Game Analysis - UConn vs Tennessee | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Game Analysis - UConn vs Tennessee

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Will Jordan Horston play for Lady Vols basketball vs. UConn?​

Ahead of Thursday's game against No. 5 UConn, Lady Vols basketball coach Kellie Harper did not provide an update Tuesday morning on Jordan Horston's status.

The senior starter did not travel with the team for Tennessee's 68-65 win over Missouri on Sunday due to illness. Harper said she would know more later in the day, after the team practiced and she could see what Horston was able to do. The showdown for the Huskies and Lady Vols at Thompson-Boling Arena is scheduled for an 8 p.m. ET tip (ESPN).

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
This is simply. We’re playing at Tennessee. If we get in foul trouble it’s a tuff game. If this game wasn’t in Tenn UConn wins big. At Tenn funny things happen. If we get in foul trouble we are defenseless. If UConn stays out of foul trouble UConn wins. End of subject. Good luck UConn

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
@Tonyc here it is…. UConn has better team basketball players and play the team game extremely better than the Vols. Real basketball wins. UConn by 15+.
I agrees. UConn should however Ive seen and I’ve watched what happens at Tennessee in the past

Reaction Score
? What’s your point?
Point? That the Boneyard is often too critical of coaches and trainers and medical staff and individual players and it can be detrimental since the Boneyard is not in possession of all the necessary facts all the time.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Point? That the Boneyard is often too critical of coaches and trainers and medical staff and individual players and it can be detrimental since the Boneyard is not in possession of all the necessary facts all the time.
It’s a forum for discussion. It’s been around for 30 years and is what it is. I don’t expect it to change any time soon.

Reaction Score
IMHO UCONN has to many athletes to win the battles on the offense and the defense!
Their defense has been smothering their past several games!

Reaction Score
I really believe that uconn has a great chance to make another statement with this game. Everyone one was so worried about DePaul and Morrow. She got her points, but also got shut down and a little exposed by Dorka and AA in the paint. So I expect that tonight. And as a team, I believe that uconn can stand with any team. They have that no rattle attitude. And the bench is getting great playtime. And getting confident in themselves. And a Team can beat any I. Go Huskies.

Reaction Score
Fouls are going to be the key. Our bench barely plays and to be honest have never played in a huge intense game like this. Kelly plays everybody and she has a long bench. We need to jump out early. Part of Kelly’s strategy is to make it physical and use her bench. Geno will try not to.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Fouls are going to be the key. Our bench barely plays and to be honest have never played in a huge intense game like this. Kelly plays everybody and she has a long bench. We need to jump out early. Part of Kelly’s strategy is to make it physical and use her bench. Geno will try not to.
Never? Except for Lou, Ines, and Ayanna the others played in the National Championship game and at South Carolina.

Reaction Score
Let's start out by saying this isn't the same UConn vs Tenn match-up game that everyone circled on their calendar 15 years ago...when it was the best rivalry in WCBB. With that being said...it is a game of importance this year especially given that we have been playing with a depleted team since the beginning of the season. The fact that we have 2 losses...and are tethering on the edge of getting a number one or two seed for the NCAAs makes this game an important one to win. Losing to yet another unranked team could hurt our seeding going into the tournament. I agree with the poster who stated that losing to South Carolina shouldn't change our seeding at all.

Tennessee is a long team...without Horston Tennessee is still quite long and match up size wise pretty good with UConn. That will probably be starting: 5'8", 6'2', 6'1", 6'2" and 6'3". They also have 6'5" Jillian Hollingsbrad and 6'1" Jasmin Franklin coming off the bench. They are also joined by 5'6" Jasmine Powell as well. UConn starts: 6'5", 6'3", 6'1", 6'1" and 5'10". UConn brings 6'5", 6'2" and 5'9" off the bench. This match-up assumes that Horston will continue to be on the IR list. If she plays then the entire complexion of the game changes.

Tennessee averages 77.4 points per game, with 5.5 three pointers made. They are a rebounding machine averaging 43.3 per game. They are very deep team with 12 players getting 8 or more minutes per game. Defensively they can get after the basketball getting 7.6 steals per game. They take pretty good care of the basketball only turning the ball over 14.8 per game.

UConn averages 81.65 points per game, with 6.9 three pointers made. They are a good rebounding team averaging 42.4 per game. They now have Ayanna back and that extra body absolutely helps the depth chart. UConn has been stepping into the passing lanes and picking off passes averaging 7.0 steals per game. UConn still turns the ball over at a pretty high clip of 16.8 turnovers per game.

Kelly does a good job of spreading the minutes out among 10-12 players...so most match-ups will probably be done by committee.

Dorka Juhasz vs Karoline Striplin - Karoline usually gets the start but she only plays about 14 minutes per game...Look for Tennessee's other big girls to get minutes. Both Jillian Hollingshead and Jasmine Powell combine for 28 minutes per game. Karoline averages 5.0 points and 3.4 rebounds per game while Jillian and Jasmine combine for 10 points and 6 rebounds per game. I like the place Dorka is at now...she is enjoying herself, blocking shots, great footwork around the basket, stepping out for a pop out jumper...even hitting a couple of threes. She is a double-digit rebounding machine at 10.5 rebounds per game. ADVANTAGE - UConn

Aaliyah Edwards vs Rickea Jackson
- This should be a really good match-up. Rickea is averaging 18.0 points and 5.6 rebounds per game while Aaliyah is averaging 17.2 points and 9.4 rebounds per game.
However, Aaliyah impacts the game in many more aspects with 2.9 assists, 1.2 steals, 1.2 blocks per game. Rickea is averaging 24.4 minutes per game so I would look for Marta Suarez to pick up some minutes here as she averages 12.4 minutes ADVANTAGE - UConn

Lou Lopez-Senachal vs Tess Darby
- Tess averages 7.3 points and 2 threes per game and contributes with 3.1 rebounds per game. Lou has been playing great averaging 16.9 points and 2.5 three pointers per game. Lou also contributes 3.1 rebounds per game. Tess averages about 23 minutes so I would look for Jasmine Franklin who plays about 13.6 minutes per game to pick up some minutes. ADVANTAGE - UConn

Aubrey Griffin vs Sam Puckett
- Sam is a solid player averaging 5.5 points and 3 rebounds per game she only averages 21 minutes per game...so 19 minutes will have to be made up by substitutions. It really shouldn't matter who the substitution is as Aubrey's athleticism will prove to be too much for them. Aubrey has been quite consistent averaging 13.6 points and 7.3 rebounds per game. Aubrey plays great defense averaging 1.7 steals per game. ADVANTAGE - UConn

Nika Muhl vs Jordan Walker
- Jordan averages 4.5 points and 3.2 assists per game and plays about 23 minutes per game so look for a substitution at the guard position. Even with that Nika's impact on the game is undeniable. Her national leading 8.8 assists per game is essential to getting her teammates the ball where they need it when they need it. She averages 6.4 points per game but she is capable of having a good scoring game in double figures with multiple threes. She is the glue to this team. ADVANTAGE - UConn

Intangibles:
I have to be cautious here because in years past there has been a significant amount of home cooking in Knoxville. With a short bench like we have I am concerned that some of our key players may find themselves in foul trouble. The crowd will be a hostile one as even though the rivalry is not what it used to be...there are enough fans who remember the good ole' days. ADVANTAGE - Tennessee

Bench:
With 7 players coming off the bench Coach Jolly has the luxury of more flexibility. I hope DeBerry can keep growing and adding to her recent performances. Given UConn's short bench... ADVANTAGE - Tennessee

Coaching:
Kelly is certainly better than Holly but, she will be no match for Geno, Chris, Jamelle and Morgan. ADVANTAGE - UConn

UConn - 85

Tennessee - 66

MOV - 19
Rickea Jackson is gonna give Edwards pure hell, if Horston plays Tenn will win IMO.

Reaction Score
Never? Except for Lou, Ines, and Ayanna the others played in the National Championship game and at South Carolina.
I don't think they played "at" South Carolina, but I'm just quibbling. Playing in the NC game is a big enough stage for anyone.

Y'all last played in SC in the "banner year" of 2020. But, hope to see you in Greenville this year - in the other bracket!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I don't think they played "at" South Carolina, but I'm just quibbling. Playing in the NC game is a big enough stage for anyone.

Y'all last played in SC in the "banner year" of 2020. But, hope to see you in Greenville this year - in the other bracket!
You’re right, the game was in the Bahamas. The game in Columbia was canceled

Playing #1 South Carolina >>>> anyone else

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I enjoy many of the threads, badass, score predictions, press conferences, game analysis, past stories, and others, but I don't enjoy the harping on when someone will play, or start, or come off the bench, or when someone should be off the IR list.
[Shrugs]. Don’t read them if you don’t enjoy them. They aren’t compulsory.

Reaction Score
[Chuckles] I see what you did there. Well played.
I'll never hide from the banner. It looks good hanging in CLA, but y'all have never had to look at it for a reminder of the year we ended your absolute dominance. Of course, we'll never even up the record - while Geno is coaching. It would take to a year for - - hey - - maybe we could. ;)

Pulling for y'all tonight. No "SEC SEC SEC" in this one.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'll never hide from the banner. It looks good hanging in CLA, but y'all have never had to look at it for a reminder of the year we ended your absolute dominance. Of course, we'll never even up the record - while Geno is coaching. It would take to a year for - - hey - - maybe we could. ;)

Pulling for y'all tonight. No "SEC SEC SEC" in this one.
We’ve got a banner or two, too ;) All in fun, @visitingcock.

4F90AE7A-19C5-4B29-94E2-7FCC720EECEB.jpeg
D10693B0-4DFB-4809-BA9B-C3A090CB6E29.jpeg

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I'm not a long time boneyarder, less than a year, long time UConn sports fan, in fact, I watched Wes Balasuknea (sic??) in the Field House my years there.

And it's been way too long since the last NC banner was hoisted, men or women. We got spoiled with mucho talent for so many years, other teams just caught up to UConn in recruiting and talent. For years, I think, the women won on finesse, teamwork, knowledge and savvy, instead of muscle and outright height. Now, the UConn women still have all those traits, and other top 5-6 teams have that now as well.

I don't know if the student athletes read The Boneyard. Some do, most don't, BUT friends do, roommates do, significant others do, and families most certainly do. Sometimes Boneyard comments border on fantasy and lack of knowledge. Especially when WE start saying "if I was Geno", "Geno Should...", "I'd start A and bring B in off the bench", "why isn't C playing more", "its been 6 weeks since the injury, D should be playing by now"...you get the idea. We're not Geno, we're not the trainers, nor are we the medical staff, and it's a good thing too. I don't see much of an upside to these "if I..." comments. It will mostly cause frustration, confusion...even a pedestal attitude...when a roommate says, "did you read Boneyard today? You were mentioned 10 times today!".

And when a recruit or a recently signed player visits campus or a game, the Boneyard is quick to lay out the welcome signs and the red carpet. UNTIL, "she's making freshman mistakes", "she's inconsistent", "I think she has a nagging high school injury".

I enjoy many of the threads, badass, score predictions, press conferences, game analysis, past stories, and others, but I don't enjoy the harping on when someone will play, or start, or come off the bench, or when someone should be off the IR list.
Then use the Ignore options, available for each thread and for each individual.

Reaction Score
The numbers say Uconn should still win. I think Horston playing should make a difference though. If Tennessee ever puts it together they could win but I don't think they have as cohesive a defense at least currently. They don't seem to be stopping teams from scoring according to the numbers.

Reaction Score

I bet you do. The NCAA did you quite the favor, no? I imagine you wouldn't be so cordial if the game was at Mohegan or Bridgeport.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom