Game Thread - #8 NC State at #1 South Carolina | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Game Thread - #8 NC State at #1 South Carolina

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score

When I was in high school, I remember the dread of a practice after a game you knew the whooooooole team ****** up in. And from the time I hit the pillow until the time I got to practice the next day, it was nothing but pure dread. And the whole time it was happening, I was certain I was going to die.

I don’t think I can really imagine what one of those practices would look like for a team like SC (or any of the top teams in any collegiate sport...), but I bet if I was a fly on the wall in Columbia tomorrow, I’d find out.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
When I was in high school, I remember the dread of a practice after a game you knew the whooooooole team ****** up in. And from the time I hit the pillow until the time I got to practice the next day, it was nothing but pure dread. And the whole time it was happening, I was certain I was going to die.

I don’t think I can really imagine what one of those practices would look like for a team like SC (or any of the top teams in any collegiate sport...), but I bet if I was a fly on the wall in Columbia tomorrow, I’d find out.

I so wish the next practice was an open one lol

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Both teams are not even Top 25 team ..poor shooting.
This statement is hilarious Kaizen, just hilarious. In fact, most of the comments about this game are hilarious.:p

Reaction Score

A couple years ago SC played a game @ Purdue, a game they won in OT. Far and away the best player for the Gamecocks was Kiki Herbert-Harrigan. I think she had like 19 pts and 15 rebs. A couple days later they had a practice which about 30-40 of us fans got to attend and Dawn spent a great deal of that practice yelling at her team. She was not pleased with how they were practicing. The player she layed into the heaviest - Kiki Herbert-Harrigan. It was pretty brutal. We felt so bad for her. After practice, when the players came over to high five us and thank us for coming, the look and body language on Kiki could have froze molten lava.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
A couple years ago SC played a game @ Purdue, a game they won in OT. Far and away the best player for the Gamecocks was Kiki Herbert-Harrigan. I think she had like 19 pts and 15 rebs. A couple days later they had a practice which about 30-40 of us fans got to attend and Dawn spent a great deal of that practice yelling at her team. She was not pleased with how they were practicing. The player she layed into the heaviest - Kiki Herbert-Harrigan. It was pretty brutal. We felt so bad for her. After practice, when the players came over to high five us and thank us for coming, the look and body language on Kiki could have froze molten lava.

So... are you saying she was Mad Kiki?:rolleyes:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
The pandemic has wreaked havoc on this season. Not being able to practice as in years past, the season starting late, very few or no fans, and postponements or cancellations are the reasons we will see more games like this one. The top teams are not immune from this as we saw tonight. Remember this game so that when Ono struggles in a game she won't be criticized so harshly. Boston and Cunnane struggled and Boston looked nothing like a generational player. She looked as if she could not believe NC State would not let her have her way.

Reaction Score
The pandemic has wreaked havoc on this season. Not being able to practice as in years past, the season starting late, very few or no fans, and postponements or cancellations are the reasons we will see more games like this one. The top teams are not immune from this as we saw tonight. Remember this game so that when Ono struggles in a game she won't be criticized so harshly. Boston and Cunnane struggled and Boston looked nothing like a generational player. She looked as if she could not believe NC State would not let her have her way.
Agreed! Nalyssa Smith has been horrible for Baylor too! Bigs are struggling! Egbo played amazing on Tuesday though

Reaction Score
Agreed! Nalyssa Smith has been horrible for Baylor too! Bigs are struggling! Egbo played amazing on Tuesday though

R. Howard for Kentucky today was a hot mess shooting as well. Some very weird performances early but I suspect these top players will get in groove pretty quickly

Reaction Score
it’s always a mistake to making too many conclusions from one game. Having said that, from what I saw, S. Carolina needs better offensive sets, better spacing, less dribbling, more passing and, definitely, better outside shooting. Do they have a spot up outside shooter on the team to stretch a defense?

Henderson and Cooke are better than they showed but beyond that not really.

A former walk on and Eniya Russell are all we didn't really show.

Olivia Thompson can shoot but not sure she can get on the floor defensively in a meaningful game.

Russell I assume is more of a slasher. Not sure how she will shoot it, but not someone you leave in a corner I don't think.

Reaction Score
R. Howard for Kentucky today was a hot mess shooting as well. Some very weird performances early but I suspect these top players will get in groove pretty quickly
I hope so! We need smith to step up to beat Arkansas on Sunday

Reaction Score
Mississippi State's 32 game win streak record is still intact as 2nd best all time for an SEC team.

Feel like you lost your last game last season so it's not intact.

And it's not a record.

But thanks for the info. : )

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Honestly I can see that happen! I think y’all should be top 5 at least! I guess it depends on how Louisville or Baylor does this weekend

Right now mine would be:

1. Stanford
2. NC State
3. Louisville
4. Baylor
5. UConn (I can't rank them higher till they play. I've also considered not ranking them until they play at least one game.)
6. South Carolina
Feel like you lost your last game last season so it's not intact.

And it's not a record.

But thanks for the info.

I think the poster meant that it is intact as the second best in the SEC, meaning that SC failed to pass it, even though it’s no longer active.

Reaction Score
I think the team was so frustrated by the lack of offense that players started freelancing trying to make something happen.

I'm not sure they got a lot of help, but this group had a relatively easy ride on the seniors last year and are going to have to learn to do it the hard way.

Reaction Score
Right now mine would be:

1. Stanford
2. NC State
3. Louisville
4. Baylor
5. UConn (I can't rank them higher till they play. I've also considered not ranking them until they play at least one game.)
6. South Carolina

I think the poster meant that it is intact as the second best in the SEC, meaning that SC failed to pass it, even though it’s no longer active.

Yes, I'm pretty sure that's what was meant too.

Reaction Score
Who is calling Boston a generational player???

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
True! But if Baylor and Louisville both win this weekend against ranked teams, do NC state jump them?

If I were a voter, I'd vote NC State #1. Beating South Carolina on the road (no crowd, but still) is a heck of a lot more impressive than beating DePaul or Arkansas. If I'm a betting guy, NC State probably wont end up being the best team in the country this year, but they have by far the most impressive win early in the season and for that, I think they deserve the #1 spot right now.

Reaction Score
If I were a voter, I'd vote NC State #1. Beating South Carolina on the road (no crowd, but still) is a heck of a lot more impressive than beating DePaul or Arkansas. If I'm a betting guy, NC State probably wont end up being the best team in the country this year, but they have by far the most impressive win early in the season and for that, I think they deserve the #1 spot right now.
No argument from me! Tbh all top teams has struggled early thanks to Covid and not having any exhibition games! I think Stanford has looked the best so far but they’ve only played 1 game so far. It’s going to be an interesting season!

Reaction Score
Henderson and Cooke are better than they showed but beyond that not really.

A former walk on and Eniya Russell are all we didn't really show.

Olivia Thompson can shoot but not sure she can get on the floor defensively in a meaningful game.

Russell I assume is more of a slasher. Not sure how she will shoot it, but not someone you leave in a corner I don't think.

I know that your class for next year has a lot of athletic players, but do you have any shooters coming in to compare with the three shooters UConn has coming in (Azzi, Saylor, CD)? Next few years could be interesting with S Carolina’s athleticism versus UConn’s ability to put the ball in the basket.

Reaction Score
4 of 11 free throws. Not a freak exhibition. We have shot fts poorly in all 4 games. Why?

do we blame coronavirus? That would be a cheap copout. The virus did not limit shooting 50 FTs per day off season.

teams are gonna jam the paint with bodies. We have to kick it outside or get fouled. If we don’t make them pay for the fouls at the line, we are going to see ugly games like this all year win or lose.
One thing that is lacking is Kiki keeping Boston fired up. Yes, we miss Kiki’s skills but we clearly miss her leadership too

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom