Game day cuisine | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Game day cuisine

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I lived in Charleston for 9 years. We pulled our own shrimp from Shem creek, boiled them right there on the bank and served with beer. Favorite local SC foods - catfish and hush puppies and Hoppin' John. Grilled gator tail ain't bad either if you can find it.

Mustard based South Caroline BBQ semi sucks. Try a North Carolina style instead. Vinegar, salt and lots of pepper. It's a great mop and dip for a pig roast or a pulled pork sandwich.

I hate grits! Boiled peanuts (another SC junk food) and okra also suck.

I don't like grits or okra, either. Of course, I'm not a native I can eat boiled peanuts, but I prefer dry roasted. The only SC delicacy I can say I really like is She Crab Soup.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I admittedly don't cook much. All week long it's a variation of skinless chicken with vegetables. But I do have a once a week gameday ritual. A double cheeseburger with blue cheese, jalapeno, lettuce, tomato, bacon and red onion. When I get it home I add garlic. Monday night the feast is on.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
hate grits and okra? y'all must not be from Buena Vista, Georgia

Reaction Score
As a native New Orleanian, and as a passionate cook and even more passionate consumer of my native cuisine, I've been amused to learn on this thread that our beloved okra "sucks." Where I come from, it is a gift from the gods, and is mainly enjoyed in one of three ways:

1. It is, of course, the fundamental structural ingredient in seafood gumbo. It not only imparts indispensable flavor, but, as it is slowly (emphasize slowly) cooked down in a dark roux, and as it breaks down, it becomes the primary thickening agent in our signature local dish, without which, well, gumbo wouldn't be gumbo!

2. When it is stewed down in tomatoes and onions, with a dollop of creole mustard and great seasoning added in, it becomes (in the right hands, of course) a legendary side dish as accompaniment to any great New Orleans meal. Because grocery stores everywhere carry frozen, cut up okra, this is one of the classic dishes that can be cooked anywhere in the country without actually having to be on the local scene to buy the requisite ingredients.

3. Fried...ok, somewhat less healthy, but totally delicious...another heavenly side dish.

Reaction Score
Clear chowda here along the RI border. Lots of clams, salt pork, onions, celery, potatoes, sometimes use sweets, fish stock, clam broth, and a touch of thyme.

Making some right now in honor of this thread

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Clear chowda here along the RI border. Lots of clams, salt pork, onions, celery, potatoes, sometimes use sweets, fish stock, clam broth, and a touch of thyme.

Making some right now in honor of this thread
That sounds good; I'm searching recipes.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
hate grits and okra? y'all must not be from Buena Vista, Georgia

I lived for 9 years in the SC low country. I've tried grits prepared in a dozen different ways. No matter how they were disguised they still sucked. As for Okra, maybe I haven't experimented enough. I tried them a couple of times many years ago and decided that it wasn't for me. Tasteless, slimy stuff comes to mind.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I lived for 9 years in the SC low country. I've tried grits prepared in a dozen different ways. No matter how they were disguised they still sucked. As for Okra, maybe I haven't experimented enough. I tried them a couple of times many years ago and decided that it wasn't for me. Tasteless, slimy stuff comes to mind.

Never was a big okra fan.... but fried okra isnt too bad....started to try it in the past year or so.. just got to have it with ranch dressing and texas pete's hot sauce.

Reaction Score
Most folks from New Orleans and its environs, me included, cling to the belief, right or wrong, that people in the rest of the country don't know nuthin' 'bout good food. Nothing on this thread dissuades me from that admittedly smug conviction...sorry!

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I lived in Charleston for 9 years. We pulled our own shrimp from Shem creek, boiled them right there on the bank and served with beer. Favorite local SC foods - catfish and hush puppies and Hoppin' John. Grilled gator tail ain't bad either if you can find it.

Mustard based South Caroline BBQ semi sucks. Try a North Carolina style instead. Vinegar, salt and lots of pepper. It's a great mop and dip for a pig roast or a pulled pork sandwich.

As a born and raised Charlestonian and proud South Carolinian you just shot a bullet straight into my heart...

Those are fighting words!

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Most folks from New Orleans and its environs, me included, cling to the belief, right or wrong, that people in the rest of the country don't know nuthin' 'bout good food. Nothing on this thread dissuades me from that admittedly smug conviction..sorry!

I hold firm to my belief that the South is the region in America with the most authentic "American" cuisine..... and it varies from each state. Everywhere else is just "land of the bland" when it comes to food...

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I don't like grits or okra, either. Of course, I'm not a native I can eat boiled peanuts, but I prefer dry roasted. The only SC delicacy I can say I really like is She Crab Soup.

4240034-9531692152-143zs.jpg

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
if you tried them a dozen different ways... you enjoyed them!

butter, cheese and black pepper... with scrambled eggs and a grilled Georgia hot on the side! that's the only way

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
As a born and raised Charlestonian and proud South Carolinian you just shot a bullet straight into my heart..

Those are fighting words!

Lol, I've lived in SC since 3rd grade and I still don't care for BBQ, regardless of sauce.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Lol, I've lived in SC since 3rd grade and I still don't care for BBQ, regardless of sauce.
when you say BBQ are you talking about "grilling" the "meat" or just the "sauce"

some say "we're having a BBQ" some, say "who made that BBQ"

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
NC BBQ > SC BBQ :cool:

:p

I'm not the kind of South Carolinian that hates all things North Carolina... I actually like ya'lls BBQ.. but I love the sweet and tangy yellow stuff. SC style BBQ is definitely an acquired taste because it's so different than everybody else's... you either love it or hate it.. everybody has an opinion on it. And interestingly enough.. not all of SC eats the mustard style... you go closer to the mountains and they do more of vinegar sauce.. but from Columbia to Charleston it's mostly sweet mustard sauce.

Last edited:

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

Lol.. stuff happens. I'm from Charleston and can't eat shrimp.... which is like 90% of the local diet, so whenever my family had a low country boil I would basically starve.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
when you say BBQ are you talking about "grilling" the "meat" or just the "sauce"

some say "we're having a BBQ" some, say "who made that BBQ"

In Texas, BBQ refers to the meat I believe.. they use beef brisket and don't put sauce on it (or use VERY little). It's just seasoned and marvelous. In SC, when people say BBQ they are talking about the sauce because it's already understood that you're putting the sauce of your choice on pulled pork.. the deep south is pulled pork country.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I'm not the kind of South Carolinian that hates all things North Carolina.. I actually like ya'lls BBQ.. but I love the sweet and tangy yellow stuff. SC style BBQ is definitely an acquired taste because it's so different than everybody else's.. you either love it or hate it.. everybody has an opinion on it. And interestingly enough.. not all of SC eats the mustard style.. you go closer to the mountains and they do more of vinegar sauce.. but from Columbia to Charleston it's mostly sweet mustard sauce.

The only time ive ever had SC BBQ was here in town... there was a place years ago that had that as an option. I tried it... honestly cant remember if I liked it or not. It just seems weird to think about... MUSTARD in BBQ ??? Its something I want to try again...... one of these days imma make it down to eastern SC to get some. I read/heard before that the the mustard variety was more prominent mid-state down to the coast.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
In Texas, BBQ refers to the meat I believe.. they use beef brisket and don't put sauce on it (or use VERY little). It's just seasoned and marvelous. In SC, when people say BBQ they are talking about the sauce because it's already understood that you're putting the sauce of your choice on pulled pork.. the deep south is pulled pork country.

Ive had BBQ in texas.... of course BBQ in NC..... but the BBQ in Memphis.... those guys are SERIOUS about BBQ. I'd probably gain 100 pounds in a year if I lived there :oops:Head bang

Not sure how they do it in SC...... but depending on the part of the state.... different parts of the hog are used Triad to the mountains...... they tend to just use the pork shoulder and a tomato base.... The triangle and to the coast.... they use the whole hog.... and vinegar.

I'll revisit some of these topics during the off-season in a few OT threads. :cool:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
It's the sauce as far as I know!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom