Game thread: the contest of the flagship schools of states that start with "T" | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Game thread: the contest of the flagship schools of states that start with "T"

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Tenn in disarray. Offense largely is: go down, take someone 1-on-1, and shoot a jump shot.
This has been the Tennessee M.O. for many years. Their fans can say "but we are without Izzy and next year we get Diamond and Russell back and add T'ea". The problem is if you simply have no offense to run, you stay as the Tennessee of old - a lot of dribbling, one on one guard play, jack up a shot, and try to get the O-board for a putback.

Reaction Score
I'd contribute to this, but Eric just said what I would say ... and perfectly....

At least the offense is a tad more interesting without MS from last year.......... having said that..... assists to baskets is a stat that must not be important to Lady Vols, because the offense does not run as a fluid machine should ...... still don't have confidence that this coaching staff will ever figure it out...... I wonder what Margo will say? It will be interesting.......

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Tennessee players look athletic but not so smart at basketball, especially team ball.

As noted, the LVs had a whopping 3 assists. From Burdick and Graves. The backcourt--Carter, Massengale, et al.--had exactly ZERO. Sadly, they could learn from Green Bay.

RandomFan85

A Rogue LV Fan
Reaction Score
This has been the Tennessee M.O. for many years. Their fans can say "but we are without Izzy and next year we get Diamond and Russell back and add T'ea". The problem is if you simply have no offense to run, you stay as the Tennessee of old - a lot of dribbling, one on one guard play, jack up a shot, and try to get the O-board for a putback.

I think a lot of LV fans are starting to realize that "next year" is never getting here. We have waited on next year to be better since the year of the Baby Vols. The fact of the matter is, without some changes, we are headed down the path to mediocrity, and that's being generous. Exact quote from Holly tonight.. ""All I care about us is getting down, getting in a stance and getting a stop. Then I will be a happy coach," Warlick said. "If we get beat because we can't score, so be it."
Uhh... what? The last I checked the only way to win a game was to score more points than the opponents. Defense is important, but so is being able to put the ball in the basket. Until there is some commitment to both sides of the court, this team doesn't stand a chance.

Reaction Score
I think a lot of LV fans are starting to realize that "next year" is never getting here. We have waited on next year to be better since the year of the Baby Vols. The fact of the matter is, without some changes, we are headed down the path to mediocrity, and that's being generous. Exact quote from Holly tonight.. ""All I care about us is getting down, getting in a stance and getting a stop. Then I will be a happy coach," Warlick said. "If we get beat because we can't score, so be it."
Uhh... what? The last I checked the only way to win a game was to score more points than the opponents. Defense is important, but so is being able to put the ball in the basket. Until there is some commitment to both sides of the court, this team doesn't stand a chance.

Yeah...... I saw that comment in Holly's post game meeting....... she wants to focus totally on defense, and she will be happy..... Earth to Holly, you need to work on your offense.... because it is obvious that you have no plan..... or what plan you have is either antiquated or elementary.

You know what I always find interesting about Holly? In her comments, she digs her own grave .... always...... just from tonights comments...... she said she didn't want to focus on offense...... her team got "outworked"....... her team did not want to get down in defensive crouch position....... her team shot too quickly...... etc etc..... I could cite several more examples..... but these are ALL things that can and should be corrected by the head coach. Yet we hear the same gripes from her to explain the losses......

Ariel said before the season that the team would listen to and respect the coaches...... but I do not see that happening..... wait till Diamond suits up..... UT may as well start paying her as a coach, because it will be her team. If you are unable to get your players to assume the proper defensive stance, how can you expect to coach Diamond in offense sets and formations?

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
They had three(!) , count 'em, three assists last night. That pretty much says it all about their offense. Holly's strategy is exactly the same as Pat's. The difference is tjat UT's players are no longer so much better than other teams' that they can overwhelm them by sheer athleticism and physicality. Pat had Harry in to teach her and her coaches the "motion offense", but if anything changed as a result it was not obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom