Gabby Williams | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Gabby Williams

Reaction Score
Here's what we had in our living room growing up. A complete system. Who could want more?
maxresdefault.jpg
We had something similar, but with a 9” tv in the center. Made before 1949. Don’t remember what my parents did with it. I know the turntable was used for many years.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
We had something similar, but with a 9” tv in the center. Made before 1949. Don’t remember what my parents did with it. I know the turntable was used for many years.
Here's the TV I watched Merrytoon Circus, Captain Kangaroo and Mr. Greenjean's.

magnavox-mediterranean-color-tv-1.jpg

Surprisingly, I don't miss it one bit. Kinda miss Emmit Kelly though.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
And let's not forget that as good as some of those turntables are, the real celebrated analog technology among the audiophiles these days is reel-to-reel tape. Do you want this machine, an old TASCAM that's been extremely heavily modified with brand new heads and circuitry all around?

OawdDC3.jpg

It will only set you back $21,000 or so.

Want some albums for your $21k tape player, playing at 15 inches per second? (normal consumer tape players back in the day played at 7.5 or 3.75 inches per second) As it turns out, they have started making some albums in this format. They will only set you back four or five hundred dollars each.

edit: This is a nice video on the subject, covering the history of reel-to-reel formats and the newer extremely expensive audiophile variant of it:

These are the guys who make the new RTR's that people in the audiophile community are going bat crazy for. It's not actually a Tascam, it's made by a bunch of guys called United Home Audio. Their latest is called the Ultimata 2, and yeah, 21K. RTR is really the ultimate analog, but the tapes are mad expensive. $250 I think new. Believe it or not though, 21K is cheap for high end transducer front ends (Turntables, Tape decks etc). High end (not audiophile stuff, which are cheaper) TT's really start at about 8k and can go up to about $1,000,000! Fortunately including arm, although not all. High end cartridges start at about 2k and can go up to about 50K! All of these high end companies make little profit from long and costly R&D and meager sales. It's a rarified world for sure, but the high end of any product is going to be costly. By the way, it was the audiop(h)ile community that invented the terms "High Definition" and "High End".

Last edited:

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Williams made a wise choice selecting basketball over track, but I sure would like to have seen what she would have developed into as a high jumper. Just a beautifully graceful athlete who seems to have a different gravitational pull than the rest of us.

She represents UCONN as a true student-athlete.
Very nice of you to say.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom