Game Thread: UCONN-ND | Page 29 | The Boneyard

Game Thread: UCONN-ND

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score
Between the refs and our players can't hit a FT at key moments, UCONN did not deserve this W. We should have fouled before the girl jack up the 3 at end of the regulation, but the mental break down did us in.

How does the refs jobbing us make us undeserving of the win?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
A positive:

Morgan played 34 minutes and had 11 points, 7 boards, 5 assists, and 3 steals.

Reaction Score
Not criticizing her motor or effort. In winning time, she missed free throws and made bad turnovers. At this point the burden of proof is on her to demonstrate she can get it done in crunch time. Clutch play isn't something you learn, it's an attitude. It's innate. Diana had it. I just don't see it in Stewart.
The Diana that had a game her freshman year, in the NCAA tournament no less, where she shot 1 of 15 or whatever? That clutch player? Yes, she was mostly clutch, but she wasn't so much that way her freshman year. Some players have it immediately, some have to grow into it. Especially post players.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Regardless of the Refs, the game was there to win (many times) and we didn't
Talk about a short bench...wait till next year!
Moriah hasn't been given enough minutes in crunch time of competitive games to play key minutes; too bad, she was needed.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
I am proud of this team. Yes, this loss hurts. But, considering we have such a short bench, Stef fouled out before the first OT, we have three freshman who have had to play extended minutes in arguably the biggest game of the season thus far, a gimpy fifth year senior, our junior point guard is having the season from hell...the fact that they were in this game as long as they were tells me they are right there...just need to develop a little more mental toughness to hit the free throws when they matter most.

It might not be our year. I am not down on any of the players. They played their hearts out. No, they won't get a share of the BE regular season trophy. ND has earned it. Be we are very close. Very, very close.
I agree with most of this, but I struggle trying to accept a fifth year senior guard turning the ball over multiple times - inexplicably - in key situations - at crunch time. These are precisely the moments all that experience and leadership is supposed to pay off, gimp and all.

Reaction Score
Bria has passed the torch to Stewie to take the lumps this game.

I have an idea? Why doesn't Geno just take away the scholarships of every player who isn't living up to the potential we fans expect.

If we are frustrated, I can guarantee you the players and coaches are infinitely more so.

Reaction Score
I agree with most of this, but I struggle trying to accept a fifth year senior guard turning the ball over multiple times - inexplicably - in key situations - at crunch time. These are precisely the moments all that experience and leadership is supposed to pay off, gimp and all.
Her play time has been limited. You can bet her practice time has been limited as well. Her knee has to be babied. Lack of practice reflects on the court. Not saying her decision making was the best, and picking up her dribble at inopportune times was definitely not helpful. But if she has been limited in practice that could be a part of the hesitancy.

Reaction Score
A positive:

Morgan played 34 minutes and had 11 points, 7 boards, 5 assists, and 3 steals.

Well you have Baylor and ND at the top UCONN a distant 3rd and everybody else way behind them. they blew this game with the atrocious free throw shooting. KML should have gotten the inbounds as often as possible. Why they fed Stewart is beyond me.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
ND attacked UConn's weakness: its guards. ND's defense forced Uconn to start its offense out so high and dared UConn to dribble drive by them. Nobody could. The TOs and missed FTs were just awful.

I give this ND team credit, they have players who never seem to play afraid even when they make mistakes (which they made tonight too).

Agreed re: attacking our weakness. Our size and talent(?) advantage at the 3, 4, 5 spots is not going to matter if we can't stay out of traps on the perimeter one way or another. We didn't use ball screens well enough, but mostly it's as you point out - they switch and/or trap and make it tough to ball screen at times, so we need to be able to dribble to a gap and break the pressure that way sometimes. That's what they give you, if you can exploit it. Mostly we couldn't.

We just don't have enough players right now with the confidence and/or ability to do that for 40 mins, at least at this level. That, and we have people picking up the dribble in bad places way too often.

Reaction Score
The difference between us and ND is that their best player is a PG and ours is a SF so when they lose their 2nd best player their offense still runs smooth while when we lose our 2nd best player we just hope to get fouled.

Reaction Score
Ref's were a bigger factor than 35 turnovers?
Missed one and ones?
Uconn was in the bonus the first half not ND?
Poor decisions?
Poor ball handling?
Please!!

the technical was the difference.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Her play time has been limited. You can bet her practice time has been limited as well. Her knee has to be babied. Lack of practice reflects on the court. Not saying her decision making was the best, and picking up her dribble at inopportune times was definitely not helpful. But if she has been limited in practice that could be a part of the hesitancy.
I realize all that Chapette and this loss was a total team (and reffing) effort without question - 'death by a thousand cuts' if you would. It's simply that the bone-headed turnovers at crunch time are the freshest and therefore most poignant and painful.

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score
Ref's were a bigger factor than 35 turnovers?
Missed one and ones?
Uconn was in the bonus the first half not ND?
Poor decisions?
Poor ball handling?
Please!!

Notre Dame missed just as many shots and made terrible decisions too. Do you come here just to bitch about how bad we played? They didn't give up, contrary to your beliefs, or the game would have been over in regulation when were down with 3 minutes to go. Both teams didn't play their best game. I'm not worried about them. Because the same exact thing happened last year and we won the Big East tournament. What does Notre Dame have to show for beating up 6 out of 7 times? Absolutely nothing

Reaction Score
Had the game DVR'd and just finished it. I honestly just cannot believe that our fifth year senior let the team down that bad tonight. I am just completely done with Caroline. I know i'm gonna get lambasted, but I just can't believe how much she did to help the team lose tonight.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
That was a GREAT game to watch.... made even better because of the fact I had no dogs in the fight... and could just watch it from the perspective of a neutral wcbb fan. I know you guys might feel differently..... but I wouldnt mind seeing a UCONN-ND twice more this season.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame missed just as many shots and made terrible decisions too. Do you come here just to bitch about how bad we played? They didn't give up, contrary to your beliefs, or the game would have been over in regulation when were down with 3 minutes to go. Both teams didn't play their best game. I'm not worried about them. Because the same exact thing happened last year and we won the Big East tournament. What does Notre Dame have to show for beating up 6 out of 7 times? Absolutely nothing

My bitch is with you blaming the entire loss on the REFS!

Reaction Score
That was a GREAT game to watch.... made even better because of the fact I had no dogs in the fight... and could just watch it from the perspective of a neutral wcbb fan. I know you guys might feel differently..... but I wouldnt mind seeing a UCONN-ND twice more this season.
I would rather see ND lose in the quarter finals of the BE tournament, and lose before the sweet sixteen in the NCAAs. But, that's just me.

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score
Had the game DVR'd and just finished it. I honestly just cannot believe that our fifth year senior let the team down that bad tonight. I am just completely done with Caroline. I know i'm gonna get lambasted, but I just can't believe how much she did to help the team lose tonight.

Ridiculous. She's obviously nursing an injury, and because of pretty terrible mistakes by Bria, she was forced to play a ton of minutes. She only had TWO turnovers, and she made a couple of bad mistakes. While Steph had 11. Saying Caroline helped UConn lose is pretty ridiculous

Reaction Score
Ridiculous. She's obviously nursing an injury, and because of pretty terrible mistakes by Bria, she was forced to play a ton of minutes. She only had TWO turnovers, and she made a couple of bad mistakes. While Steph had 11. Saying Caroline helped UConn lose is pretty ridiculous

Having an injury has nothing to do with not knowing where the shot clock is that far in the game. That is something a 5th year senior should have down and unfortunately she is just not able to be trusted in close games. That's why Geno took her out, he had seen enough of her carelessness.

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score
Having an injury has nothing to do with not knowing where the shot clock is that far in the game. That is something a 5th year senior should have down and unfortunately she is just not able to be trusted in close games. That's why Geno took her out, he had seen enough of her carelessness.

How many times has Bria done that? That happened more than once during the game, and I'm pretty sure Caroline only did it once during this game. KML has done it, Tuck has done it, Kelly has done it. That's not just on Caroline.

Reaction Score
How many times has Bria done that? That happened more than once during the game, and I'm pretty sure Caroline only did it once during this game. KML has done it, Tuck has done it, Kelly has done it. That's not just on Caroline.

What is on Caroline is that she is out 5th year senior PG and only took 1 shot and had 1 assist to go along with a few terrible mental mistakes. You should be able to expect more out of a player that has been through as much as her but she is completely unreliable. Geno wouldn't even let her take the ball up the court at one point, leaving that to Kelly Faris. I just don't get what the point of having her out there is, when she isn't going to do anything to impact the game. I respect your opinion but I have just had enough and hope Geno has as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom