Gabby Williams | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Gabby Williams

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
But I sure miss those big cover photos/art work...!
In my den, I used to put them on my old wood wall, along with a poster or 2 of some of my fav artists/groups. :D
Oh, yeah, try to follow the lyrics and story of Lamb Lies Down on Broadway from the little CD liner. I’m not sure it’s even one point.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
When I began to seriously explore this stuff back in 1983 my hearing was impressive. I could still hear a 20k hz test tone. My hearing has narrowed since then, but there isn't a lot of information up or down there.
So, why do I love analog? Because.
Youth is wasted on the young.

I enjoyed your post. Color me envious.

Had the pleasure of listening to a $100K system many years ago. The owner played several things, including something from the late '50s. Woodwind quintet maybe. (I remember a flute). He made the point that recording technology (analog) exceeded reproduction technology--the artists never heard the playback as well as it could be heard decades later.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Youth is wasted on the young.

I enjoyed your post. Color me envious.

Had the pleasure of listening to a $100K system many years ago. The owner played several things, including something from the late '50s. Woodwind quintet maybe. (I remember a flute). He made the point that recording technology (analog) exceeded reproduction technology--the artists never heard the playback as well as it could be heard decades later.
Indeed, indeed. Today's cartridges with their unique stylus forms are still digging more and more information 0ut of the grooves. It's amazing. Of course these hi-end cartridges are hand made with the tiny transformers wound slowly by hand by a single person. In a room with a microscope. Not that many are made and the best are stratospherically priced. Even the lesser priced ones, 1K or so, are hand made and wound. My buddy writes for Positive Feedback, and online magazine. His speakers were about 70K brand new, and yes, his system well exceeds 100K.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I agree that for many types of music, analog is better. Sound is a fundamentally analog thing. For a lot of classical, folk, etc., the incredible quiet parts are better with digital.

For me the biggest reason for going digital was merely convenience. I don’t spend much time at all just listening, so superior sound isn’t a driving factor. But being able to put six hours of music on the platter for me flat out beats having to put a new record on every 15-25 minutes. And as Jordy pointed out, CD’s take up much less space.
Unfortunately that kind of dead, vacuum space doesn't exist in the concert hall. These halls are full of people and air, and vinyl best portrays, to me, that reality.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
1200 is this the best of the best?
upload_2017-12-26_5-54-12.jpeg

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
disco... the Bee Gees and Donna Summers, love those! y Pandora stays on EWF

but the same outfit also does several different refurbishments of the Technics tables. Here's one:

IMG_5415.jpe

ARTISAN FIDELITY

Not saying these are the world's most expensive or best turntables, but they do a really job on some cool vintage decks:cool:

JordyG

Reaction Score
I prefer this restored and reimagined Garrard 401 from Artisan Fidelity:

:p

View attachment 27214
but the same outfit also does several different refurbishments of the Technics tables. Here's one:

View attachment 27215

ARTISAN FIDELITY

Not saying these are the world's most expensive or best turntables, but they do a really job on some cool vintage decks:cool:
Such beautiful tables. You have, as I, expensive tastes my friend. Here's one of my table, a VPI Classic 4. I have a Shelter Harmony.

VPI-Classic-3-white-bckg.jpg

Last edited:

JordyG

Reaction Score

View attachment 27215

ARTISAN FIDELITY

Here's my friend Marshall's which I drool over regularly. It's a little more affordable (a little) than the Titan. Arm included. The Kronos Sparta.

Kronos%20Sparta%20HR.jpg

Last edited:

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Back in my youth, my parents spun their disks on something like this little baby. You could stack up a bunch of 45s with a quick switch-over to LPs. Very convenient with it's own handle. You could even have music in the kitchen if you wanted. :)

We thought it was high tech.....

old-record-player-1960-s-27411609.jpg

JordyG

Reaction Score
Back in my youth, my parents spun their disks on something like this little baby. You could stack up a bunch of 45s with a quick switch-over to LPs. Very convenient with it's own handle. You could even have music in the kitchen if you wanted. :)

View attachment 27219
Here's what we had in our living room growing up. A complete system. Who could want more?
maxresdefault.jpg

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Here's the one from VPI I'm currently drooling over. I heard it in action at the last NYC Audio Show.

vpi_titan_turntable_review_matej_isak_mono_and_stereo_2017_2018%2B-%2B1.jpg
Why two tonearms? Two cartridges optimized for different types of music?

JordyG

Reaction Score
Why two tonearms? Two cartridges optimized for different types of music?
Many audiophiles have two arms on tables that allow for it, some up a to 4 arms, for multiple purposes: For different types of music, for mono and stereo, in order to have different cartridges (because boy, do these things sound different) for status, because they got like that etc. I would love to have another arm with a quality mono cartridge. I believe the VPI Titan can hold up to 3 arms. Harry Weisfeld who makes and owns VPI along with his son Mat (both whom I've met many times) are fans I believe of the new Air Tight Magnum Opus, which I have heard in a shoot out with their PC-1. Yeah, the MO is leaps and bounds above the PC-1, but the cost of entry for either is eye crossingly expensive. I even stuttered when I heard the MO's price.

Last edited:

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Here's my friend Marshall's which I drool over regularly. It's a little more affordable (a little) than the Titan. Arm included. The Kronos Sparta.

"Affordable" is a relative term. By my standards NONE of these are attainable :(

JordyG

Reaction Score
"Affordable" is a relative term. By my standards NONE of these are attainable :(
Note I did say "eye crossiingly expensive". I still stutter when I mention their prices. I also stutter when I hear them in action.

Reaction Score
And let's not forget that as good as some of those turntables are, the real celebrated analog technology among the audiophiles these days is reel-to-reel tape. Do you want this machine, an old TASCAM that's been extremely heavily modified with brand new heads and circuitry all around?

OawdDC3.jpg

It will only set you back $21,000 or so.

Want some albums for your $21k tape player, playing at 15 inches per second? (normal consumer tape players back in the day played at 7.5 or 3.75 inches per second) As it turns out, they have started making some albums in this format. They will only set you back four or five hundred dollars each.

edit: This is a nice video on the subject, covering the history of reel-to-reel formats and the newer extremely expensive audiophile variant of it:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Williams made a wise choice selecting basketball over track, but I sure would like to have seen what she would have developed into as a high jumper. Just a beautifully graceful athlete who seems to have a different gravitational pull than the rest of us.

She represents UCONN as a true student-athlete.

Reaction Score

View attachment 27219
That apparently was Hi Tech. I keep looking for the crank---NOW that was Hi Tech, at the extreme. Mica reproducers, does the world get better than that??

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom