Gabby Williams partial ACL tear; surgery out for year | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Gabby Williams partial ACL tear; surgery out for year

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I don't recall whether Brittany ever had acl surgery (I don't think so), but the surgery she had at UConn was definitely to replace her torn meniscus.

Hunter's surgical procedure calls for her to receive a transplanted meniscus, as well as a hamstring tendon to replace other damage in the knee.

``I'm optimistic, but I'll also be the first person to come back from an injury like this,'' Hunter said. ``It's not new. It's just really rare among athletes my age. It's something that happens to older women whose knees deteriorate and they need reconstruction just to walk around.''

http://articles.courant.com/2004-10...ransfer-rule-transplant-surgery-geno-auriemma
Thanks for finding that - by the time Hunter arrived at Uconn she was already in the ... it may work, but there is no track record .. area of medicine for elite athletes. I am just a little worried about Morgan in that regard as well though at the moment we are no where near the severity of Hunter's issue. With Gabby it is all normal miserable ACL stuff.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Thanks for finding that - by the time Hunter arrived at Uconn she was already in the ... it may work, but there is no track record .. area of medicine for elite athletes. I am just a little worried about Morgan in that regard as well though at the moment we are no where near the severity of Hunter's issue. With Gabby it is all normal miserable ACL stuff.

If Morgan had the so-called OATS surgery -- I think she did -- then the best track record is over in Europe where this is the preferred surgery to repair damaged cartilage like Morgan has. Recent studies in this country have confirmed the European results (better than microfracture), but not among elite athletes playing college or professional American sports. It remains to be seen what the results will be for elite athletes in American sports (football/basketball) versus European soccer. I'm curious to see how Morgan does.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Gabby : We all believe in you, may the Holy Spirit give power & strength to you, at this challenging time of your life. You can fly high in the 'high jump' kid. Stay high, Gabby! We will see you next season.
I know I will get hammered for this, but I really wish we could keep religion off this board.

Best wishes should be enough.

Ok...hammer away.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
As Jim Fuller describes it, sounds like Morgan underwent the OATS procedure which is inserting cartilage from another (non-weight bearing) part of the knee in to the area where Morgan's cartilage is damaged. Microfracture is different and most athletes get that surgery done in Colorado.

UConn sophomore forward Morgan Tuck underwent season-ending surgery on her right knee today as she had cartilage from another part of her knee inserted into the area where she didn't have any in order to prevent future contusions or bone bruises.

JA's write-up from last night (LINK) now quotes Geno as saying it was micro-fracture:

Auriemma also said Morgan Tuck had surgery Thursday, but described it as a micro-fracture, which is a quite different procedure than cartilage transfer, which Tuck described last week. She will not be able to do any physical activity of six months.

So now I'm confused.....

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
JA's write-up from last night (LINK) now quotes Geno as saying it was micro-fracture:

Auriemma also said Morgan Tuck had surgery Thursday, but described it as a micro-fracture, which is a quite different procedure than cartilage transfer, which Tuck described last week. She will not be able to do any physical activity of six months.

So now I'm confused.....

I think Geno misspoke. I'm sure both procedures were discussed as options but they're very different and Morgan definitely talked about the OATS procedure (transferring cartilage) when talking to the media last week. Hopefully the Horde will clarify.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
And yet, dd said nothing about his beliefs at all. Just that he'd prefer to keep the whole religion thing off the board. Which is a fair comment.

Freedom of religion does not embrace criticism of someone who expresses his or hers in a greeting and wish of well being to someone else. You want to call it "fair comment", okay get lawyerly. I call it simply bad manners and boorish.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Freedom of religion does not embrace criticism of someone who expresses his or hers in a greeting and wish of well being to someone else. You want to call it "fair comment", okay get lawyerly. I call it simply bad manners and boorish.

I don't agree...he simply stated his position.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
As Geno noted faith is a deeply personal thing. It has long been part of this board, back to the earliest days I can remember that persons offered prayers, blessings and wishes to each other in times of loss or need of healing. I have appreciated many of those when they were directed my way in the past.

Back on Patriots' Day in the aftermath of the bombing I posted an old prayer attributed to St. Patrick which included a section of prayers invoking the name of Christ. I did this, specifically, because Boston is a city with large numbers of Irish Catholic police and emergency workers. It is part of the heritage of Boston. The prayer known as The Breastplate of St. Patrick was chosen for context, for people who were busy serving in harms' way and for whom St. Patrick has as special place. It is a prayer remembering and seeking God's guardianship. Some board members did not like the repetitive naming of Christ and objected to the moderators who then asked me to stop offering prayers in a broader context. I would gladly have adapted it, but simply followed its historic form.

No one is more aware of the conflict that religious expression can produce than pastors. We see it within and between faith communities and individuals. Sometimes we, as pastors, even cause that division by nothing more than our presence. To pretend or act as if religion is not part of the world and the lives of people is nonsense but at the same time one must always ask will an expression of faith or belief help heal or divide in this context. Will prayer add or is it simply a distraction. I have seldom found it impossible to offer healing without at the same time respecting the belief or disbelief of others but it takes awareness and respect for others. I have limited my offerings of prayers since April out of the respect for the request from our moderators.

No, offering best wishes is not the same as offering prayers or blessings to another nor is it fatal to hear the expression of G-d, Father, Christ, Spirit, Vishnu, Buddha, or any other name by which someone relates to whatever greater power they perceive and whom they follow. Nor does it do me any harm when someone chooses to not share my belief or any belief.

Let us be patient one another and allow each a small space of freedom to express compassion for one another as we might each see fit and let us, also, limit ourselves and our personal faith that it does not become a burden upon our neighbor.

Two weeks ago I attended a memorial for a man who was tragically struck by a car and killed on Christmas Eve. Dave had been a member of the local ISHKON community. The memorial was a glorious celebration of Dave's life and his love of music as a guitar instructor. Numerous acts and students came and played. They included members of the ISHKON community who led a drum circle and singing of traditional hymn "Hare Krishna." Yes, the one whose words many of us learned from George Harrison. At one point another person I know who is not a part of the ISHKON community invited me to get up and dance with their community. I refused and she wondered why. I told her that I did not dance out of respect for that community of faith. I said, "It is their faith and I do not know whether to join in is to respect or disrespect their tradition so I'll sit and listen enjoying their expression of the faith that is theirs." I believe they would do the same for me. I know Dave would have.

Let's hold each other in respect.

I apologize for the length I hope it helps us all guide our choices.

Last edited:

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I guess we simply have different views on what constitutes good manners in an open society.

Perhaps.

IAC, I didn't say what my view was, I simply said that DD stated his own position. No more, no less. How this translates into my or anyone elses manners I don't know.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
It was the specific use of one religion that I object to. I practice my religion and pray regularly.

And I'm offended being called boorish.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Fact is there is no non-belief. There is disbelief in specific God, gods, or faiths. There is, also, belief that there is no God or gods.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
I think Geno misspoke. I'm sure both procedures were discussed as options but they're very different and Morgan definitely talked about the OATS procedure (transferring cartilage) when talking to the media last week. Hopefully the Horde will clarify.
Not that this article would be considered clarification, but ESPN just posted an article referring to Tuck's procedure microfracture surgery. Of course they could have acquired their information from the same questionable source: LINK.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Not that this article would be considered clarification, but ESPN just posted an article referring to Tuck's procedure microfracture surgery. Of course they could have acquired their information from the same questionable source: LINK.

I saw that earlier today. It's an AP story that seems to rely on what the Horde reported last night.

The school issued a release saying that the surgery was a success (when is it not) and that Geno expects Morgan back for the start of the 2014-2015 season. I suppose we'll learn about the procedure at some point. I'm curious because the OATS procedure is a fairly new approach to these sorts of knee problems and is now thought to produce a higher success rate than microfracture surgery. There are a few NBA players who've had microfracture surgery (Oden, Kidd, etc.); as far as women's basketball players, Stanford's JJ Hones and OU's Whitney Hand comes to mind.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It was the specific use of one religion that I object to. I practice my religion and pray regularly.

And I'm offended being called boorish.

Then let us say on behalf of all religions and all practicing nob-religious that we wish the most speedy recovery to Morgan and Gabby.

BTW I did not see any denominational stamp on that well wish. If you are offended at what your defender calls "fair comment" and expected to be hammered, then maybe you have a streak of masochism in you.

If you are offended by a religious reference in a well wish directed to someone else, that is unfortunate. It is not ameliorated by your profession of religious belief; there are plenty of religious people who are intolerant.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Then let us say on behalf of all religions and all practicing nob-religious that we wish the most speedy recovery to Morgan and Gabby.

BTW I did not see any denominational stamp on that well wish. If you are offended at what your defender calls "fair comment" and expected to be hammered, then maybe you have a streak of masochism in you.

If you are offended by a religious reference in a well wish directed to someone else, that is unfortunate. It is not ameliorated by your profession of religious belief; there are plenty of religious people who are intolerant.
Holy Sprit is denominational.

There were several well wishes and prayers I did not comment on in this thread and many many other threads.

Bein a minority religious member by a lot and living in a Christian society, I prefer to have a basketball message board I enjoy to not have religious references.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Holy Sprit is denominational.

There were several well wishes and prayers I did not comment on in this thread and many many other threads.

Bein a minority religious member by a lot and living in a Christian society, I prefer to have a basketball message board I enjoy to not have religious references.

Holy Spirit is sectarian not denominational. It's roots are even Jewish from Genesis and wisdom literature. My dear rabbi (Conservative) friend has a long teaching on the concept of ruach/spirit and use throughout Judeo-Christian tradition. It is fascinating.

The big issue is Jesus as Christ vs still waiting for Christ/Messiah/the Anointed. Of just using God rather than G-d or some other unvoiced reference for The Lord is offensive to some Judaic denominations.

Last edited:

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Quite frankly, it is petty squabbles like this that drive me away from the BY every now and then.

I played h.s. basketball with a teammate (Catholic) who crossed himself before every free throw. I guess he would be banned from playing now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom