OT: - Gallagher resigns at UHart | The Boneyard

OT: Gallagher resigns at UHart

Reaction Score
Gallagher has done a fine job there, while I can’t argue with him climbing out of the dumpster fire before it is too late - could I trust him if I was his next employer?

Tricky, but that UHart situation is embarrassing, administrators should be ashamed of themselves.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
So sad to see the state of the program, and the University of Hartford going from D-I to D-lll. As a kid I recall the excitement when they went D-I with Jack Phelan as coach. My dad, who was an alumnus, had season tickets. For their inaugural season the Hawks played all or some of their home games at the old HCC, and they had concerts following at least some of the games. Truly a sad situation there now, and I feel bad for the student athletes. I don't know why he felt the need to leave so abruptly, but I wish him the very best in the next chapter.

Reaction Score
Gal is a gutless loser for bailing on his players the day before the season starts. I feel for the kids that bought his story.

The writing was on the wall for what this program would be 2 years ago. He could have left as soon as the downgrade was announced. But instead, he though he was bigger than the University and could bully them into changing directions or bending at his whim.

D-III routinely do not send trainers for road games - the home team would support both teams. And if that was such a big deal - why get on the bus in the first place without the trainer and travel to Dartmouth? Why not make your stance then and stay home and cancel a meaningless exhibition game? Instead, send a public letter and quit on the opening day for college hoops ... whatever.

He's got too many fan boys in coaching and media circles. He wasn't a very successful coach - he was at UHa for a decade with a mediocre record. He won 1 QA bid out of America East and some people think he's Wooden. Donyell Marshall, who is potentially the worst D-I coach I have ever witnessed, finished with a 2-3 record against him. Let that sink in ...

Reaction Score
His name will get mentioned when the proverbial axe falls on some mid-major coaches this season. He'll be fine. I do feel bad for the student-athletes.

Sounds like a real cluster-f over there however, the University of Hartford released a statement Monday refuting Gallagher's claims:

"First and foremost, the safety of our students is our top priority. The University confirmed Dartmouth College would have an athletic trainer on site for our recent scrimmage, who could assist both UHart and Dartmouth student-athletes. This is an institution with highly qualified medical staff and facilities. Additionally, other members of our staff have always had a University-sponsored credit card for planned meals and expenses."

"Mr. Gallagher's resignation letter is full of inaccuracies. We are confident that these baseless claims and attacks will be disproved through the legal process. We wish Mr. Gallagher well and look forward to announcing interim leadership for our men's basketball program."

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
If Manhattan wasn't such a clusterpuck, Gallagher appears to have worked with a limited budget for years
Bet you he's Manhattan's coach by the end of the week.

Reaction Score
As a UHart alum, good for Coach Gal. The school cut funding for athletics and clubs across the board in recent years. The school is going to try to cover up anything they can. Really sad situation over there.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
What an absolute mess. I don’t know anything about UHart’s financial situation, but it sure seems like more schools are trying to move up than down.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I agree with his move...disagree with his timing. And UHart is entirely a dumpster fire....nut just the basketball/athletic programs.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
He wasn't ten toes in. What a jerk.

Reaction Score
As a UHart alum, good for Coach Gal. The school cut funding for athletics and clubs across the board in recent years. The school is going to try to cover up anything they can. Really sad situation over there.
My friend was the tennis coach there until they cut the program. School lied constantly to him about everything and never gave proper support. He said it was a dumpster fire then and would only get worse. Gallagher fought hard for his kids and program and had no choice but to leave. The school already derailed any chance of the program having success him leaving a day before their first game does nothing

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The UHart administration and AD has NOBODY to blame but themselves.
I'm not going to judge Coach Gal because all the coaches who worked hard at recruiting D1 athletes had to deal with them becoming D3 status. (I am not at all demeaning D3 sports at all - many D1 quality athletes choose D3 because they don't want to be a slave to the lack of autonomy as a student). Yeah he may be seen as abandoning the team but that is what the college did to all those athletes who chose the school under the understanding that they would be playing their sport at the highest levels.
The victims are firstly the students and secondly the coaches. Period.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
If Ime Udoka can get a job Gallagher will be just fine..
Sean Miller is a better example - there are a lot of things concerning Udoka that are not overt and there are some people in the Celtic front office who wanted to get rid of him but felt that would be difficult coming off the NBA finals appearance.

Reaction Score
Gal is a gutless loser for bailing on his players the day before the season starts. I feel for the kids that bought his story.

The writing was on the wall for what this program would be 2 years ago. He could have left as soon as the downgrade was announced. But instead, he though he was bigger than the University and could bully them into changing directions or bending at his whim.

D-III routinely do not send trainers for road games - the home team would support both teams. And if that was such a big deal - why get on the bus in the first place without the trainer and travel to Dartmouth? Why not make your stance then and stay home and cancel a meaningless exhibition game? Instead, send a public letter and quit on the opening day for college hoops ... whatever.

He's got too many fan boys in coaching and media circles. He wasn't a very successful coach - he was at UHa for a decade with a mediocre record. He won 1 QA bid out of America East and some people think he's Wooden. Donyell Marshall, who is potentially the worst D-I coach I have ever witnessed, finished with a 2-3 record against him. Let that sink in ...
In my mind both things can be true. He was treated badly by the school as was his team. But he also acted unprofessionally in leaving the day before the first game.

The problem with UHart at the D1 level is they are completely overshadowed by too many others. Nobody follows them including their own students. They could well succeed at the D3 level. Play local opponents with a chance to win. The move should have been handled better but for a school of its size and make up D3 is probably not a horrible place to be.

Reaction Score
I love him bailing right before their first game. Screw the administration like they screwed over all their athletes and students. UHart sucks. Enjoy D3 purgatory. D1 athletics was probably the only selling point for the otherwise mediocre university.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom