Game Friday not looking good | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Game Friday not looking good

Reaction Score
If the team is taking the proper precautions, why do we still have enough co-vid issues that will affect a game on Friday? That will be 12 days from the time they were due back from holiday. One player stayed home, so the isolation should have started at that time. Other teams are making it back within 10 days, so why is it taking our team so long? I know the injuries are causing the problems also, but why wouldn't we be ready by Friday if we are following the CDC guidelines? Well, I'm sure they are being cautious, just wondering out loud. Building on my frustration is the news that Azzi and Nika still are not ready to come back. Wow, maybe we won't have a season after all, we are running out of time, as well as playing dates. I hope that Geno can somehow get us going again before it is too late. Ok, I said it, so let's hope we can move forward soon, cause along with the men, the rest of the basketball world is leaving us behind.
You are assuming the affected players/staff all tested positive as soon as they came back from break. Not likely, so if a player or two come up positive a few days apart from the previously infected, this could take a while to get them all well enough to field a team of 7. Also, just because you are quarantined for 10 days, doesn't mean you are well enough to play on day 11. Covid is no joke..it is physically and mentally debilitating. It's not rocket science. It is also happening to Arizona, and they have no injured players.

Reaction Score
You are assuming the affected players/staff all tested positive as soon as they came back from break. Not likely, so if a player or two come up positive a few days apart from the previously infected, this could take a while to get them all well enough to field a team of 7. Also, just because you are quarantined for 10 days, doesn't mean you are well enough to play on day 11. Covid is no joke..it is physically and mentally debilitating. It's not rocket science. It is also happening to Arizona, and they have no injured players.
We get all that, but what do the conference rules say? Can a team just indefinitely delay the season until it feels it's ready? I was under the impression that as soon as you have 7 players not injured and not in isolation protocol, you play.

Reaction Score
There are currently 98 post Covid symptoms documented, even to those with mild symptoms, including fatigue, chronic muscle pain and heart arrhythmia. There is nothing “selfish” about Geno’s desire to insure that his players are not at risk physically when they get back on the court.
Agreed. Covid is serious, there’s really no point in rushing players back just so games can be played when their health is on the line.
To add, although the 10 day period might be up players could still be actively sick anyways whether that’s a fever, shortness of breathe, headache, so on.

Reaction Score
We get all that, but what do the conference rules say? Can a team just indefinitely delay the season until it feels it's ready? I was under the impression that as soon as you have 7 players not injured and not in isolation protocol, you play.
They don’t have 7 players ready..that’s the problem. Covid combined with injuries and they’re under the needed limit.

Reaction Score
If the team is taking the proper precautions, why do we still have enough co-vid issues that will affect a game on Friday? That will be 12 days from the time they were due back from holiday. One player stayed home, so the isolation should have started at that time. Other teams are making it back within 10 days, so why is it taking our team so long? I know the injuries are causing the problems also, but why wouldn't we be ready by Friday if we are following the CDC guidelines? Well, I'm sure they are being cautious, just wondering out loud. Building on my frustration is the news that Azzi and Nika still are not ready to come back. Wow, maybe we won't have a season after all, we are running out of time, as well as playing dates. I hope that Geno can somehow get us going again before it is too late. Ok, I said it, so let's hope we can move forward soon, cause along with the men, the rest of the basketball world is leaving us behind.
Because they might actually be sick, not asymptomatic. Sorry that's causing frustration for you. Man, there is some serious entitlement on this board.

Reaction Score
If Geno is really adding the 5 days of practice, then he is being selfish. I truly understand the conditioning problem, but with the playing of games very uncertain, he has to realize how hard it will be to reschedule. The reason I said selfish is that this is affecting the other teams, teams that may have the same problems and need to get these games in. The hell with the rankings, we may not totally be ready, but one game is probably more helpful to play than 5 more practices. Of course, I am not on the inside, so not privy to what is really going on, just wish there was more info to tell us. Sorry to vent ( again ). Tough week. LOL
I take it you haven't had, nor lived with anyone recovering from covid. It's not an " oh, it's day 11, I'm good to go" type of illness. It took my otherwise very healthy and incredibly athletic daughter over 14 days to feel good enough to even think about regular activities. My husband: It's day 32 and he's just now at full days of being awake and productive. Going back to work today.
I'm sure the whole team didn't test positive on the same day, so this could take a while. Asia Durr contracted Covid in 2019, and still isn't playing. Every individuals recovery is different.
10 days to not infect someone else doesn't mean you're good to go.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
:eek: Yikes! Is that really a serious question?
The team is being tested on a daily basis-allow for the possibility that additional players or tier 1 staff became infected during that 10 day period. Consider yourself very lucky if you or a close family member have not become infected even after being fully vaccinated and following the CDC guidelines.

Reaction Score
You do understand, that just because the state only requires 10 days of isolation, this doesn't magically deem them well enough to play on day 11? C'mon, man....put your thinking cap on.

Reaction Score
The discrepancy in games played isn't just from Covid. Our schedule from the start was backloaded. November and December combined had only 11 games scheduled, while January and February EACH had 10 games scheduled. That's a major factor in why we have fewer games played than the other programs.
I agreed from the start of the UConn Women's schedule that something was out of kilter. An early tournament of three consectutive days, perhaps some injuries flowing out of that, then many open dates. Strange schedule! We haven't had enough games to build chemistry and are now well behind games played of most teams. Can this be made up???

Reaction Score
You do understand, that just because the state only requires 10 days of isolation, this doesn't magically deem them well enough to play on day 11? C'mon, man....put your thinking cap on.
Again, my question goes specifically to the rules. I'm looking for the technical answer. I've searched the Big East site and only came up with the press release from two weeks ago announcing the modification to the forfeit rule. I thought it was an interesting question stemming from Bald Huskie's post about Geno's five days of practice requirement. Where in the rules does it say you get five days to get ready for a contest? Teams have certainly dealt with illness in the past: a cold or stomach bug ripping through the team. I don't recall any provisions that allowed for the team to not only postpone a game, but then be allowed to continue postponing games until they felt ready to play again.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Again, my question goes specifically to the rules. I'm looking for the technical answer. I've searched the Big East site and only came up with the press release from two weeks ago announcing the modification to the forfeit rule. I thought it was an interesting question stemming from Bald Huskie's post about Geno's five days of practice requirement. Where in the rules does it say you get five days to get ready for a contest? Teams have certainly dealt with illness in the past: a cold or stomach bug ripping through the team. I don't recall any provisions that allowed for the team to not only postpone a game, but then be allowed to continue postponing games until they felt ready to play again.
So you want us to go look up a rule that you were unable to find?
This game has not been cancelled/or postponed yet. If and when it is postponed it will likely because common sense prevailed and not because of a "rule". This is COVID that the world is dealing- to hell with the damn rules! Do what is best for the players and the staff.

Reaction Score

I don't know anything about the 5 days of practice but I thought Marquette canceled the game their game. Then Uconn canceled the DePaul game, which was canceled on the 28. If that is the case, the team hasn't been in quarantine for 10 days.

Reaction Score
So you want us to go look up a rule that you were unable to find?
This game has not been cancelled/or postponed yet. If and when it is postponed it will likely because common sense prevailed and not because of a "rule". This is COVID that the world is dealing- to hell with the damn rules! Do what is best for the players and the staff.
I made no such request. I simply asked if anyone knew the rule after trying to do my own research and failing to find the definitive answer. It's hard to believe that these decisions would be left up to what essentially amounts to an honor system with no oversight, and as I said I was wondering if there is a more rigorous process in place to trust but verify beyond a team simply saying we're not ready to play.

Reaction Score
I don't know anything about the 5 days of practice but I thought Marquette canceled the game their game. Then Uconn canceled the DePaul game, which was canceled on the 28. If that is the case, the team hasn't been in quarantine for 10 days.
Marquette did cancel that game.

Reaction Score
If Geno is really adding the 5 days of practice, then he is being selfish. I truly understand the conditioning problem, but with the playing of games very uncertain, he has to realize how hard it will be to reschedule. The reason I said selfish is that this is affecting the other teams, teams that may have the same problems and need to get these games in. The hell with the rankings, we may not totally be ready, but one game is probably more helpful to play than 5 more practices. Of course, I am not on the inside, so not privy to what is really going on, just wish there was more info to tell us. Sorry to vent ( again ). Tough week. LOL
It may have nothing to do with conditioning in the classic sense. Since the virus attacks, not exclusively, the lungs and respiratory system, the 5 days may be nothing more than time well spent in ensuring that any player does not come back before the body is ready for the rigors of all out physical assertion. The first priority has to be protecting the charges entrusted to you, period.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I made no such request. I simply asked if anyone knew the rule after trying to do my own research and failing to find the definitive answer. It's hard to believe that these decisions would be left up to what essentially amounts to an honor system with no oversight, and as I said I was wondering if there is a more rigorous process in place to trust but verify beyond a team simply saying we're not ready to play.
Sure you did!
Where in the rules does it say you get five days to get ready for a contest?

Reaction Score
Alexa Phillippou posted that she's tracking Big East BB cancellation/make up dates at the link below.
Some BE games have already been rescheduled.

I wonder how many rescheduled games will be cancelled/postponed again.

Star Wars GIF

Reaction Score
If most of the team got infected, then we'll be good to go for the rest of the season once everyone's back. Don't need to test for 90 days after recovery from infection.

Have to think some coaches are secretly hoping that their whole team gets infected now. so it doesn't interfere with March.

Reaction Score
If most of the team got infected, then we'll be good to go for the rest of the season once everyone's back. Don't need to test for 90 days after recovery from infection.

Have to think some coaches are secretly hoping that their whole team gets infected now. so it doesn't interfere with March.
I'm in total disbelief at the lack of caring about these players as people. Some of y'all clearly just view them as a means to an end, which is really all you care about. I don't think any coach is hoping that anyone on their team gets infected with a virus that would make them sick now, on top of risking long-term effects. What kind of crazy nonsense is that?

I hope all of y'all who thought Geno should have spoken up against Muffet, which I agree with in this case, do the same when people post heartless garbage like this.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If most of the team got infected, then we'll be good to go for the rest of the season once everyone's back. Don't need to test for 90 days after recovery from infection. Have to think some coaches are secretly hoping that their whole team gets infected now. so it doesn't interfere with March.
That's a very faulty premise because although reinfections rates are very low it is possible to get get re-infected. Remember that this team was fully vaccinated. Additionally UCONN has to play some other teams in March or whenever the season resumes- are we going to coordinate that all the UCONN potential opponents get their entire teams infected as well?

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Sorry about that last post, very selfish of me to think that way. Of course, I know how bad it is and it really was not my intention to react that way. My wife says I react to things without thinking sometimes, but who could guess that she could be right. LOL. Anyway, I apologize for being stupid and insensitive and just pray that our girls are safe and do not come out of this with any lasting effects.

Reaction Score
That's a very faulty premise because although reinfections rates are very low it is possible to get get re-infected. Remember that this team was fully vaccinated. Additionally UCONN has to play some other teams in March or whenever the season resumes- are we going to coordinate that all the UCONN potential opponents get their entire teams infected as well?

It is what it is. Those are the rules. CDC Guidelines that I believe the NCAA has implemented. No testing for 90 days after infection.

Reaction Score
I'm in total disbelief at the lack of caring about these players as people. Some of y'all clearly just view them as a means to an end, which is really all you care about. I don't think any coach is hoping that anyone on their team gets infected with a virus that would make them sick now, on top of risking long-term effects. What kind of crazy nonsense is that?

I hope all of y'all who thought Geno should have spoken up against Muffet, which I agree with in this case, do the same when people post heartless garbage like this.

I'm just saying, we've basically given up on trying to contain this thing. So if all the players are going to get it, it would be better for them to get it all now, rather than spread out throughout the season.

If we really don't want players (or young people) to get infected, we shouldn't be playing a season and should be in lockdown.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom