Game day cuisine | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Game day cuisine

Reaction Score
Mmmmm, Sunday morning...snowing a bit...just happen to have some veal cutlets in the fridge...inspired by the cuisine Philistines (but nevertheless friends) on The Boneyard, think I'll surprise my Valentine of these lo and many years with some grillades n grits for brunch. Ooooh, as they say in D.C., "trust me!"

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
4240034-9531692152-143zs.jpg
Okra, yuck. Have to tell everyone my okra story. My parents are from the Carolina's and loved grits and okra, although not together. My parents used to boil their okra and I'd always found the smell and taste foul. While speaking to a friend of mine he told me a story of another friend who while having dinner at a third friends house was served okra. This friends youngest brother had a head cold and was at the dinner table. The friend said when the child's snot dripped onto the plate and he couldn't tell the difference between the snot and the okra "juice" he swore off okra forever, then and there. So did I.

However y'all, I live in NYC. There isn't a kind of cuisine extant in this country that isn't here, and I've tried them all. In this country there are, I my opinion, 2 cuisines: Southern cuisine and burgers. Southern cuisine wins every time. Except on gameday when my custom burger is king. Every other cuisine is from somewhere else.

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Mmmmm, Sunday morning..snowing a bit..just happen to have some veal cutlets in the fridge..inspired by the cuisine Philistines (but nevertheless friends) on The Boneyard, think I'll surprise my Valentine of these lo and many years with some grillades n grits for brunch. Ooooh, as they say in D.C., "trust me!"
Trust that knock at the door then. It's a Brooklyn boy with the UConn hat.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
if you tried them a dozen different ways.. you enjoyed them!

butter, cheese and black pepper.. with scrambled eggs and a grilled Georgia hot on the side! that's the only way

Nah! If you go out for breakfast in the low country they are gonna' slop some sort of grits on your plate, usually messing up your eggs. If you tell the waitress "no grits please" she'll know you're a Yankee and probably spit in your coffee.

My favorite low country foods - catfish and hush puppies from the Dock Restaurant in Monck's Corners, before it went touristy and fried gator tail at the Berkley Yacht Club on the Cooper River (a bubba' style bait and tackle place with a few rickety docks and a boat launch) at a time when gators were a protected species and you had to order the "special fried chicken." I also like sausage and gravy biscuits but don't think they're considered low country.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I never really have associated clams with CT.. but i do remember my father telling me stories of working at a seafood restaurant and making clam chowder up in Connecticut back in the late 50s... early 60s

Used to have a lot of lobster out of the Sound, but the catch has been decimated by we-know-not what. Too bad.

We're down to cider and donuts!

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
when you say BBQ are you talking about "grilling" the "meat" or just the "sauce"

some say "we're having a BBQ" some, say "who made that BBQ"

I like food grilled at a barbecue, but what's being referred to in this thread is chopped or pulled meat (usually pork) that is smothered in some sort of sauce. It is a rural Southern staple, and probably a large contributor to lower life expectancy in the rural South.

Reaction Score
In Texas, BBQ refers to the meat I believe.. they use beef brisket and don't put sauce on it (or use VERY little). It's just seasoned and marvelous. In SC, when people say BBQ they are talking about the sauce because it's already understood that you're putting the sauce of your choice on pulled pork.. the deep south is pulled pork country.
I have actually gone on BBQ vacations to Memphis and Kansas City. Had BBQ in Texas, North and South Carolina. Memphis and KC are the best. Wide variety in styles there, but no mustard.

Reaction Score
I like food grilled at a barbecue, but what's being referred to in this thread is chopped or pulled meat (usually pork) that is smothered in some sort of sauce. It is a rural Southern staple, and probably a large contributor to lower life expectancy in the rural South.
Actually, I think Waffle House leads to lower life expectancy. Nobody anywhere makes better hash browns than Waffle House.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom