Gabby's 3 point shooting | The Boneyard

Gabby's 3 point shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
Read a few posts about Gabby and her "lack of a 3 point shot." But I just watched first night and not only did Gabby beat Kia Nurse on a 3 pointer (surprised me too) but her team was quick enough to win the skills competition.

Just sayin :p

Will we see more of that this season?

Reaction Score
Let's remember how incredibly improved Gabby was last year on her foul shooting and intermediate jumper. She has amazing athletic talent, and it wouldn't be surprising if she graduates in two years as a genuine 2 guard with WNBA prospects (though she will be a 3 or 4 at UConn).

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Let's remember how incredibly improved Gabby was last year on her foul shooting and intermediate jumper. She has amazing athletic talent, and it wouldn't be surprising if she graduates in two years as a genuine 2 guard with WNBA prospects (though she will be a 3 or 4 at UConn).
They won't need her to be a 3 or 4 next season, not with Samuelson, Collier, Stevens, Batouly, and Irwin.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Guards that are comfy taking their defenders inside are real useful in the W.

Reaction Score

She apparently successfully worked hard and improved areas where she was so-so as a freshman. Looking back at her sophomore year with the coaches, she knows where to next improve to help herself and the team. She obviously has the ability.

This year's focus would have included 3s and? maybe handle/passing. It's likely she's made improvements again. If that proves true, it's great!

Gabby has such up side potential, and is always funnn to watch:)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Read a few posts about Gabby and her "lack of a 3 point shot." But I just watched first night and not only did Gabby beat Kia Nurse on a 3 pointer (surprised me too) but her team was quick enough to win the skills competition.

Just sayin :p Will we see more of that this season?

I engaged in a brief philosophical debate with a poster about this very thing. My take was that just because Gabby didn't shoot 3's her freshman & sophomore years, does not mean she can't. She was recruited as a guard. She's listed as a guard on this year's roster.

Guards can shoot 3's. It means she did not have the green light to do so. I'm not surprised at Gabby's shooting prowess. Not at all. I read somewhere the last couple of days that it's possible that Gabby may be asked to play all 5 positions at some point during a game, or some point during the season.

What other player on the roster could possibly be asked to do that? If Gabby can stay out of foul trouble, she's going to be very productive and a serious concern for many of UConn's opponents this season. I can realistically see 14/8 most nights, assuming she starts. I look for Geno to give Gabby more reign this season.

Last edited:

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score

Just sayin :p

Will we see more of that this season?
She does not need a 3 point shot! With her great athletic ability, she should never be that far from the basket. She can dominate in the paint; we saw some of that on Friday night.

Reaction Score
They won't need her to be a 3 or 4 next season, not with Samuelson, Collier, Stevens, Batouly, and Irwin.

Really interesting point, donald. Geno, as we all know, converted Gabby to forward because he had enough guards her freshman year and he needed some more help inside. He also wanted to take advantage of Williams's leaping ability. Now, as you've pointed out, Gabby will probably have no natural position next year. There will also be a surfeit of guards in '17/'18. So what to do with Williams. It would be ironic if she needs to be made into a guard again, but I suspect she'll come off the bench as an interior sub. Gabby is an athlete, not really a position player. She'll probably be her most important this year.

Reaction Score

Bags27--You are right in all you say about Gabby--I think she will keep getting better, because she has the drive to do it, and Geno will push that drive as far as he can---I have no doubt that Gabby will be a 2 guard in the Wnba and Europe. Her work ethic should make any WNBA scout stand up and take notice--she may be the best bargain of THAT draft.

Reaction Score
Really interesting point, donald. Geno, as we all know, converted Gabby to forward because he had enough guards her freshman year and he needed some more help inside. He also wanted to take advantage of Williams's leaping ability. Now, as you've pointed out, Gabby will probably have no natural position next year. There will also be a surfeit of guards in '17/'18. So what to do with Williams. It would be ironic if she needs to be made into a guard again, but I suspect she'll come off the bench as an interior sub. Gabby is an athlete, not really a position player. She'll probably be her most important this year.

You nailed the best of Gabby---she has no specific position--she can play 4 of the 5 positions equally well--what a problem for Geno to have??

Reaction Score
She does not need a 3 point shot! With her great athletic ability, she should never be that far from the basket. She can dominate in the paint; we saw some of that on Friday night.
To play on Geno's team--it's almost a requirement---regardless of position Geno want's 3 point shooters--look at the last 3 or so years--who didn't shoot the 3 of the starting 5---subs not so much.

Reaction Score
I engaged in a brief philosophical debate with a poster about this very thing. My take was that just because Gabby didn't shoot 3's her freshman & sophomore years, does not mean she can't. She was recruited as a guard. She's listed as a guard on this year's roster.

Guards can shoot 3's. It means she did not have the green light to do so. I'm not surprised at Gabby's shooting prowess. Not at all. I read somewhere the last couple of days that it's possible that Gabby may be asked to play all 5 positions at some point during a game, or some point during the season.

What other player on the roster could possibly be asked to do that? If Gabby can stay out of foul trouble, she's going to be very productive and a serious concern for many of UConn's opponents this season. I can realistically see 14/8 most nights, assuming she starts. I look for Geno to give Gabby more reign this season.

as paranoia as I am--I didn't say Gabby couldn't shoot the 3 this year---haven't seen her shoot it yet. The knock on her --I said--Frosh year was she couldn't shoot FT's or 3's. Because someone said she was a 3 ball shooter in HS. Gabby is a worker on and off the floor.
When she dedicates her brain to doing anything--she does it!! Absolutely. Will she be a significant 3 ball threat?? We shall see in the coming games--but I bet she gives Nina Davis fits.
I like your--"she may be asked to play all 5 positions--but not against Baylor (only 4),or USC (3) or Tx (2)--Gabby because she has been , at times, to play against 6-3 or taller, failed because as athletic as she is--she is only 5-11 or less--Jumping will only compensate for a bit of height .
Gabby ---as an aggressive and wanting to impress as a freshman or soph over played over acted over compensated--but she is NOW a Junior and knows the ropes--no more over anything--she is fast, quick, and talented--I believe in Gabby.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
as paranoia as I am--I didn't say Gabby couldn't shoot the 3 this year---haven't seen her shoot it yet. The knock on her --I said--Frosh year was she couldn't shoot FT's or 3's. Because someone said she was a 3 ball shooter in HS. Gabby is a worker on and off the floor.
When she dedicates her brain to doing anything--she does it!! Absolutely. Will she be a significant 3 ball threat?? We shall see in the coming games--but I bet she gives Nina Davis fits.
I like your--"she may be asked to play all 5 positions--but not against Baylor (only 4),or USC (3) or Tx (2)--Gabby because she has been , at times, to play against 6-3 or taller, failed because as athletic as she is--she is only 5-11 or less--Jumping will only compensate for a bit of height .
Gabby ---as an aggressive and wanting to impress as a freshman or soph over played over acted over compensated--but she is NOW a Junior and knows the ropes--no more over anything--she is fast, quick, and talented--I believe in Gabby.

Broadway, ?!? What makes you think YOU were the poster I mentioned that I had the debate with? I didn't mention any names. But you're right. it was you. :) No doubt when you read this comment, you knew who I was referring to. Anyway.............I could compose posts all day in reference to Gabby and her cohorts, in reference to what they are going to do this year, but it would be nothing but pure speculation at this point. I'm just about burned out guessing and speculating, not to mention being tired from being an active participant in the Megan Walker watch.

We've got some posters here with a unique sense of humor. I'm hoping Gabby's performance during the year is worthy of All-American consideration by the voters.
That can only happen if she can stay on the floor, and out of foul trouble. She's worked on other parts of her game over the summer. I hope she worked on that aspect of her game as well. I my 60+ years of watching basketball, I've never seen a player make a play from the bench, which is where she'll be if she can't learn to play without fouling. :eek:

Reaction Score
Broadway, ?!? What makes you think YOU were the poster I mentioned that I had the debate with? I didn't mention any names. But you're right. it was you. :) No doubt when you read this comment, you knew who I was referring to. Anyway...I could compose posts all day in reference to Gabby and her cohorts, in reference to what they are going to do this year, but it would be nothing but pure speculation at this point. I'm just about burned out guessing and speculating, not to mention being tired from being an active participant in the Megan Walker watch.

We've got some posters here with a unique sense of humor. I'm hoping Gabby's performance during the year is worthy of All-American consideration by the voters.
That can only happen if she can stay on the floor, and out of foul trouble. She's worked on other parts of her game over the summer. I hope she worked on that aspect of her game as well. I my 60+ years of watching basketball, I've never seen a player make a play from the bench, which is where she'll be if she can't learn to play without fouling. :eek:

Last things first---Gabby will be as aggressive without fouling this year---Geno allows Frosh/Sophs to foul some--but when you are a Jr--you have learned his system. Gabby with her speed/quickness will be an exceptional defender.
Since I didn't see the First night shooting--I have no basis on which to assess Gabbys current 3 ball shooting.
I don't remember her throwing up any 3's last year--a couple of jumpers and stand stills from the key--and putbacks--but no 3's . Coming in last year she still had the label of a no 3 shooter. Geno---going back a few to 15 years--stressed the beauty of the 3. Take 10 -2's and make them --you have 20 points. Take and make 70 percent of 10 three's and you are 1 point ahead. Conservation of energy. So Geno wants all of those starting 5 to be good to better 3 ball shooter.

Lastly---How dare you be so cruel and indecent to not use my name when you speak of me, as PT Barnum said--say what you want but mention my name (or words to that effect)

The megan watch---as they said in the old daze in rural Ct---it or get off the pot.

Last edited:

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
I predicted last season that Gabby and Napheesa would be hitting 3's this season. Because of the distance that Geno and staff had them shooting from, you could see them hitting 3's this season.

Reaction Score
One thing I have learned from watching Gabby W. the past 2 years is whatever she puts her mind to she accomplishes in the off-season through hard work! So this year should be quite interesting, to say the least!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom