Game Experience Thoughts... | The Boneyard

Game Experience Thoughts...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know a lot has been covered and maybe the victory has provided some positive spin on the night that may have been overlooked previously but I think the first game was a home run from a "experience" standpoint!

*Parking was great, well run compared to years past at least from what I encoutered. For the first time in years I went back to Grey Lot and am really glad I did. I forgot how much I missed the grass and open area to play corn hold and walk around compared to the stones and "sardine factor" of Blue Lot. The attendants were really personable and easy to work with compared to what I've experienced in years past.
*the Kid Zone was fun for my little knuckleheads and meeting the Hockey Team for autographs was an added bonus for them. My son took tons of pics with the Cheerleaders... He's still talking about it.
*My kids got to meet theAir Force FAC (Foward Air Controller) with his radio preparing to call in the
F-15's! They loved that!! He patiently listened to the fact that their Grandfather was a fighter pilot in The Marine Corps and that Daddy is a Marine as well.... I'm sure THAT was the highlight of his night! LOL
*There was a general buzz in the air as we made our way over to the Uconn Ambulance to grab a quick beer before going into the game. I hadn't felt that in a LONG time.
*Got my season ticket holder hat which was immediately snatched up by my son! Kids......
*Entry of the stadium- surprisingly went VERY smooth and was the biggest shocker of the night. Usually the "pat down police" cause the lines to unnecessarily back up for miles while they enjoy their "temporary authority"in years past. It was a VERY welcome improvement and quite honestly a big reason people can't get to their seats on time for the game.
*The crowd - 2 groups of fans really helped pull of the night. I know this has been covered in another thread but the students did a great job and stayed most of the second half which was fantastic! I would also recommend that we reserve a front row seat for the blonde that was on the jumbotron for the reset of the season! The Pratt employees helped tremendously, it was great to look across the field at their sections that were full to the top. I hope they continue coming all season!
*The pre game announcements were very solid, I like the format.
*The fly-over and flap-over were fantastic!
*The intro of the team was great, you could tell Coach D has been waiting to "unleash the hounds" for a long time! The best part was the smoke and lots of it. Got love that smoke!!!
*Season ticket holders..... If there is a positive side to the "thinning of the herd" effect of losing the "fair weather fans" I think it has helped pack the lower bowl with the die-hards! The lower bowl stayed full most of the game and didn't empty by the 3rd ate like years past. I hope it continues!

Things to improve on:
*We need to fix the 3rd down sign on the scoreboard when it's 4th down. I know it that it's automatically triggered in the program when they hit the music, but our programming company needs to install an override for 4th down. Should be an easy fix.
*Scoreboard - my new seats don't allow me to see the opponents score above the student section, the pole for the FG nets blocks it. That's just bad luck, I get that but we moved to the from row in the corner student section for the 4th qtr and had to keep looking behind up to see the Board. I know the ribbon bars pay the bills but they should add something up there or install a new bord in the corner. It seems like this is an issue for many people according to previous posts

Overall Grade:
Based on where we have been the last 3 years and using that as a benchmark I would give Thursday nights game a solid A-! I hope we can continue to improve from here both on and off the field!

Go Huskies!!

Reaction Score
No mistaking the event staff this season. In the past, some wore tennis ball green tees, others were adorned with white with blue lettering. This season all event staff, be they security or parking attendants are wearing yellow golf shirts with black trim that clearly say Event Staff.
Season ticket holder hat: They had on file that I've been a season ticket holder since 2000 & gave me a 2000 hat. In actuality, I've been a season ticket holder since Lew Perkins made the announcement that UConn would be moving up to 1-A from 1-AA circa 1995. Maybe their records only go back to when UConn's first season as 1-a. In any event, I gave the hat to my friend who has been along for the ride since Day-1 as he just became a grandfather for the first time this week.
-Note to event management: Please return the score & game clock back to the bottom of the Jumbotron. That is all,
-Didn't miss Subway, Dunkin Donuts, whatever husky helmet shuffle game on the jumbotron not happening. If it did, I completely missed it.
-Out of town scores; With the plethora of opening night games, the UConn decision to only show AAC scores (FIU vs. UCF) is completely annoying & disingenuous. We are COLLEGE FOOTBALL FANS. To pretend that the rest of the college landscape doesn't exist is myopic.
- "Connecticut law-One beer per person." On signage at all kiosks. I actually found this comical. The beer kiosks are staffed by volunteers, not employees. Eg. East Hartford Lions Club, various towns youth sports, etc. I went with one of the guys to the Guinness kiosk for a black & tan. I then proceeded to a Coors Light kiosk to get a beer for the Mrs., not having noticed this new addition to the signage. When I asked for a Coors Light, the response from the volunteer was " I can't sell you one because you have a beer in your hand." I decided to have some fun with her & responded back "BUT I didn't buy it here!" She got all huffy & said "I'm sorry sir, BUT, I can't make an exception & risk losing my job!" She's an unpaid volunteer, not a paid employee. Had my buddy hold my beer, came back & bought the Silver Bullet.

Reaction Score
No mistaking the event staff this season. In the past, some wore tennis ball green tees, others were adorned with white with blue lettering. This season all event staff, be they security or parking attendants are wearing yellow golf shirts with black trim that clearly say Event Staff.
Season ticket holder hat: They had on file that I've been a season ticket holder since 2000 & gave me a 2000 hat. In actuality, I've been a season ticket holder since Lew Perkins made the announcement that UConn would be moving up to 1-A from 1-AA circa 1995. Maybe their records only go back to when UConn's first season as 1-a. In any event, I gave the hat to my friend who has been along for the ride since Day-1 as he just became a grandfather for the first time this week.
-Note to event management: Please return the score & game clock back to the bottom of the Jumbotron. That is all,
-Didn't miss Subway, Dunkin Donuts, whatever husky helmet shuffle game on the jumbotron not happening. If it did, I completely missed it.
-Out of town scores; With the plethora of opening night games, the UConn decision to only show AAC scores (FIU vs. UCF) is completely annoying & disingenuous. We are COLLEGE FOOTBALL FANS. To pretend that the rest of the college landscape doesn't exist is myopic.
- "Connecticut law-One beer per person." On signage at all kiosks. I actually found this comical. The beer kiosks are staffed by volunteers, not employees. Eg. East Hartford Lions Club, various towns youth sports, etc. I went with one of the guys to the Guinness kiosk for a black & tan. I then proceeded to a Coors Light kiosk to get a beer for the Mrs., not having noticed this new addition to the signage. When I asked for a Coors Light, the response from the volunteer was " I can't sell you one because you have a beer in your hand." I decided to have some fun with her & responded back "BUT I didn't buy it here!" She got all huffy & said "I'm sorry sir, BUT, I can't make an exception & risk losing my job!" She's an unpaid volunteer, not a paid employee. Had my buddy hold my beer, came back & bought the Silver Bullet.

Not buying the "Connecticut law" bit. Unless the XL Center's marketing plan is to openly flout State law.

Reaction Score
Fairly smooth game night experience for us. Agree completely about the scoreboard: bring the game clock back to the right side of the Jumbotron and score/down/distance/TO in readable font to the bottom of the 'Tron. It was well into the game before they showed replays--have to be ready for them at kickoff.

I prefer the player self-introductions rather than the game announcer introducing them during the video package. Music seemed louder than normal...where was the kiss cam?

Parking in gray lot was fine. They needed an attendant there at the end of the game to help pedestrians across the traffic lanes to get back to the lot. Some drivers were stuck for several minutes as fans streamed back to their cars.

A personal peeve: tailgater infringement. We park then walk around the stadium, get some freebies at Fan Fest and greet the team at the Husky Walk. When we get back to start our tailgate, our neighbors have annexed the space behind our SUV as part of their tailgate. Most are willing to move, but why take it in the first place?

Reaction Score
I think the "one beer" law was developed by a cheapskate legislator so he didn't have buy beers for his buddies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
About the 1 beer limit: I'm thinking the State Police gave their concerns to UConn over the extra hour of tailgating. There were several announcements from Coach Diaco about designated drivers (not that that is a bad thing!). I don't remember there being so many "drink responsibly" announcements in the past...maybe because I've been blackout drunk when they were made (?). :confused:

Dooley

Reaction Score
Unless recently repealed >> CONNECTICUT Sec. 30-6-A24b. Restrictions on drink promotions (b) Restrictions. No permittee, backer, or employee or agent of same, at any on-premises consumption place of business, shall: (1) sell, offer, or deliver more than one drink to any one person for his/her own consumption at any one time. A second serving may be allowed only after the first serving has been substantially disposed of or consumed;

That does it, I'm bringing my funnel with me to the beer kiosk for the Army game!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yeah the pre game is better when the players do their own introduction. Old John also had 3 hometowns wrong and missed the tackler on plays at least 5 times.

He is brutal on the PA.

Reaction Score
Yeah the pre game is better when the players do their own introduction. Old John also had 3 hometowns wrong and missed the tackler on plays at least 5 times.

He is brutal on the PA.
The public announcer is awful.I will say that a lot of the players introducing themselves were difficult to understand,either by mumbling or speaking too softly.I do like the new graphics on the intro's.

Reaction Score
I actually said "are You kidding me ?? " to the girl behind the counter.I asked her " do I get a discount for being a season ticket holder ?"She laughed at me. That is an outrage for a bottle of water.
It is outrageous - so I get an empty cup and head to the drinking fountain.

Reaction Score
It felt like the PA was a little louder than normal.

And maybe they can come up with a "Quiet ... offense at work" graphic. A group of guys in my Sec 227 insist on waving their arms and trying to incite the crowd on a UCONN 4th down. I've tried for years to explain to them the UCONN coaches would rather it be quiet on an offensive 4th down ... they don't get it!

Reaction Score
I actually said "are You kidding me ?? " to the girl behind the counter.I asked her " do I get a discount for being a season ticket holder ?"She laughed at me. That is an outrage for a bottle of water.
Agree. Water should always be reasonable. As close to free as possible. For one health reasons especially when it is hot. Secondly to discount. Dry Beverages to get people away from alcohol.

Reaction Score
Agree. Water should always be reasonable. As close to free as possible. For one health reasons especially when it is hot. Secondly to discount. Dry Beverages to get people away from alcohol.

Or vice versa if we are playing Rutgers.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Inside the stadium it has regressed. It is a horrendous experience with the scoreboard and pa system that is awful, to no scores of orher games, highlights. Horrible. The parking lot jack everyone in regardlesx game is the same. Has not gotten better, but not worse. Inside? Experience and technology has regressed. But hey, folks here love our inept AD.

Reaction Score
I agree. There is too much commotion.The sound system is just plain awful.Music is blasting out of those terrible speakers,sometimes mixing in with the band.I lowered my seats into section 117.I wish I didn't.My head was pounding from it.With the technology today,it's time to get with the times.The megaphone sounding nonsense has to go.I don't remember hearing this craziness at Michigan or Notre Dame.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
About the 1 beer limit: I'm thinking the State Police gave their concerns to UConn over the extra hour of tailgating. ...

It's been one beer at a time for several years now.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Inside the stadium it has regressed. It is a horrendous experience with the scoreboard and pa system that is awful, to no scores of orher games, highlights. Horrible. The parking lot jack everyone in regardlesx game is the same. Has not gotten better, but not worse. Inside? Experience and technology has regressed. But hey, folks here love our inept AD.

How do you go on living with such hardship in your life?

Reaction Score
About the 1 beer limit: I'm thinking the State Police gave their concerns to UConn over the extra hour of tailgating. There were several announcements from Coach Diaco about designated drivers (not that that is a bad thing!). I don't remember there being so many "drink responsibly" announcements in the past...maybe because I've been blackout drunk when they were made (?). :confused:

Sec. 30-6-A24b. Restrictions on drink promotions (a) Definitions. (1) The term —“drink” as used in this section means a unit of liquid containing alcoholic liquor customarily considered in the on-premises consumption retail alcoholic beverage trade as a single serving for one person including, but not limited to, a double, half-bottle, half-carafe and split. (2) The term —“private function” as used in this section means any gathering of persons for ceremony or entertainment or any other purpose provided such event shall not be open to the general public during the event and shall be restricted to invited guests. (b) Restrictions. No permittee, backer, or employee or agent of same, at any on premises consumption place of business, shall: (1) sell, offer, or deliver more than one drink to any one person for his/her own consumption at any one time. A second serving may be allowed only after the first serving has been substantially disposed of or consumed; (2) sell, offer or deliver drinks by the pitcher or other vessel containing more than one drink except to two or more persons, excluding minors as defined by the Liquor Control Act, at any one time. A second serving may be allowed only after the first serving has been substantially disposed of or consumed;

Reaction Score
Hey look at the bright side, $5 water is criminal but someone forgot to turn off the water fountains like they did in years past on hot day games. Maybe because it was an opening night screwup? Woohoo! One for our side.

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
Anyone watching this VTECH entrance? Goosebumps. Talk about a game day experience on campus.

My biggest complaint about PAWS- nothing unique about the stadium or experience. Nothing that is a "UCONN" game day experience that isn't done anywhere else. Would love to see them implement this when they eventually expand and we move to a P5.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Anyone watching this VTECH entrance? Goosebumps. Talk about a game day experience on campus.

My biggest complaint about PAWS- nothing unique about the stadium or experience. Nothing that is a "UCONN" game day experience that isn't done anywhere else. Would love to see them implement this when they eventually expand and we move to a P5.

Not to nitpick, because I'm worried more about winning games now (then drawing more fans later), but a "cool" team entrance is largely dictated by the fans. When the entire stadium is packed and in their seats well before the teams enter, then any entrance has the potential to be cool. Our fanbase, except for the Michigan game, has quite a reputation for getting to their seats well after the teams enter the field.

Reaction Score
Dooley said:
Not to nitpick, because I'm worried more about winning games now (then drawing more fans later), but a "cool" team entrance is largely dictated by the fans. When the entire stadium is packed and in their seats well before the teams enter, then any entrance has the potential to be cool. Our fanbase, except for the Michigan game, has quite a reputation for getting to their seats well after the teams enter the field.

I got pumped up just watching how fired up the players were in the tunnel on Thursday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom