Gaffney Breakout Season | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Gaffney Breakout Season

Reaction Score
Starting is overrated. What does our perimeter look like in a tie ball game with two minutes to go?

The Cole, Gaffney, Bouknight perimeter seems to most closely resemble the traditional UCONN championship formula.
That's my feeling, can talk about how we only have 2 PGs but the last 5 minutes of a game you want your best players (Bouknight and Cole) and the guy who can run the offense under pressure (Gaffney) out there

Reaction Score
That's my feeling, can talk about how we only have 2 PGs but the last 5 minutes of a game you want your best players (Bouknight and Cole) and the guy who can run the offense under pressure (Gaffney) out there
It also helps to be able to make FTs in crunch time.. ala 2014 Championship team.. Steve Nash drill

Reaction Score
I wish this thread could've been fun, instead of just dumping on Rothstien. His tweet was a good excuse to talk about a promising player.

Everyone likes Rothstein, but most also appreciate context when reading hype, even when it's about one of our own players.
As for JG, it's was great to see his progression from "deer in the headlights" early on to a player in control and confident in the last ten games of the season.

Reaction Score
Everyone likes Rothstein, but most also appreciate context when reading hype, even when it's about one of our own players.
That's exactly my perspective. It's nice to read about and discuss but I don't place much stock in Rothstein's opinion. But that doesn't mean Gaffney won't take that next leap just because Rothstein said he will. See what I'm saying?

Reaction Score
Here's my 10/8/2020 prediction for Gaff

27 mpg
8.5 ppg
4.8 apg
2.4 rpg
1.0 steals per game
43% F
35% 3pt
79% FT

This seems right to me. IF Gaffney is trying to score 20 a game, our team is not doing that well. We were at our best when he had the ball in his hands directing the offense, allowing other guys to flourish. He has a knack for understanding the pace and flow of the game that makes everyone else better.

Reaction Score
Gaffney transformed this team in the 2nd half last year. The straw that stirs the drink, would love to see him, Cole, and Bouk on the court together for stretches.

People here just want to hand everything to Cole, Gaffney was just as much a part of our stretch as Bouk down the stretch.

Reaction Score
The reason why we are unsure how much playing time Gaffney will get is not because of how good he will be, it is because of how good Cole may be. I might be wrong but I dont recall a point regard transfer we brought in like Cole that could steal the incumbent sophomore's playing time. This is an awesome thing. Our sophomore pg who earned the right to start this year just may be the second best pg on the team. Shucks, that is a problem I like to have.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
The reason why we are unsure how much playing time Gaffney will get is not because of how good he will be, it is because of how good Cole may be. I might be wrong but I dont recall a point regard transfer we brought in like Cole that could steal the incumbent sophomore's playing time. This is an awesome thing. Our sophomore pg who earned the right to start this year just may be the second best pg on the team. Shucks, that is a problem I like to have.
ahem. first best point guard. and, since we lost big time and reliable rebounder cv, jalen's points might be a function of what kind of rebounding we reliably bring to each game. if we become board beasts, i could see jmoney hoisting a few extra shots, pumping up his ppg. of course, if that happens, it'll cost him some assists. i'd trade a dime for a dunk every time.

C

Chief00

Gaffney was injuried early his Freshman year. When he got in the rotation later in the season the team went on a run. Chief agrees with Rothstein in this instance.
The starting point for a Championship team is you don’t beat yourself. Gaffney checks that box and more.

Reaction Score
Gaffney was injuried early his Freshman year. When he got in the rotation later in the season the team went on a run. Chief agrees with Rothstein in this instance.
The starting point for a Championship team is you don’t beat yourself. Gaffney checks that box and more.
First half of last year you could see that JG didn't have the speed and burst that he was advertised to have because of his injury.. As he gained confidence and lower body strength the second half of the year.. You could see the game slowing down for him.. Has clearly been working on gaining strength and weight this offseason.. RJ makes him better.. He makes RJ better.. We will have a strong PG presence for 40 minutes every game this year.. Having them both on the floor for stretches could make our Small Ball lineups pretty explosive.. All good..

Reaction Score
How many over hyped transfers have we heard of. Remember the “Ferrari” in the garage? Purvis. What about Ed Nelson?

Also how many lower mid-major dominate players transfer and turn out to be just serviceable? The statistics are substantially not in Cole’s favor. I hope they are wrong.

Gaffney is a solid guard who with Whaley were huge in getting us rolling last season. But so many are eager to put RJ ahead of him. It’s like a new toy you can’t wait to play with but then realize it’s not really any better than your old toy that’s reliable.

Don’t get me wrong I hope Cole is the second coming of KEA. But nobody has seen him in day in day out Big time college basketball. Yes he had some nice games against good teams. But a lot of it was by volume. Also once major teams plan and scout him how will he make out?

Lets hope for the best. But stop sleeping on Gaffney and putting a crown on Cole.

Reaction Score
Rothstein aside im excited to see what Gaffney does not only this season but over his next 3 years. I think he has the potential to go down as one of the winningest PGs in the programs history.
One of the winningest PGs in our programs history? He has lots of competition here. Tate, Smitty, KO, Doron, Khalid, Taliek, Marcus, AJ, Kemba, Shabazz, Whelton.

Reaction Score
One of the winningest PGs in our programs history? He has lots of competition here. Tate, Smitty, KO, Doron, Khalid, Taliek, Marcus, AJ, Kemba, Shabazz, Whelton.
Yup. If he stays 4 years he could have 80+ wins under his belt.

Reaction Score
He wasn't a lottery pick and played on some bad teams so he must be bad. They do the same thing to Adams.
He wasn't a lottery pick and played on some bad teams so he must be bad. They do the same thing to Adams.

purvis, adams, throw in dham...great players that could barely make the tournament ....who do we blame?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'll never understand people acting like Purvis wasn't good

He was definitely in top two all-time UConn transfers for stepping on sidelines and baselines. Hot Rod and Johnny Time are forever two peas in a pod.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom