Game day cuisine | The Boneyard

Game day cuisine

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Cooking is one of my hobbies. Every so often on game day I cook some cuisine from the opponent's region. Tulane is, of course, the easiest, as there is so much wonderful food in New Orleans. Philly cheesesteak, Cincinnati chili, etc. Last year for South Carolina I made SC barbecue. I thought it was okay, wife and kid really couldn't stand it. So this evening I was researching SC cuisine and came upon "Lowcountry" cuisine, a delightful mishmash of different influences. I'm going to make shrimp and grits, probably from Allrecipes, which will make the family stronger if it doesn't kill us.

Anyone else do something like this? Any other suggestions for what to cook for other game days?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Eastern Style Chopped BBQ (pork) for East Carolina.

Memphis Style BBQ...... Ribs for Memphis :)

I was thinking about this the other day. The AAC might lack for great WCBB below the top... but for Cuisine......it takes a back seat to no one. trips. Memphis (BBQ), Greenville (BBQ), New Orleans (Cajun?), Houston (Tex-Mex), Philadelphia (Cheese-steaks), Cincinnati (Chili)

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score

Memphis Style BBQ. Ribs for Memphis :)

I was thinking about this the other day. The AAC might lack for great WCBB below the top.. but for Cuisine.it takes a back seat to no one. trips. Memphis (BBQ), Greenville (BBQ), New Orleans (Cajun?), Houston (Tex-Mex), Philadelphia (Cheese-steaks), Cincinnati (Chili)

Clam Rolls, Lobstah Rolls and Clam Chowder for UCONN! I'm ready for Monday night.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Clam Rolls, Lobstah Rolls and Clam Chowder for UCONN! I'm ready for Monday night.

I never really have associated clams with CT... but i do remember my father telling me stories of working at a seafood restaurant and making clam chowder up in Connecticut back in the late 50s.... early 60s

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Memphis Style BBQ. Ribs for Memphis :)

I was thinking about this the other day. The AAC might lack for great WCBB below the top.. but for Cuisine.it takes a back seat to no one. trips. Memphis (BBQ), Greenville (BBQ), New Orleans (Cajun?), Houston (Tex-Mex), Philadelphia (Cheese-steaks), Cincinnati (Chili)
Magnolia Cupcakes for much of Maryland's pre-conference schedule (UConn and Louisville excepted).

Reaction Score
I never really have associated clams with CT.. but i do remember my father telling me stories of working at a seafood restaurant and making clam chowder up in Connecticut back in the late 50s... early 60s
well, sure, small towns along the coast are dotted with terrific seafood restaurants including clams. Check out the menu at Noah's in Stonington. Dinner Specials

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Broiled Gamecock on Monday at 9 PM. ;)

We feasted on some fried chicken back in December...... pretty good with some of this

11e7d849-4f2c-44fb-905d-a70c608e271b_1.ae5d738904f53434e3169ad6e315ee12.jpeg

Reaction Score
Cooking is one of my hobbies. Every so often on game day I cook some cuisine from the opponent's region. Tulane is, of course, the easiest, as there is so much wonderful food in New Orleans. Philly cheesesteak, Cincinnati chili, etc. Last year for South Carolina I made SC barbecue. I thought it was okay, wife and kid really couldn't stand it. So this evening I was researching SC cuisine and came upon "Lowcountry" cuisine, a delightful mishmash of different influences. I'm going to make shrimp and grits, probably from Allrecipes, which will make the family stronger if it doesn't kill us.

Anyone else do something like this? Any other suggestions for what to cook for other game days?
Need any tasters?

Reaction Score

How did the Cinti chili turn out? Recipe?

Reaction Score
How about slow cooked brisket in your smoker at 225 degrees (17lb. for 10 to 14 hours) until it is 205 degrees internal temperature seasoned with just salt and pepper served with cole slaw and BBQ beans.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

I also love to cook, but it sounds like we are all headed over to Bigboote's house on Monday night to watch the Huskies and stuff ourselves. :)

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
QUOTE="Sonny44, post: 2033900, member: 742"]How did the Cinti chili turn out? Recipe?[/QUOTE]

Here's one recipe and as far as I know they're all similar. Never a fan of chili that includes chocolate or soda. I love a good red chili and would be very interested in seeing other recipes posted here. I'll bet that Mr. West makes an outstanding chili. How about it?

Authentic Cincinnati Chili Recipe

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Slightly off topic here, but what the heck.

Back in the day, "training table" game day meal for players involved STEAK.

So, early 70`s small college basketball team takes bus to play rival and stops along the way at restaurant for pre-game steaks.

Third stringer, 6'4" and a gravy-laden biscuit south of 270 lbs., tells coach he doesn`t eat beef and asks if he can have fish instead. Coach agrees.

Coach swings by a while later and to his surprise, finds the third stringer with bib on devouring twin lobsters!

True story.

Reaction Score
I never really have associated clams with CT.. but i do remember my father telling me stories of working at a seafood restaurant and making clam chowder up in Connecticut back in the late 50s... early 60s
Native Nutmeggers--and Charlestown, RI folks regularly dig clams--cohog (sp)--bay scallops Mystic and Stonington--home acquired (caught/dug)--Crabs and Soft shell -in Charlestown, R.I , lobster boats coming into New London--real fresh sea food and all local.
Of course the No Name restaurant in Boston and Lenny's in Ct have my favorite sea food.
Enough to whet the whistle and appetite. All--right out of the lower New England cook book.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Did you put the Cinci chili on spaghetti?

Reaction Score
Now is your chowda red, white or clear?
For Connecticutites/Nutmeggers--the ONLY chowder is White--New England--- Red manhattan (ok but not real chowder)--clear--????????. Made with fresh clams, not that canned stuff.
Also BBQ--the best is Kansas City and Little Rock Ark---smoked served with Cole Slaw and BBQ baked beans along with Nacho's with Nortel chill/tomato and cumin

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
How did the Cinti chili turn out? Recipe?
I made it for a FB tailgate once. I nailed it, tasted great. I also had all 5 ways available. Nobody ate it.

Reaction Score

How many Boneyarders can you accommodate and what time should we be there?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Just for accuracy sake, you might not know that warm lobster on a toasted roll with drawn butter is a Connecticut-style lobster roll. The other kind, cold with mayonnaise, is really lobster salad.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I lived in Charleston for 9 years. We pulled our own shrimp from Shem creek, boiled them right there on the bank and served with beer. Favorite local SC foods - catfish and hush puppies and Hoppin' John. Grilled gator tail ain't bad either if you can find it.

Mustard based South Caroline BBQ semi sucks. Try a North Carolina style instead. Vinegar, salt and lots of pepper. It's a great mop and dip for a pig roast or a pulled pork sandwich.

I hate grits! Boiled peanuts (another SC junk food) and okra also suck.

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Thanks everyone for the ideas. I'll have to consult this thread before games. To address a couple of questions:

Over spaghetti is the ONLY way to serve Cincinnati chili. It was a goto briefly when the daughter was young. I don't do a really authentic version (the recipe Bliss linked to is authentic), cause both the ladies of the house like it with beans and beef in the sauce. So I do a very mild chili con carne with beans and add a little cocoa and cinnamon to it, and serve it over spag with cheese.

VTC, I love the North Carolina vinegar-pepper BBQ. A friend from Danville (VA, right on the border, from a NC family) introduced me to it almost 30 years ago.

Cheers (I'll have a few Shiners in honor of y'all for the SMU game), Charlie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom