out three free throws. Total of three points.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
For those watching - did Stef NOT take shots or did the guards not feed her or did she not get position?

Reaction Score
I'll admit I was worried when the momentum turned in the second half. UConn did not seem to have an answer for that defense for the longest time.I guess I don't know why Stef's participation in the offense has been as limited as it has, not just in this game, but overall.

Reaction Score
Stef seemed to me to be in a position only to pass, not to score, and she did not seem inclined to put the ball on the floor.

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score
Stef seemed to me to be in a position only to pass, not to score, and she did not seem inclined to put the ball on the floor.

As long as we have players step up for those having off games we're OK. Not everyone can be great every game.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
For those watching - did Stef NOT take shots or did the guards not feed her or did she not get position?

Much of the time, Stef passed up the high-post jumper (she took just a few) - otherwise, when she was in the low block to the side of the lane--the gap in the back of the 2-3 zone--she was content to pass back out to the perimeter, or to a cutter. Which is OK, since the zone would usually collapse a little with the ball in that position.

Having said that, one of my "PONs" for this game would be that for Stef, she also needs to be able to make a move and score the ball from this position. She was one dribble and pivot away from an inside shot at numerous points throughout the game. As a senior, against teams not fielding Britney Griner, there is no reason not to have a little more refinement in the repertoire down low. This isn't meant as saying she had a "bad" game, because in-out movement against the zone is key. But IMHO the team would benefit if she made a few more attempts to get to the basket from deep position. (Yes at times she was VERY DEEP and not in a spot to score easily upon first receiving the ball, but I'm saying she was definitely close enough to be more aggressive as a scorer, with a dribble and a step to the middle.)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Stefanie Dolson had a really mediocre game on offense. She took four shots and missed three. And she hit only one out three free throws. Total of three points.
Stef was. Instantly being hacked. Don't know if was obvious on TV it Talia East was literally throwing her body into Stef from 4-6 feet away without calls.

Reaction Score
PSU is going to be a good team by the end of the year. I thought Talia East was, well, a beast inside. If she has any offensive game, she's gonna be good. Once their younger players learn how to play together, the team should do well.

Reaction Score
Thanks Icebear. It was obvious that she didn't have much space to operate, but I didn't notice East's contact on TV.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
PSU is going to be a good team by the end of the year. I thought Talia East was, well, a beast inside. If she has any offensive game, she's gonna be good. Once their younger players learn how to play together, the team should do well.
I had not had a chance to see them yet is year but PSU is much stronger than I thought they might be. I cannot say the officials applied the points of emphasis very strongly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom