Gaffney Going Forward | The Boneyard

Gaffney Going Forward

Reaction Score
It looks and sounds like Gaffney will continue to see increased playing time. How often he runs the point will likely depend heavily on how well he is handling the ball against good pressure, which so far only Gilbert has shown the ability to do. Regardless, we’ll be seeing plenty of Gaffney from here on out.

The time has come for Gaffney to stop being shy offensively. IMO with Polley hurt, Gaffney has one of (if not the) best looking jumpers on the team. I hope he starts to take more 3PA. We need to space the floor and find a way to score somewhat efficiently. Adams shoots a knuckle ball, Bouknight until last game has been ice cold, Akok shoots 28%, and Vital is down to 30% this year. Gaffney 3PA appear to be a better bet than many of our current FGA.

There is now an intersection between Gaffney’s development for the future and the team’s current production. Hopefully we see Gaffney look to score/shoot more for the remainder of the season.

Reaction Score
I hope to see a little bit more of lateral quickness in his game. Other than that I've been very happy with everything I've seen from him so far. He seems to still panic a bit when bringing the ball over half court with traps or pressure, but he's getting better there too.

Reaction Score
You can tell Gaffney's Bball IQ is very high with how poised he is on the ball. He lets the game come to him, whereas AG tries to force the issue more times than not. I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes one of the better 4th year PGs in the country when its all said and done.

I'm very excited for our guard rotation next year.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
He was billed as a shooter with range coming out of high school so yes, let’s see him look for his shot more.

You could tell early in the season how timid he was - as if he couldn’t wait to get the ball out of his hands - but he’s looked a little more confident out there. Sometimes all it takes is one good play to get that going.

Reaction Score
He was billed as a shooter with range coming out of high school so yes, let’s see him look for his shot more.

You could tell early in the season how timid he was - as if he couldn’t wait to get the ball out of his hands - but he’s looked a little more confident out there. Sometimes all it takes is one good play to get that going.
He still seemed timid Sunday at times. His last 3 was only a garbage time look, and I got a chuckle out of Vital just refusing to let Gaffney defer to him once he crossed half court on back to back possessions.

Reaction Score
He has to be tighter with the ball but other than that I want to see him out there. We’re not making the post season so let the kids play. I hope Hurley does that.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
He's had trouble running the half court offense. Too much dribble and a lack of motion. I too would like to see more of him, but he needs to play confidently and within himself.

Reaction Score
A little OT but in the spirit of finding efficient shot attempts, Adams is shooting 76.4% at the rim, however he is only taking 29% of his FGA there. With higher volume that 76.4% will drop, but he’s proven to be reliable around the rim so I’d like to see him drive/cut more often.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
A little OT but in the spirit of finding efficient shot attempts, Adams is shooting 76.4% at the rim, however he is only taking 29% of his FGA there. With higher volume that 76.4% will drop, but he’s proven to be reliable around the rim so I’d like to see him drive/cut more often.
He’s the one guy who should attack. Good FT shooter and very strong and athletic. It seems like he only goes once a game or so. Interesting to see the stats on it.

Reaction Score
He’s the one guy who should attack. Good FT shooter and very strong and athletic. It seems like he only goes once a game or so. Interesting to see the stats on it.
Bouknight and Akok have very good numbers at the rim too, however Akok opts for the fall away jumper more often than not and that’s a very low percentage look. If you were to exclude lobs I don’t believe his number would look good at all, but I haven’t actually done that exclusion.

Reaction Score
He's had trouble running the half court offense. Too much dribble and a lack of motion. I too would like to see more of him, but he needs to play confidently and within himself.
This isn't a dig at you, or Gaffney, but you do realize that has pretty much been the premise of the offense for the last 5 years right? Lack of motion and running the weave between the division line and the 3-point line has been a staple.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Gaffney should look at the rest of this season as an audition for the starting point guard spot. Dan won't be able to hand it over easily to Cole if Gaffney looks better and better as the season progresses. This is his chance to get a leg up on Cole moving forward.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
This isn't a dig at you, or Gaffney, but you do realize that has pretty much been the premise of the offense for the last 5 years right? Lack of motion and running the weave between the division line and the 3-point line has been a staple.
I understand that and no dig taken. I meant it in a relative term in that the offense slowed even further, often with him aimlessly dribbling. Didn't notice it last game, so maybe it's just a learning curve and he's getting past it.

pj

Reaction Score
Gaffney should look at the rest of this season as an audition for the starting point guard spot. Dan won't be able to hand it over easily to Cole if Gaffney looks better and better as the season progresses. This is his chance to get a leg up on Cole moving forward.

Gaffney has a chance to be the defensive point guard, Cole the offensive guy, they can play match ups. They can also play alongside each other similar to Khalid and Ricky. I don't think minutes are going to be scarce for either player.

Reaction Score
Gaffney has a chance to be the defensive point guard, Cole the offensive guy, they can play match ups. They can also play alongside each other similar to Khalid and Ricky. I don't think minutes are going to be scarce for either player.

I'm thinking Gaffney gains confidence and is an offensive guard. He has a wonderful stroke, the best of the guards we have now. Just needs to enable himself to get open looks or occasionally be the off guard. His defense hasn't been all that good although better last game. Not sure if it was due to getting his quickness back or Tulsa's guards weren't as good as others we've faced. Will see more of him for sure hoping he brings both to the floor every game.

Reaction Score
Last game in crunch time Gafney had one man to beat (easy for him) to get to the rim and failed to be aggressive to help the team. Tonite Jalen please let it all hang out and go for it. You can do it Jalen and the team needs you . Good looking outside shot . Don't be afraid to take it. Your at least as good as anyone else. Still keep your great play making going.

Reaction Score

Gaffney is a terrible defender right now. His passing and shooting are his best attributes.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Gaffney is a terrible defender right now. His passing and shooting are his best attributes.

I don't think it's that he can't defend, it's just that slightly passive style. There is a reason that in a tightly called foul fest in which he played a lot, he had zero fouls (I think) in regulation.

Reaction Score

yet during the Tulsa comeback, he played pretty smart pressure D & was a part of a key textbook press trap with Bouk and didn’t foul the offensive player-actually drew an offensive foul. So I wouldn’t call him terrible...

you guys with your dramabomb adjectives to describe things are too much sometimes...

carry on & go huskies!!!

Reaction Score
yet during the Tulsa comeback, he played pretty smart pressure D & was a part of a key textbook press trap with Bouk and didn’t foul the offensive player-actually drew an offensive foul. So I wouldn’t call him terrible...

you guys with your dramabomb adjectives to describe things are too much sometimes...

carry on & go huskies!!!

He's been a pretty terrible defender for all but 8 minutes of this season. I was responding to someone who compared him to Ricky. Which is utterly absurd.

I suspect he'll become serviceable as an upperclassmen--maybe even pretty good. But he isn't a naturally talented defender whatsoever. Too timid

Reaction Score
He's been a pretty terrible defender for all but 8 minutes of this season. I was responding to someone who compared him to Ricky. Which is utterly absurd.

gotcha...on that last point, we can definitely agree...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I suspect he'll become serviceable as an upperclassmen--maybe even pretty good. But he isn't a naturally talented defender whatsoever. Too timid

The UConn PG he most reminds me of is Tate George. High dribble, decent passer, decent shooter, pretty careful with the ball, good game manager, can get to the rim and use his height. But he's not yet in the Tate George class defensively.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom