Gaffney = Good | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Gaffney = Good

Reaction Score
Gaffney seemed to have his offense really click 12 games into his sophomore year.
If we read that statement before the season started I think we would be good with that going into conference play . It sucks that 12 games into his sophomore year happened in February.
He's been playing well for a few games. This was the first time he looked to really shoulder the load.

Reaction Score
And that is the biggest difference between Gaff and Cole. With Gaff it's either confidence or hesitation. But if he's chooses to get to the rim, he can get separation and he can draw contact.

With Cole, he's just limited by being short, slow, short arms and not a great jumper.

Yep. And it was discussed ad nauseam in the offseason. Historically, low-major guys who transfer up to high-majors aren't impact players. There is virtually no precedent for it yet many fans around here thought he'd easily be our second-best player and average over 15 PPG on good efficency. Anyone who did their homework knew that wasn't going to be the case. Gaff is the more talented and more athletic player by a wide margin, he just needs to put it all together.

Reaction Score
Yep. And it was discussed ad nauseam in the offseason. Historically, low-major guys who transfer up to high-majors aren't impact players. There is virtually no precedent for it yet many fans around here thought he'd easily be our second-best player and average over 15 PPG on good efficency. Anyone who did their homework knew that wasn't going to be the case. Gaff is the more talented and more athletic player by a wide margin, he just needs to put it all together.
I think it was really only that one poster who posted all the time saying RJ was going to average like 16 and 8 which is insane.

Reaction Score
He drives with EASE. Where was that before??? He drives as good as Bouk. Contact everytime. Good FT shooter.
Some of it was the Seton Hall "defense". Their perimeter D is like ours was 2 years ago. Just letting guys turn the corner at will. And all their bigs were dropping on PnRs and giving him space to get started.

But credit Gaff. He got fouled on most of his drives, which is great. And a couple circus layups, which he's shown before. He has a chance to be a really high level finisher for his size.

Reaction Score
Some of it was the Seton Hall "defense". Their perimeter D is like ours was 2 years ago. Just letting guys turn the corner at will. And all their bigs were dropping on PnRs and giving him space to get started.

But credit Gaff. He got fouled on most of his drives, which is great. And a couple circus layups, which he's shown before. He has a chance to be a really high level finisher for his size.

Right. Playing drop coverage like an NBA team. A poster in another thread asked why we didn't bring Seton Hall's mammoth center in more PnRs to open things up...well, because it wouldn't have opened things up because Willard would have kept him plopped in the paint.

Reaction Score
No disrespect to RJ, he's a good player, but at this stage of the season, I think I prefer Gaffney.

Has more on-ball poise and patience with letting plays develop. More athletic too and better when getting downhill and past his defender.

Hoping Gaffney earns the starting PG spot by the end of the season. Right now it's still RJ's.

Reaction Score
Although he didn't play much today, Carlton has been pretty decent this year. That said, I think Sanogo, with all of his talent, knows how to play with guards much better than JC ever had during his time in Storrs. Sanogo sets a decent pick and gives the guard a chance to penetrate without collapsing the paint and bringing his defender in for easy help on a drive.
Yes, the other big was there, but Gaffney showed as most good guards do, if you have space they can find ways to get shots off.

Would like to have seen a healthy Akok today. I think he would have been a better matchup on Mamu for some periods. Martin played tough, but he was outsized.

Reaction Score
Aggressive Gaffney = Good Player

Passive Gaffney = Div II Player
Exactly. When he dribbles and proves and does nothing he sucks and makes the team looks so passive. When he take it to the rim or steps into his shot with confidence, he’s looking good and has so much more length than Cole to get fouled or finish

Reaction Score
Gaffney's been trending upward and hopefully today was his breakout game. He definitely deserves a shot to start over Cole.

I wasn't sure what to expect from Jackson with the long lay off but he was awesome. Besides the athleticism his vision, passing and playmaking abilities are really evident. Even on plays that he didn't really do anything spectacular you can just see how well he sees the court.

Disappointed with the loss but more excited for the rest of the season after some of the individual performances today.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
That's great that you said it from day one. The problem is, over the course of the season, it hasn't been true. Gaffney was outstanding on offense today, no question. I hope we see more of that and I'm sure Hurley will give him a chance. But to pretend he should have been playing more all along when he's been way below par is bizarre.
You’re bizarre. It’s been obvious from day one that Cole wasn’t exactly burning up the Big East. Nor capable it seems. What was bizarre was why Danny gave him such a long leash. It’s finally about time we let Gaffney get some run because this Cole experience/experiment isn’t working.

Reaction Score
I see Gafney more as a two. I felt when he was at point, it was reminiscent of the KO offense. He would dribble at the top of the key, holding the ball until 5 sec left on the clock. The offense was way to stagnant and he took way to long to get others involved. His strength is attacking the rim. I’d prefer to see him on the court with Cole, not running the offense with Cole on the bench.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I like his game A LOT. This is around the time he really kicked it into gear last year so it’ll be interesting to see. His defense isn’t nearly as good as Cole but the offense runs so much better through him in and he is a much better finisher when we need a bailout.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
hey Coachn! member waaaay back when, when our 'gaffney is a playa' fan club couldn't muster up enuf folks to have a poker game? we were instead swamped with the nba expectations for a guy who, 4 years later, still can't pass, rebound, handle, or block shots. at least now, that nonsense has simmered down to the mildly insane complaints that 'we have to get him open. we have to run more stuff for him. we have to continually make excuses for his inability to pass, rebound, handle, or block shots.' the man couldn't do these before his unfortunate injury, sooooooooo, why would anyone think that he can do those now?
on the udder hand, our man drives left, our man drives right. our man drains 3's, our man sticks his nose into the board battle. our man can iso and score. our man doesn't turn it over. our man makes every free throw. our man is only into his second season. barely. my fav jmoney play today was his flying leftside direct attack into their big stiff, then -whoop!- rightside layin. the thing with him and his growing ability is that any honest observer will admit 'he can do that again and again-it ain't luck, it's just the first time that we're seeing it.' sweeeeet.
to be fair, he made a few too many mistakes on d today by being too aggressive trying for steals, and triggering team d misalignment which led to some buckets. coach dan gonna loudly, and regularly, point this out at film session.
hey crankies! i called the jax dunk in pregame haiku! sit on it, alla youse clueless complainers.
coach dan building a monster of a franchise. 'nuff said.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Prior to today we never saw the athleticism he showed in high school. Today his first step looked quicker, his upper body looks stronger too. I’ve always liked his composure, was just concerned about his athleticism. Don’t know if that ankle injury persisted from last year and it held him back, but physically he was an entirely different guy today.

Reaction Score
You’re bizarre. It’s been obvious from day one that Cole wasn’t exactly burning up the Big East. Nor capable it seems. What was bizarre was why Danny gave him such a long leash. It’s finally about time we let Gaffney get some run because this Cole experience/experiment isn’t working.

He’s bizarre? He’s right this was his first game he was really good on any end at all. He “got some run” plenty of it and proved little until today. He was a bright spot on offense being more aggressive. Cole wasn’t awful today either so let’s see how it plays out. Think we need to see more than one game before the “I told ya so” stuff. And please be sure you add he was killed on the other end in the last 2-3 minutes of crunch time and defense does count.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
He’s bizarre? He’s right this was his first game he was really good on any end at all. He “got some run” plenty of it and proved little until today. He was a bright spot on offense being more aggressive. Cole wasn’t awful today either so let’s see how it plays out. Think we need to see more than one game before the “I told ya so” stuff. And please be sure you add he was killed on the other end in the last 2-3 minutes of crunch time and defense does count.
alterique gilbert couldn't even carry jmoney's jock, much less his future. i put jmoneys defensive gaffs in my post as a charitable gesture to those misguided observers who, quite frankly, are running out of things to hate on.
now, back to our regularly scheduled programming, 'Why Everrone Needs to Find More Excuses For Tyler Not Being All World.' this weeks episode, 'It's Everyone Else's Fault.' next weeks? '7 treys in the game! Number One Pick!'
jmoney- if you don't get it yet, you will. garuntee.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
alterique gilbert couldn't even carry jmoney's jock, much less his future. i put jmoneys defensive gaffs in my post as a charitable gesture to those misguided observers who, quite frankly, are running out of things to hate on.
now, back to our regularly scheduled programming, 'Why Everrone Needs to Find More Excuses For Tyler Not Being All World.' this weeks episode, 'It's Everyone Else's Fault.' next weeks? '7 treys in the game! Number One Pick!'

Ok but admittedly I don’t know all you speak of here. But keep going, it’s interesting.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Ok but admittedly I don’t know all you speak of here. But keep going, it’s interesting.
start with his free throw ability. add his ability to drive, thus often resulting in his getting free throws. and when he shoots them? money. pretty cool. important too. pull up a chair, chillax a bit, and just enjoy the symphony of ball movement coming when he, james, and aj are on the floor together.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
start with his free throw ability. add his ability to drive, thus often resulting in his getting free throws. and when he shoots them? money. pretty cool. important too. pull up a chair, chillax a bit, and just enjoy the symphony of ball movement coming when he, james, and aj are on the floor together.

Cliffy I can imagine (the way he finally played yesterday) he, AJ and Bouk out there on offense. He had 2 assists yesterday so lets leave the symphony of ball movement to the side for now. He did get to the basket very well and most importantly he makes his FTs after getting fouled. Seems like he's feeling better shooting it from range I like all that I see in this game for the offensive end on Gaff. I do realize you made sure you pointed at me also for Gilbert for whatever reason so let me point back at you since you seem to only like offense. Gaff can't hold AG's jock on that end where AG was a difference maker and where Gaff was too, in a bad way. He needs to get much better on that end to make himself the player everyone has been insisting he will be. AJ on the other hand can play on that end and will only get better, more impactful on D as time goes on.

But again, I certainly liked what I saw yesterday on O, let's see it some more they can improve on scoring with that kind of play. Now keep people in the 60's again is next.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
And that is the biggest difference between Gaff and Cole. With Gaff it's either confidence or hesitation. But if he's chooses to get to the rim, he can get separation and he can draw contact.

With Cole, he's just limited by being short, slow, short arms and not a great jumper.
I also think a big difference is ball handling ability. Gaff has a much higher ceiling due to his size and athleticism but his handle is still shaky against pressure, so much so that he has trouble facilitating the offensive set in a timely manner. When he sees pressure he’s immediately taking a step back and looking to get rid of it with a pass that doesn’t get us closer to a scoring opportunity.

If he can improve his handle that would open up the works for him in a lot of ways.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom