Gail Goestenkors ready to return to coaching | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Gail Goestenkors ready to return to coaching

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Lol, He will retire from here. Has a nice extra home in Bend Oregon. Some people are not all about money but for others like Mike White it was as much as I can haul in attitude. Surprising why some can't see that.

So Texas throwing money left and right does not make a good return on investment.
I already stated that I don't see Oregon or Oregon State's head coaches as realistic for the Texas job (should it open up). But, for those who believe Oregon has all this "Nike" money to help pay its head coaches, that has proven to be a myth. Seems like that money goes to facilities and uniforms, but not making the coaches' salaries nationally competitive.

Not gonna get into further discussions with someone who is clearly bitter that the Oregon AD would not pay former Ducks' Head Coach, Mike White, his market value, and Texas was able to hire him for a Top 5 national salary. As it turned out, the Oregon AD had to pay his new hire (someone with zero head coaching experience) more than Coach White was making; so, he got left with egg on his face, no doubt.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
That "University of Nike" comment makes me think you believe Oregon pays their head coaches Top 10 salaries nationally; their football head coach's salary ranks 56th nationally from what I saw (unless that is now outdated).

I would have thought Kelly Graves was earning more money than what I found reported in the media. Looks like he received a 6-year contract extension in 2017 that bumped his salary up to $687,500. In March 2019, Oregon bumped his salary again; not sure the exact number, but my math says maybe around $950,000. That is still not Top 5 nationally, maybe not even Top 10 nationally.

There is also a revision to the buyout Graves would owe Oregon if he chose to leave for another job. If Graves were to do so before April 6, 2021, he would owe Oregon $500,000, the same as his original contract.
No, I believe the University of Nike gets significant facilities, apparel, travel and staff support from one Mr. Philip Knight. I forget what the name of the basketball facility is...oh yeah, Matthew Knight Arena...How many different sets of uniforms does football, basketball, baseball, softball and track have? How are their practice facilities? So yes, that is why they are known as the University of Nike. It has been noted in numerous articles and expose's about the "influence" that Mr. Knight has with the school.

If Kelly were to now decide to "explore leaving" to Texas and the $1.25+ million salary that Texas would have to offer, Oregon and Philip would certainly match it. Does that clarify my stance for you?

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
No, I believe the University of Nike gets significant facilities, apparel, travel and staff support from one Mr. Philip Knight. I forget what the name of the basketball facility is...oh yeah, Matthew Knight Arena...How many different sets of uniforms does football, basketball, baseball, softball and track have? How are their practice facilities? So yes, that is why they are known as the University of Nike. It has been noted in numerous articles and expose's about the "influence" that Mr. Knight has with the school.

If Kelly were to now decide to "explore leaving" to Texas and the $1.25+ million salary that Texas would have to offer, Oregon and Philip would certainly match it. Does that clarify my stance for you?
All I am saying is that Oregon (like other PAC 12 schools) doesn't seem to pay their head coaches a Top 10 national salary, even when their programs are Top 5 nationally. So, the Knight Foundation is doing a lot for Oregon, except for compensating their coaches accordingly. Wouldn't it be great if Oregon paid their coaches their market value instead of waiting and reacting to overtures from other schools?

And, you stating that Oregon would "certainly match" any offer another school (like Texas) might offer Graves is not accurate, and cannot be proven at this time. The opposite is actually true because the current AD would not match the offer Texas offered the Oregon softball head coach two years ago. Maybe he learned a lesson from that hardball stance, and won't make the same mistake twice.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
All I am saying is that Oregon (like other PAC 12 schools) doesn't seem to pay their head coaches a Top 10 national salary, even when their programs are Top 5 nationally. So, the Knight Foundation is doing a lot for Oregon, except for compensating their coaches accordingly. Wouldn't it be great if Oregon paid their coaches their market value instead of waiting and reacting to overtures from other schools?

And, you stating that Oregon would "certainly match" any offer another school (like Texas) might offer Graves is not accurate, and cannot be proven at this time. The opposite is actually true because the current AD would not match the offer Texas offered the Oregon softball head coach two years ago. Maybe he learned a lesson from that hardball stance, and won't make the same mistake twice.
So if I may ask, where is your source for all these top 10 coaches salaries? I agree that Kelly is probably on the outside of the top 10 but his $970k is pretty good. I think the average salary in the SEC was $700k, the ACC was close to $825 but that was top heavy with MM and Jeff. The Big12 is like $700K with Sherry Coale being a complete outlier at $1.1 mil. I think you are being mislead due to the Texas AD overpaying GG a top $1.25 mil back in 2007, which I think was top 3 at the time. While Graves has nice history with Gonzaga and has had a good run at Oregon with Sabrina, he hasn't quite etched his way into the top 10, though he should be almost there and I think he will get compensated appropriately as WCBB is a focus sport for Oregon. While Softball was elite and a national contender, it raise zero revenue. I find it absurd that Oklahoma pays Patty Gasso $1 million plus per year. Similarly, Texas over paid for Mike White.
So besides White and your implying that Graves is underpaid yet you offer no proof, who else is Oregon being cheap with? Like I have said many times in the past two days, I like opinions based on facts and data. Show me how Grave salary is egregious when the data I have shows it is well above average.

Reaction Score
I already stated that I don't see Oregon or Oregon State's head coaches as realistic for the Texas job (should it open up). But, for those who believe Oregon has all this "Nike" money to help pay its head coaches, that has proven to be a myth. Seems like that money goes to facilities and uniforms, but not making the coaches' salaries nationally competitive.

Not gonna get into further discussions with someone who is clearly bitter that the Oregon AD would not pay former Ducks' Head Coach, Mike White, his market value, and Texas was able to hire him for a Top 5 national salary. As it turned out, the Oregon AD had to pay his new hire (someone with zero head coaching experience) more than Coach White was making; so, he got left with egg on his face, no doubt.
White was an arrogant puke and took Miranda English and the rest with him. When Texas wins the Big 12 Conference in Football, Mens basketball and womens basketball in the same year then we will talk. Your just bitter that you don't have a 30 billion dollar donor. So you can say retired Phil Knight does not have 30 billion of his money and not the corporations money is a proven myth. If Texas is trying to buy championships wave some money in front of Dawn, Muffet or Geno. Texas should be able to land Geno for about 5 million a year. Go see what his price is. LOL!

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
So if I may ask, where is your source for all these top 10 coaches salaries? I agree that Kelly is probably on the outside of the top 10 but his $970k is pretty good. I think the average salary in the SEC was $700k, the ACC was close to $825 but that was top heavy with MM and Jeff. The Big12 is like $700K with Sherry Coale being a complete outlier at $1.1 mil. I think you are being mislead due to the Texas AD overpaying GG a top $1.25 mil back in 2007, which I think was top 3 at the time. While Graves has nice history with Gonzaga and has had a good run at Oregon with Sabrina, he hasn't quite etched his way into the top 10, though he should be almost there and I think he will get compensated appropriately as WCBB is a focus sport for Oregon. While Softball was elite and a national contender, it raise zero revenue. I find it absurd that Oklahoma pays Patty Gasso $1 million plus per year. Similarly, Texas over paid for Mike White.
So besides White and your implying that Graves is underpaid yet you offer no proof, who else is Oregon being cheap with? Like I have said many times in the past two days, I like opinions based on facts and data. Show me how Grave salary is egregious when the data I have shows it is well above average.
You state that you like opinions based on facts and data, but you throw out an unsupported opinion that Texas overpaid for Mike White? He built the Oregon softball program from nothing into PAC 12 champions (fighting bluebloods like Arizona and UCLA along the way), and while they didn't win a national championship, they were contenders the last several seasons in OKC. In his first season at Texas, he had his team one win away from advancing to the WCWS (Top 8). In year 2, Texas won at UCLA (their only loss), and Softball America ranked Texas #1 to conclude the shortened 2020 season. Conversely, Oregon fell from Top 4 in 2018 to not even making the tourney in 2019. Texas paying White $450k has been well worth the investment; stadium is selling out; and, renovations already underway.

I already stated that Oregon's football head coach is #56 on the national pay scale; that is the biggest revenue sport of them all. That is cheap.

Most likely, an SEC or B1G team will hire Mario Cristobal away in a year or two if Oregon doesn't double his salary by then.

I've been looking for a link that accurately lists women's basketball head coaches salaries; didn't fine one. But, from what I've read over the years, the following programs are paying their head coaches more than $1 million annually: UConn, Baylor, South Carolina, Louisville, Notre Dame, Stanford, Miss. State, Maryland, and Oklahoma. Schools like Ohio State, Kentucky and Syracuse probably are paying slightly below $1 million a year.

Last edited:

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
White was an arrogant puke and took Miranda English and the rest with him. When Texas wins the Big 12 Conference in Football, Mens basketball and womens basketball in the same year then we will talk. Your just bitter that you don't have a 30 billion dollar donor. So you can say retired Phil Knight does not have 30 billion of his money and not the corporations money is a proven myth. If Texas is trying to buy championships wave some money in front of Dawn, Muffet or Geno. Texas should be able to land Geno for about 5 million a year. Go see what his price is. LOL!

giphy.gif

Reaction Score

He still thinks Texas could have a bidding war with Phils net worth of 30 billion. Btw, The softball coach was on probation for Bobby White anger issues. A bad apple.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Winning the Big 12 in Basketball is a heck of a lot harder than winning the Pac 12. Pac 12 football??? Meh as well.

kermit.jpg

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Winning the Big 12 in Basketball is a heck of a lot harder than winning the Pac 12. Pac 12 football??? Meh as well.

View attachment 52360

I really want to protest this...but I can't. :oops:

edit:
...but softball, women's bball and women's volleyball is a buzzsaw in the Pac 12 :rolleyes:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I really want to protest this...but I can't. :oops:

edit:
...but softball, women's bball and women's volleyball is a buzzsaw in the Pac 12 :rolleyes:

baseball is strong

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom