Gabby vs Azura and McGowan in EuroCup Women's Final | The Boneyard

Gabby vs Azura and McGowan in EuroCup Women's Final

Reaction Score
Gabby and Lyon Asvel against Galatasaray in Women's EuroCup Final, first game: 95 Asvel, 56 Gala.

Asvel took off after the first few minutes and never looked back. Their ball movement sometimes brought to mind UConn teams. Gabby did very well. While she was deadly within the 3-pt arc, not so hot beyond it, although one was a desperation shot at just before the buzzer. As usual, defense, rebounding and assists were part of her repertory.

I couldn't help suspect that everytime she was on McGowan, the extra effort was revenge-driven (of some form) for the loss to Miss State in the FF, snapping 111 streak. She wasn't as aggressive against Azura.

Links to the game:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Gabby and Lyon Asvel against Galatasaray in Women's EuroCup Final, first game: 95 Asvel, 56 Gala.

Asvel took off after the first few minutes and never looked back. Their ball movement sometimes brought to mind UConn teams. Gabby did very well. While she was deadly within the 3-pt arc, not so hot beyond it, although one was a desperation shot at just before the buzzer. As usual, defense, rebounding and assists were part of her repertory.

I couldn't help suspect that everytime she was on McGowan, the extra effort was revenge-driven (of some form) for the loss to Miss State in the FF, snapping 111 streak. She wasn't as aggressive against Azura.

Links to the game:

Thanks for posting this Blue Sky. It’s always nice to read about our former players and the sucess they're having overseas. Gabby was a great player at UConn but has managed to improve her game as a professional.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Didn't Gabby win this last year?

Reaction Score
McCowan

Gabby is still doing Gabby things and making it look effortless! Easily one of the most athletic players in history.

She always amazed me, one time I saw a video of her solving a Rubik's cube in about 30 seconds......and now she has her jumper falling at a higher rate. Maybe the astronaut corp is next. :D

Reaction Score
She's one of the few hoopsters who nearly made the Olympics in another sport.
While still in High School, was it? If she hadn't been injured two years in a row, would she have been tempted to go for double sports? Would probably have been impossible at UConn or would Geno have accommodated it?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
While still in High School, was it? If she hadn't been injured two years in a row, would she have been tempted to go for double sports? Would probably have been impossible at UConn or would Geno have accommodated it?

We’ll never know. I think her knee injuries in high school ended her high jump career, but she was 5th in the U.S. Olympic trials and tied the American record for a 15-year-old at slightly above 6’2”.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Final Euro Cup game is today(Wed) at 1pm EDT, for Gabby's team.
Free to watch on the You tube link below.
Since Gabby's team won by 39 points in game one, they would have to lose by 40 to be upset.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Any WNBA fans know why Gabby is still a free agent?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I suspect she will not sign until she is finished in Europe as I think that will avoid the WNBA penalty for not being at training camp/preseason for players playing in Europe. Not positive this is correct, but seems logical.

There is a lot of talent in Europe that we never see. The only difference to the W is it is spread across so many more teams - think about what a 24 team league would look like in the W - a couple of stars and a bunch of role players on each team. That is what Europe looks like.

And watching Jocyte it is clear that she could benefit from Uconn coaching. :cool:
:rolleyes:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The Sun need a talent boost. I just emailed and told them to sign Gabby. That oughta do it!

Reaction Score
Done....by a 2-game margin probably unheard of in EuroCup history or maybe even EuroLeague. Aggregate score margin of 67 points, never letting Gala break 60 in either game.

Reaction Score
Any WNBA fans know why Gabby is still a free agent?
The Storm made a qualifying offer, I believe, so they would have first rights. She's not coming in for training camp since the French Women's League is not going to be over by then....she's not going to leave Lyon Asvel before their season ends, which most likely be after the playoffs. They're on top there too, although there's one team they can't seem to beat there. I do think their confidence gets a boost with this EuroCup championship.

Tony Parker though expects them to win: I think 6 in the team are in the French national team roster.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I was impressed with Dietrick in this game. Nice that she has had some success in Europe out of Princeton in 2015 with a few drinks of water with WNBA teams over the years. Starting for the cup winners.

And I was sort of serious about my Jocyte comment above - clearly talented, but needs some development work and that is hard as a pro. Still think Azura could have used another college year - she is a good pro, but could be better with her skills and size.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom