Gaffney took a big step forward tonight | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Gaffney took a big step forward tonight

Reaction Score
He looked pretty good to me. He could shoot. He's a good natural passer with nice vision. He can finish going to the basket. He's patient in half court sets. He' just struggling with his handle and confidence being the main ball handler/playing point. Pretty common for a freshman that isn't all world out of the shoot and has had limited playing time. When there is pressure on the ball he wants it out of his hands. Maybe it's confidence. Maybe it's that he just needs to develop that skill. Maybe he ends up being a real good combo guard that could play point in spurts and then move to the 2 when the point is in. Time will tell. Overall I really like him. He had some rough moments later in the game but as a whole this was pne of his best games. I don't get the sentiment that he played poorly. I though this outing was somewhat encouraging. He made some some mistakes, but have you seen our guards? They all do. We all saw Vital play point a few games ago when Gilbert was in foul trouble. Gaffney will struggle at times spelling Gilbert but get used to it cuz he's the next best and perhaps only backup opti9n to AG.

Reaction Score
Gaffney didn’t play point in AAU really. Kinda was just allowed to go score. Not sure about high school. He’s learning but he needs time.

Of our PG recruits last year he had the best assist numbets in AAU. Not sure the exact numbers just that @UConnStats wrote about it, I believe

Reaction Score
I like Gaff but I see him as a back up for at least his first two seasons here maybe 3. I think he'll eventually become a solid player for us but its going to take time with him.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
We all know his story. He's been here 4 years, he shouldn't be a negative on offense against the Peacocks.
No offense, but I despise this excuse. He was a McDonalds AA, he shouldn’t be making many of the errors he’s making this year. Last year? Sure. Not this year. He should be holding himself to a much higher standard.
I wasn’t making an excuse. A fact is a fact. The kid had only one full year of college ball under his belt entering this season. The senior statement by John is an oversimplification. It does not consider experience.

I would love to know how many minutes Al ran point last season. It seems Hurley had Jalen run point more than Al.

I believe Al is more talented than what he’s shown. I can’t be sure what the reason is behind a performance that doesn’t meet my expectation. By all accounts Al is a great kid who works hard. I don’t believe he’s set low standards.

I’ve watched enough sports to know players are human and don’t follow scripts. Since I can’t control them I’ll have to work on how I react to disappointment.

UKemba15

Some flies are too awesome for the wall.
Reaction Score
I like Gaff but I see him as a back up for at least his first two seasons here maybe 3. I think he'll eventually become a solid player for us but its going to take time with him.

I think we’ll see him break out by the end of this season. His goofs are fixable. Seems like a smart kid who knows basketball well, with a high motor and real desire to get better. He has a hard time keeping his composure when there’s pressure, and he might dwell on a recent bad play for too long which affects his decision making on subsequent sets. Those are things that a coach (and good senior leadership from Al) can resolve; he has a lot going for him - IQ, athleticism, vision - he just needs to settle into his role on the team and stop second guessing himself. I was really high on Gaffney before the season (his HS and AAU highlights occupied more of my time than I care to admit), and I still see him being an extremely important part of our offensive strategy this year as well as in the future. His defense and anticipation are certainly things to work on but plenty of freshmen deal with these growing pains, and with even more talent coming into the program soon I think we’ll view him as the most improved player on this team by March.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
10 points 5 assists 4 TO in 20 minutes. An important first step.
Whatever good anyone saw about anything that happened must be tempered by understanding the competition is expected to finish 9th in the MAC.

Not one UConn player was able to dominate. Somebody should have been unstoppable.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Gaffney clearly isn't ready, neither is Gilbert...it's a problem.

Gilbert played really well the few games leading up to Indiana but the last two are unacceptable from a senior. He came out totally unfocused. He is our best perimeter defender he just has to figure it out on O for us to have a good season.
Gaffney looks good. You are right. He isn't 100%. But he is giving a nice preview of things to come. I wouldn't mind he take minutes away from.......well lets leave it at that.

Reaction Score
26 turnovers is obviously disappointing but I think that’s what happens when you’re trying to give freshmen and role players a chance to assert themselves at this level. Gaffney showed good and bad, Bouk could have got a little more involved, but letting these guys work through it vs St. Pete’s as opposed to during conference play will be good for us. No doubt we need to do a better job protecting the ball though.

Reaction Score
A senior in years but only second year of college play.

Stop the BS already. The kid will be 23 before the start of next season and he did play in 9 games those first two years.

Reaction Score
Though he had 4 turnovers I thought Gaff showed a lot of improvement and more confidence. He needs to recognize the trap and not just pick up his dribble. Jalen and Bouk have a nice chemistry and I expect some exciting plays from them as he season progresses. St Peter’s played a pretty physical in your face game that exposed our ball handling deficiencies. I expect opponents to pressure our guards until they prove they won’t turn it over.

Reaction Score
Gilbert seems to lack basketball sense. He continually dribbles into crowds and loses the ball. He does not seem to be a very good shooter and he should be hittng a higher percentage of his free throws. I do like his defense though. Maybe he's our next Taliek Brown and will break out soon.
I thought Gaffney was pretty solid and is learning. These two are the keys to our success this year. We have lots of other pieces.

Reaction Score
With Gaffney you can't just evaluate his play. Almost everything he does is dependent on his chemistry with his teammates. The only player he seems to have a connection to is Bouk. A PG has to learn the strengths and weakness of everyone on the squad. He needs to learn where (and when) they want the ball. And how he can play off those tendencies. As that happens we will see improvement.

Of course he still has to improve his handle, know when to go slow or fast and read what the coach wants. He has a long way to go, so does the entire team.

Reactions: caw

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Gaffney didn’t play point in AAU really. Kinda was just allowed to go score. Not sure about high school. He’s learning but he needs time.

Gotta get that handle up. But yeah, people need to chill on him. Most freshman PGs aren't that great to begin with. When you add to that his transition from scoring guard to regular PG, it's gonna take a while. I'll be interested to see what we have the second half of next season.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
With Gaffney you can't just evaluate his play. Almost everything he does is dependent on his chemistry with his teammates. The only player he seems to have a connection to is Bouk. A PG has to learn the strengths and weakness of everyone on the squad. He needs to learn where (and when) they want the ball. And how he can play off those tendencies. As that happens we will see improvement.

Of course he still has to improve his handle, know when to go slow or fast and read what the coach wants. He has a long way to go, so does the entire team.
He has some chemistry with Akok too.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
He has some chemistry with Akok too.
if you watch closely, you'll see a 'buds on a road trip' dynamic building when 5 from carlton, akok, wilson, gaffney, bouknight, and adams are together. lotsa smiles from that posse. not to harsh on anyone not mentioned, it just is.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Stop the BS already. The kid will be 23 before the start of next season and he did play in 9 games those first two years.
You’re reaction proves my point in two ways.

Age does not account for optimum performance.

Why does stating something that is a fact and not meant as a defense elicit a negative reaction in you?

Occasionally I’m surprised by a poster’s response or who responds. For example I wasn’t expecting @Doctor Hoop’s reaction. I wasn’t shocked. But he doesn’t frequently post his upset in that manner.

On the other hand I would have been disappointed had you not responded in the manner you did. In a universe of uncertainty I derive comfort in the consistency of people not being able to overcome their bad habits. For CV it’s a turnover or taking a shot he shouldn’t. For you it’s getting upset about things you can’t control and being angry if you perceive someone is defending someone or something you dislike. Just for clarity this paragraph is sarcasm.

Impress me. Be the change you insist from others. Control your emotions. See if you can avoid being upset by bad play. Disassociate emotional reaction from an event. Most importantly recognize that expression of anger and wanting payback is different than setting standards. Challenge yourself the way you challenge Alterique or CV.

Not many of us can make this type of adjustment. And yet we insist that players in stressful conditions react differently.

Believe it or not I have to challenge myself everyday to avoid the pitfalls I’m recommending you avoid. I’m not above it. Very few people who have not shut down their emotions can avoid this struggle. However the situation is hopeless if we don’t perceive what we do is negative. As I’m fond of saying in this forum we can see the faults in others but are unable to see them in ourselves.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
if you watch closely, you'll see a 'buds on a road trip' dynamic building when 5 from carlton, akok, wilson, gaffney, bouknight, and adams are together. lotsa smiles from that posse. not to harsh on anyone not mentioned, it just is.

I noticed that as well. Instead of wholesale substitution, Carlton and Akok stayed in and chemistry seemed good.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
There are no positives to take away from playing scrubs like st.p, only negatives. Anything that looked bad against this team will look worse versus a better team. Let's put things in context.

Reaction Score
I wasn’t making an excuse. A fact is a fact. The kid had only one full year of college ball under his belt entering this season. The senior statement by John is an oversimplification. It does not consider experience.

I would love to know how many minutes Al ran point last season. It seems Hurley had Jalen run point more than Al.

I believe Al is more talented than what he’s shown. I can’t be sure what the reason is behind a performance that doesn’t meet my expectation. By all accounts Al is a great kid who works hard. I don’t believe he’s set low standards.

I’ve watched enough sports to know players are human and don’t follow scripts. Since I can’t control them I’ll have to work on how I react to disappointment.
Meditation is very helpful. "Serenity now, insanity later"!

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Meditation is very helpful. "Serenity now, insanity later"!
Marriage for 45 years is a better strategy. Marriage doesn't survive if you can't figure out ways to exist with someone over that length of time barring total control over someone. I give my wife credit for still trying to fix me after all these years. One one thousand, two one thousand dot dot dot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom