Game Day! Sun versus Mercury | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Game Day! Sun versus Mercury

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Or call it experience and court savvy. And How does she "get away" with it when she generally gets more technicals than any other player? Unfortunatey the day of being nice while playing basketball is long gone. D isn't going to win any sportmanship awards but she is playing to win and takes no prisoners. Watch LA play sometime and notice how Beard mugs the hell out of people because of her great defensive player "reputation". Talk about getting away with murder.

She gets about half of the Ts she earns. -30-

Reaction Score
Jasmine Thomas was four to six feet away from Taurasi when she was clapping. Watch the video. Taurasi then moved closer and clapped in Thomas' face. Diana likes to get pissed off to give herself motivation. If you like it, great. Not the way I would raise my kids to be though. Not sportsmanlike at all. I hope her children never see that side of her.

Anyway, the real problem for CT from my point of view came with Curt Miller's meltdown in the huddle. It seemed the Sun couldn't do anything right after that. It took the wind out of their sails and, before the meltdown, they had a chance of winning the game. It was still going to be difficult, but they were right there with Phoenix. He needs to learn to maintain a higher level of control over himself if he wants his team to perform well in the tight situations.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Jasmine Thomas was four to six feet away from Taurasi when she was clapping. Watch the video. Taurasi then moved closer and clapped in Thomas' face. Diana likes to get pissed off to give herself motivation. If you like it, great. Not the way I would raise my kids to be though. Not sportsmanlike at all. I hope her children never see that side of her.

Anyway, the real problem for CT from my point of view came with Curt Miller's meltdown in the huddle. It seemed the Sun couldn't do anything right after that. It took the wind out of their sails and, before the meltdown, they had a chance of winning the game. It was still going to be difficult, but they were right there with Phoenix. He needs to learn to maintain a higher level of control over himself if he wants his team to perform well in the tight situations.

Don't forget DT pursuing Jas after the game and dropping an f-bomb on her. Completely uncalled for, punk move.

Roger, at what point in the game is the meltdown you refer to?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Don't forget DT pursuing Jas after the game and dropping an f-bomb on her. Completely uncalled for, punk move.

Roger, at what point in the game is the meltdown you refer to?
It was fairly late in the game. It was neck and neck at the time. They showed it on tv. It's hard to say exactly when it happened live. It was in the huddle during a timeout.

And the after game stuff was just ridiculous by DT.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I listened to a podcast with Lynx coach Reeve who talked about Diana and the Sun players. She said she was happy that Diana called them out on (disrespectful) things said and done which Reeve said has happened before. She said she was happy Phoenix won the game and that Diana was able to do something about it. Hmmm. Sounds like Reeve is not a fan of the Sun.

Reaction Score
I listened to a podcast with Lynx coach Reeve who talked about Diana and the Sun players. She said she was happy that Diana called them out on (disrespectful) things said and done which Reeve said has happened before. She said she was happy Phoenix won the game and that Diana was able to do something about it. Hmmm. Sounds like Reeve is not a fan of the Sun.
I am sure that had nothing to do with the Sun having their number of late. Is that the same coach Reeve who said that Nnekka Ogumike was the biggest flopper in the league?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I am sure that had nothing to do with the Sun having their number of late. Is that the same coach Reeve who said that Nnekka Ogumike was the biggest flopper in the league?

Probably the same Coach Reeve and she wouldn't be wrong.

Reaction Score
Probably the same Coach Reeve and she wouldn't be wrong.
Of course when Whalen flopped for Coach Reeve, as she often did, I doubt she looked at it quite so judgmentally. That was just a savvy veteran move in her eyes. Calling out an opposing player for the same kind of stuff she would love her own players to do is low.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Of course when Whalen flopped for Coach Reeve, as she often did, I doubt she looked at it quite so judgmentally. That was just a savvy veteran move in her eyes. Calling out an opposing player for the same kind of stuff she would love her own players to do is low.
It's about the frequency of that, as well as flopping when there is no or minimal contact.

Reaction Score

I have to admit, I feel baffled by these comments from Reeve. Can you post the link to this podcast? I don't understand why Reeve would call the behaviour of the Sun players disrespectful. Maybe she's more a fan of the conflict because she likes that kind of competitiveness and because of the attention it brought the league?

Courtney Williams has been posting game day pictures on her Instagram account all season, and that's all she did. Yes, Taurasi is in Williams' Aug. 23rd game day post - it's a picture from the previous game between the Sun and the Mercury. I suppose Diana didn't like it because she lost that game. But nothing was written about her in Williams' Instagram post, so I don't know why Reeve would call that disrespectful.

Jasmine Thomas seems to be recognized by her peers and media members as one of the classiest players in the league. Sure, she clapped when she thought she got a call. Taurasi was heated about that and clapped back. Her [expletive]-off comments after the game are disappointing. I remember seeing footage from the 2017 All-Star game of Taurasi and Thomas having a cute chat about their upcoming games that season ... it's always a bit sad when that friendly respect just seems to be forgotten between players after a game has ended. But Diana seems to be a very emotional player and I guess was caught up in feeling heated.

Reaction Score

Gotta link?

That incident isn’t that bad, but in Reeve’s final press conference of the season, she claimed none of the Lynx players were untouchable (as in a trade). She’s gonna disrespect Maya like that? With Whalen, Augustus, and Brunson, she’s always had a Lynx-for-Life mantra.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Gotta link?

That incident isn’t that bad, but in Reeve’s final press conference of the season, she claimed none of the Lynx players were untouchable (as in a trade). She’s gonna disrespect Maya like that? With Whalen, Augustus, and Brunson, she’s always had a Lynx-for-Life mantra.

Cat posted the link to Cheryl's podcasts: Taurasi vs. Bird

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom