Game Thread - #8 NC State at #1 South Carolina | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Game Thread - #8 NC State at #1 South Carolina

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I'm not a sore loser. NC State deserved it. Congratulations to them. We have to be better if we want to play with the elite teams.

I'm confident we'll rise up to the challenge.

A good early season top 10 matchup. A few questions i had about South Carolina showed themselves. This is a game where you miss a 4 year starter at the PG and an emotional spark plug like Herbert-Harrigan.
I still think the Gamecocks are a top team and will be there in the end.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
So Stanford number 1 now? It’s hard because Stanford can’t play any home games and UConn hasn’t played yet! Baylor is not playing like a top 4 team with our offense but our defense is there! So who’s number 1 after this week?
Definitely not Baylor. NCSt has a better shot than Baylor.

Reaction Score
I was accused of false humility when I said I didn't think this team would be as good or necessarily felt like the #1 team.

Credit State for great defense but SC is just not good in the half court right now. Not nearly enough shooting, spacing, or passing.

Herbert-Harrigan is a huge void. Perfect fit beside Boston and her absence is wrecking the spacing. Ty Harris is missed badly too of course as Henderson can't play off ball or provide guard depth of which Carolina has none.

Of the sophomores, only Amihere has improved much.

Carolina is a very good defensive team but needs to drastically improve in the half court to be the favorite in the SEC.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
That was painful to watch....NC State had better playmakers and shooters which won them the game. SC's backcourt was dreadful tonight but will improve. Boston seemed to want no part going up against Cunane inside which surprised me. She was more content shooting perimeter shots. Amihere was a brightspot...she looks like a young Glory Johnson. She'll be great by the time Dawn is done coaching her.

NC State wasn't much better but offensively but made plays down the stretch. Cunane struggled but was a lot more aggressive in the post offensively than Boston. Both did very well defensively.

Not sure if there's a whole lot else to say besides ugly ugly game. I would love for NC State to catapult to #1 for knocking off South Carolina. It has been the best win of the season even if it wasn't pretty.

Reaction Score
That was painful to watch....NC State had better playmakers and shooters which won them the game. SC's backcourt was dreadful tonight but will improve. Boston seemed to want no part going up against Cunane inside which surprised me. She was more content shooting perimeter shots. Amihere was a brightspot...she looks like a young Glory Johnson. She'll be great by the time Dawn is done coaching her.

NC State wasn't much better but offensively but made plays down the stretch. Cunane struggled but was a lot more aggressive in the post offensively than Boston. Both did very well defensively.

Not sure if there's a whole lot else to say besides ugly ugly game. I would love for NC State to catapult to #1 for knocking off South Carolina. It has been the best win of the season even if it wasn't pretty.
That would be nice but historically that would not happen. When Baylor beat UConn in 2019 and 2020 we did not catapult to number 1! It’s going to go to Stanford or UConn

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I'm not a sore loser. NC State deserved it. Congratulations to them. We have to be better if we want to play with the elite teams.

I'm confident we'll rise up to the challenge.
You always keep such a healthy perspective on things, win or lose. I respect that a lot.

UConn's history has seemingly miseducated many of us into thinking that great teams, even championship teams, can't have ugly games and even some losses along the way.

Dawn has a strong track record of bringing her teams along over the season. I'm sure she feels playing good teams in November and December reaps rewards come March. I'd have to agree with her.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Not sure what to make of early season ugly games. I think we’re going to see a bunch of these types of games. When was the last time SC was held to 46 points?

2013 was the last time we were held below 50 according one of our beat guys.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Well, Staley does like challenges.

Welp

spongebob.jpg

Reaction Score
I was accused of false humility when I said I didn't think this team would be as good or necessarily felt like the #1 team.

Credit State for great defense but SC is just not good in the half court right now. Not nearly enough shooting, spacing, or passing.

Herbert-Harrigan is a huge void. Perfect fit beside Boston and her absence is wrecking the spacing. Ty Harris is missed badly too of course as Henderson can't play off ball or provide guard depth of which Carolina has none.

Of the sophomores, only Amihere has improved much.

Carolina is a very good defensive team but needs to drastically improve in the half court to be the favorite in the SEC.

it’s always a mistake to making too many conclusions from one game. Having said that, from what I saw, S. Carolina needs better offensive sets, better spacing, less dribbling, more passing and, definitely, better outside shooting. Do they have a spot up outside shooter on the team to stretch a defense?

Reaction Score
it’s always a mistake to making too many conclusions from one game. Having said that, from what I saw, S. Carolina needs better offensive sets, better spacing, less dribbling, more passing and, definitely, better outside shooting. Do they have a spot up outside shooter on the team to stretch a defense?
I thought zia Cooke has been their best 3 point option

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Mississippi State's 32 game win streak record is still intact as 2nd best all time for an SEC team.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
That would be nice but historically that would not happen. When Baylor beat UConn in 2019 and 2020 we did not catapult to number 1! It’s going to go to Stanford or UConn

Youre probably right but we'll see. They'll definitely get votes for #1. And the examples mentioned, Baylor had losses going into those games and there were teams who were undefeated or had a less egregious loss than Baylor so it made sense that they stay ahead of Baylor at that time. NC State hasn't lost a game yet and has the only big time win of the season so far.

Reaction Score
Youre probably right but we'll see. They'll definitely get votes for #1. And the examples mentioned, Baylor had losses going into those games and there were teams who were undefeated or had a less egregious loss than Baylor so it made sense that they stay ahead of Baylor at that time. NC State hasn't lost a game yet and has the only big time win of the season so far.
True! But if Baylor and Louisville both win this weekend against ranked teams, do NC state jump them?

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
You always keep such a healthy perspective on things, win or lose. I respect that a lot.

UConn's history has seemingly miseducated many of us into thinking that great teams, even championship teams, can't have ugly games and even some losses along the way.

Dawn has a strong track record of bringing her teams along over the season. I'm sure she feels playing good teams in November and December reaps rewards come March. I'd have to agree with her.

I try to keep an even keel as much as possible. If I’ve learned anything from being a Gamecock football fan it’s that you can’t get too high with the highs and too low with the lows. We’re unbearable in football these days... but I hope for the best every Saturday regardless.

I’m not okay with losing. I like cheering for a winner. But the way we played tonight was abysmal, and basketball does not reward that kind of play. In no way did we deserve to win. We played far below the standard that Dawn has created at South Carolina.

Going forward, I will be paying close attention to whether this team folds or rises up. Only one of those things are acceptable at South Carolina.

Reaction Score
It’s all a mess! Good luck to the poll voters

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
It’s all a mess! Good luck to the poll voters

My fear is that some voters who may not pay attention may confuse North Carolina State with North Carolina (it happens more than you would think). There's a slight probability that NC State will actually drop in the next poll..or fall out completely.

The media loves them some North Carolina.

Reaction Score
My fear is that some voters who may not pay attention may confuse North Carolina State with North Carolina (it happens more than you would think). There's a slight probability that NC State will actually drop in the next poll..or fall out completely.

The media loves them some North Carolina.
Honestly I can see that happen! I think y’all should be top 5 at least! I guess it depends on how Louisville or Baylor does this weekend

Reaction Score
I know it's early so offense we'll be a work in progress. I think both teams played great defense some of that was helped by bad offense and poor shot selection. NC St. is special on defense. Both teams don't seem to have any outside shooting. That could haunt them in the big games. Boston will struggle if perimeter players can not make outside shots.
I was surprised Coach Staley didn't apply pressure and play uptempo.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom