Gabby Williams partial ACL tear; surgery out for year | The Boneyard

Gabby Williams partial ACL tear; surgery out for year

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Gabby's MRI showed a partial re-tear of her ACL. Her season is done and she'll need surgery. Geno says she should be ready to go at the start of next season. I suspected something was up after Carl's blog noted she was seeking a second opinion on the MRI.

Morgan's surgery was today and the rehab now begins. Geno described the surgery as "microfracture" which is a different procedure than the OATS surgery we heard about last week. Either way, it'll be a long road back.

Reaction Score
Wow. How awful it must be for her coming just a couple of months after completing her last rehab.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Damn! Best wishes for a successful surgery and complete recovery. It may be grueling again, but you can do it! HuskyNation is with you!

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Seems we both were right Cat....

Speaking of Gabby Williams, I'm not sure what to think of this paragraph from Carl Adamec's story on the McD's AA announcement: http://snyuconn.com/uconn/edwards-williams-named-to-mcdonalds-game/#more-10722 Williams twisted her surgically repaired right knee during a Jan. 21 win over Spanish Springs but played in Reed High’s games last Friday and Saturday. She said Wednesday that she is taking a break as she awaits a second opinion on an MRI that she had last Friday.
It does make you wonder what the first opinion on the MRI said.

I fear this kid is pushing it too fast and too hard for her own good.

Reaction Score
Best of luck and a speedy recovery for both Morgan and Gabby. Hopefully
both will be fully recovered for the start of next season.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Wish her dad had stepped in after the first 'tweak' but that is 20-20 hindsight. Hope everything goes well with the surgery and rehab.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
As Jim Fuller describes it, sounds like Morgan underwent the OATS procedure which is inserting cartilage from another (non-weight bearing) part of the knee in to the area where Morgan's cartilage is damaged. Microfracture is different and most athletes get that surgery done in Colorado.

UConn sophomore forward Morgan Tuck underwent season-ending surgery on her right knee today as she had cartilage from another part of her knee inserted into the area where she didn't have any in order to prevent future contusions or bone bruises.

"It went well," UConn coach Geno Auriemma said after he finished his radio show at Geno's Grille. "We pushed it up. Doc (Dr. Robert Arciero) said today was the best day to do it. If she can't play, let's get it out of the way."

Reaction Score
She will have a week or 2 with some pain and tears......The good news is UCONN knows how to treat her physically and mentally over the next year.........I will keep them both in my prayers

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Grrrrrr. Knees are such weak points. Best of luck to both ladies on their recoveries.

Sucks. :(

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
More in Rich Elliott's blog. http://blog.ctnews.com/elliott/2014/01/30/williams-mri-shows-complete-acl-tear/

Gabby told Rich that she was told it's a complete tear but they've sent the MRI results to Uconn for a second opinion. Gabby played not one but two games last weekend after injuring the knee.

I'm sure Dr. Arciero will take a look at the MRI figure out next steps.

“I shot free throws, went down on defense and then like came back,’’ Williams said. “I was dribbling down the court. I still haven’t seen the film of what exactly happened, but there were a few defenders around me and the next thing I know I’m on the ground. But I stood right back up and walked out of the gym. I took the next day off and then practiced the day after that and then played two more games. I felt great. I felt normal.’’

Williams scored 16 points against Reno Jan. 24, but she was forced to leave the game with 3:30 remaining after re-aggravating her knee. However, she then had 19 points against Galena Jan. 25.

“What they think happened (against Reno) was they think because I tore the meniscus too and that I might have caught that because I didn’t even take like a hard fall or anything,’’ Williams said. “I just kind of jump-landed and then all of a sudden my leg went really stiff. And then I just went home, iced it and the next day I felt fine again. I thought it was just scar tissue.’’

Williams said that results of the MRI are being mailed to UConn and should arrive Friday. Should a second opinion match the initial results surgery would be required.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Tough luck for Williams but the process is not that surprising - with all the rehab she was doing the strength around the knee probably helped keep things aligned after the tear. People have played various sports with torn ACLs including NFL linemen and our own Jessica Moore in the championship game.
And I don't get the sense she was 'pushing it' - she was medically cleared in a fairly standard window for recovery before she got on a court. Maybe she shouldn't have played the last two games but it appears most of the damage had already occurred and given the lack of pain or swelling, I can understand a kid just going back at it. Glad they are now consulting with Arciero as well as their own doctors.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
More in Rich Elliott's blog. http://blog.ctnews.com/elliott/2014/01/30/williams-mri-shows-complete-acl-tear/

Gabby told Rich that she was told it's a complete tear but they've sent the MRI results to Uconn for a second opinion. Gabby played not one but two games last weekend after injuring the knee.

I'm sure Dr. Arciero will take a look at the MRI figure out next steps.

“I shot free throws, went down on defense and then like came back,’’ Williams said. “I was dribbling down the court. I still haven’t seen the film of what exactly happened, but there were a few defenders around me and the next thing I know I’m on the ground. But I stood right back up and walked out of the gym. I took the next day off and then practiced the day after that and then played two more games. I felt great. I felt normal.’’

Williams scored 16 points against Reno Jan. 24, but she was forced to leave the game with 3:30 remaining after re-aggravating her knee. However, she then had 19 points against Galena Jan. 25.

“What they think happened (against Reno) was they think because I tore the meniscus too and that I might have caught that because I didn’t even take like a hard fall or anything,’’ Williams said. “I just kind of jump-landed and then all of a sudden my leg went really stiff. And then I just went home, iced it and the next day I felt fine again. I thought it was just scar tissue.’’

Williams said that results of the MRI are being mailed to UConn and should arrive Friday. Should a second opinion match the initial results surgery would be required.

homer sad.png

Last edited:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Just terrible for Gabby. Just terrible.

Reaction Score
Best Wishes for a Quick and Successful recovery.

I have confidence that Gabby will return and have a GREAT & SUCCESSFUL UCONN CAREER.

Reaction Score
Gabby : We all believe in you, may the Holy Spirit give power & strength to you, at this challenging time of your life. You can fly high in the 'high jump' kid. Stay high, Gabby! We will see you next season.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Cat I think she actually had a cadaver graft of an ACL.

I don't recall whether Brittany ever had acl surgery (I don't think so), but the surgery she had at UConn was definitely to replace her torn meniscus.

Hunter's surgical procedure calls for her to receive a transplanted meniscus, as well as a hamstring tendon to replace other damage in the knee.

``I'm optimistic, but I'll also be the first person to come back from an injury like this,'' Hunter said. ``It's not new. It's just really rare among athletes my age. It's something that happens to older women whose knees deteriorate and they need reconstruction just to walk around.''

http://articles.courant.com/2004-10...ransfer-rule-transplant-surgery-geno-auriemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom