Game Night - UConn @ Villanova - 7:00 pm EST | The Boneyard

Game Night - UConn @ Villanova - 7:00 pm EST

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
UConn women’s basketball vs. Villanova: time, how to watch, broadcasters, preview -

UConn (4-0, 3-0 Big East) will complete its stretch of five games in 11 days tonight when it plays at Villanova in what will be one of its toughest conference games yet. Villanova is the only other BIG EAST team without a loss this season. The Wildcats are coming off a 73-68 win over Creighton last Saturday. Maddy Siegrist leads Villanova and the BIG EAST with 24.4 points and 12.6 rebounds per game. The game will feature the reigning BIG EAST Player of the Week (Siegrist) vs. the BIG EAST Freshman of the Week (Bueckers). Head coach Denise Dillon ('96) is in her first season at Villanova, but brings 17 years of D-1 head coaching experience (Drexel) with her.

Here’s what you need to know about tonight's matchup:
Site: Finneran Pavilion
Time: 7 p.m.
Series: UConn leads, 36-17
Last meeting: No. 3 UConn 76, Villanova 43 in Hartford, Jan. 29, 2013
TV: SNY (Meghan Culmo and Allen Bestwick)
Radio: UConn's game will be available on 97-9 ESPN or through TuneIn.

STREAMING
UConn's SNY games will be available to stream in-market (CT, NY, NJ, PA) to authenticated subscribers via the NBC Sports app: http://stream.nbcsports.com/rsn/sny.

Out-of-market fans will be able to stream UConn's SNY games at no additional cost to authenticated subscribers who have FOX as part of their television package. Users will need to sign in with their TV provider credentials at https://www.foxsports.com/ or in the FOX Sports app. The games can also be accessed at www.fox.com/sports or in the FOX Now app.

Villanova roster

[Related] In Villanova, UConn and Geno Auriemma face familiar foe, but new face of the program »

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Villanova is the most competitive team UConn will play to this point. While Siegrist is playing well, she's not wonder woman. Drexel (2-1) held her to 11 points in a 2 point loss on December 13 at Villanova. I'd like to think that UConn is at least as good as Drexel. Here's a recap of that game: Wildcats Edge Drexel to Stay Undefeated at 6-0

Note - The Wildcat's tallest player is Kylie Swider, a 6'4" freshman, and is NOT listed as a projected starter. Their tallest starters will be: Maddy Siegrist, F, 6-1, So and Sarah Mortensen, G/F, 6-1, Sr. ONO should have a field day on the block.

Villanova's Box score from the Drexel game:

1608652552809.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UConn women’s basketball vs. Villanova: time, how to watch, broadcasters, preview -

UConn (4-0, 3-0 Big East) will complete its stretch of five games in 11 days tonight when it plays at Villanova in what will be one of its toughest conference games yet. Villanova is the only other BIG EAST team without a loss this season. The Wildcats are coming off a 73-68 win over Creighton last Saturday. Maddy Siegrist leads Villanova and the BIG EAST with 24.4 points and 12.6 rebounds per game. The game will feature the reigning BIG EAST Player of the Week (Siegrist) vs. the BIG EAST Freshman of the Week (Bueckers). Head coach Denise Dillon ('96) is in her first season at Villanova, but brings 17 years of D-1 head coaching experience (Drexel) with her.

Here’s what you need to know about tonight's matchup:
Site: Finneran Pavilion
Time: 7 p.m.
Series: UConn leads, 36-17
Last meeting: No. 3 UConn 76, Villanova 43 in Hartford, Jan. 29, 2013
TV: SNY (Meghan Culmo and Allen Bestwick)
Radio: UConn's game will be available on 97-9 ESPN or through TuneIn.

STREAMING
UConn's SNY games will be available to stream in-market (CT, NY, NJ, PA) to authenticated subscribers via the NBC Sports app: http://stream.nbcsports.com/rsn/sny.

Out-of-market fans will be able to stream UConn's SNY games at no additional cost to authenticated subscribers who have FOX as part of their television package. Users will need to sign in with their TV provider credentials at https://www.foxsports.com/ or in the FOX Sports app. The games can also be accessed at www.fox.com/sports or in the FOX Now app.

Villanova roster

[Related] In Villanova, UConn and Geno Auriemma face familiar foe, but new face of the program »

Many thanks for this comprehensive and useful guide.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I expect a Nova to try and slow it down and draw charges. I dont expect the game to be close. This is a fair test for UConn and thats what they need now. A game that will bring out some weaknesses that will need to be tweaked which is also good at this point in the season. It can only help UConn get better. As deep as we are we are all not on the same page yet. We're close but need a few more games to get to where we need to be. With that said we need to stay out of foul trouble. Whoever guards Maddy needs to stay out of foul trouble. Our dribble drives same thing and Oliva needs to be aware of charge calls. She should be fine. I am really looking forward to Edwards underneath. That should be a fun match up. GO HUSKIES

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Expect the game against Xavier to be a blueprint for tonight's game. Geno will press, perhaps the entire 1st period instead of 13:30 of the first, then play zone, hopefully more than the last game because they need it, and M2M the rest of the game.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I expect a Nova to try and slow it down and draw charges. I dont expect the game to be close. This is a fair test for UConn and thats what they need now. A game that will bring out some weaknesses that will need to be tweaked which is also good at this point in the season. It can only help UConn get better. As deep as we are we are all not on the same page yet. We're close but need a few more games to get to where we need to be. With that said we need to stay out of foul trouble. Whoever guards Maddy needs to stay out of foul trouble. Our dribble drives same thing and Oliva needs to be aware of charge calls. She should be fine. I am really looking forward to Edwards underneath. That should be a fun match up. GO HUSKIES

This will be UConn's 5th game. Now we have enough games to intelligently analyze exactly what we have, where we are, and who can do what. One or two games doesn't tell you anything. Villanova will be the best team (7-0) that UConn has played to this point. Just what we need going into the holiday break.

NOTE - The Big East has made schedule changes a moment ago.

Last edited:

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Should be a very interesting game. Really interested in how Geno is molding this UConn team into a possible contender.
I would take the word possible out of your statement, I think they are a definite contender. Can they win it all, sure they can, but will they win it all? That's the question and why of the reasons we are UCONN nerds.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Villanova is the most competitive team UConn will play to this point. While Siegrist is playing well, she's not wonder woman. Drexel (2-1) held her to 11 points in a 2 point loss on December 13 at Villanova. I'd like to think that UConn is at least as good as Drexel. Here's a recap of that game: Wildcats Edge Drexel to Stay Undefeated at 6-0

Note - The Wildcat's tallest player is Kylie Swider, a 6'4" freshman, and is NOT listed as a projected starter. Their tallest starters will be: Maddy Siegrist, F, 6-1, So and Sarah Mortensen, G/F, 6-1, Sr. ONO should have a field day on the block.

Villanova's Box score from the Drexel game:

View attachment 62758
One thing that seems to be the same since when Harry coached is the 3-point shooting. not only did they attempt almost 30, but literally every single player who got minutes attempted at least 1. I realized Harry coached the team until the end of last season, so it's logical that the players he recruited are all 3-point shooters. It will be interesting to see how/if that changes in the years to come with the new coach.

We always think a big (ONO in our case) should have a field day against a smaller team, but it depends how physical they are. I have not seen Villanova play yet, but they know they are undersized so I'd expect quick double teams, and if they are physical and strong, they could throw off Olivia's rhythm. She's had a terrific last few games so like you, I hope she feasts!

Reaction Score
Just see this game in Fox Now at 4:00 pm.. under FOX Extra not FS1

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Strange, I saw it listed hours ago on the Fox Sport app under the heading of upcoming WBB games at 7:00PM.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom