Gabby vs Azura and McGowan in EuroCup Women's Final | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Gabby vs Azura and McGowan in EuroCup Women's Final

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Any WNBA fans know why Gabby is still a free agent?
Probably because she's not "hot-to-trot" about coming back to the States (and fly commercially all over the country) to play for a fraction of the money she can make overseas. She's very comfortable there, and she has family there. ;)

Gabby is well-paid there. She doesn't need the money. She may also want to take those WNBA months to rest and recover.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Probably because she's not "hot-to-trot" about coming back to the States (and fly commercially all over the country) to play for a fraction of the money she can make overseas. She's very comfortable there, and she has family there. ;) Gabby is well-paid there. She doesn't need the money. She may also want to take those WNBA months to rest and recover.
I know the Sky did her wrong. So you're saying my email will have no impact?

Carnac

Reaction Score
I know the Sky did her wrong. So you're saying my email will have no impact?
I agree that Sky did her wrong, and I'm glad she left there. I simply provided a chapter and verse about why Gabby may not have a burning desire to play in the WNBA right now. What email are you referring to? :confused:

Reaction Score
We’ll never know. I think her knee injuries in high school ended her high jump career, but she was 5th in the U.S. Olympic trials and tied the American record for a 15-year-old at slightly above 6’2”.
It should be no surprise that she was also a fine mutievent athlete in track and field . Her heptathlon result from 2012 still compares quite well to the existing national age class record.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I agree that Sky did her wrong, and I'm glad she left there. I simply provided a chapter and verse about why Gabby may not have a burning desire to play in the WNBA right now. What email are you referring to? :confused:
An earlier post referenced an email I sent to the Sun today saying they should sign Gabby.

Carnac

Reaction Score
An earlier post referenced an email I sent to the Sun today saying they should sign Gabby.
Pardon me, I did not see that post referring to that email. :cool:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I hope Gabby plays in the W, because I'm selfish. I want to see her play in person. I love her game and her personality.

Reactions: KCD
Reaction Score
The Storm made a qualifying offer, I believe, so they would have first rights. She's not coming in for training camp since the French Women's League is not going to be over by then....she's not going to leave Lyon Asvel before their season ends, which most likely be after the playoffs. They're on top there too, although there's one team they can't seem to beat there. I do think their confidence gets a boost with this EuroCup championship.

Tony Parker though expects them to win: I think 6 in the team are in the French national team roster.
She and Seattle are apparently on the same page. The options available to her depend on Lyon's playoffs results and they are currently in first place.

If Lyon makes the French League finals, she, Sandrine Gruda, and Blake Dietrick will all be banned from signing in the WNBA for the entire season due to the new WNBA prioritization rule.

If they are upset, the original plan was for her to sign with Seattle, at which point she would be subject to a fine based on how many days of training camp she would miss. The French national team setup is asking for all of their players to be available as soon as they are done with their European seasons, meaning that they do not want their players playing in the WNBA until after EuroBasket:

If Lyon does not make the finals, she can rest until June 1st and then report to French camp, but if she participates with them in May, she would also be banned from signing in the WNBA for the season. There would be time for her to sign with Seattle as long as it is done before July 1st.

Reaction Score
Probably because she's not "hot-to-trot" about coming back to the States (and fly commercially all over the country) to play for a fraction of the money she can make overseas. She's very comfortable there, and she has family there. ;)

Gabby is well-paid there. She doesn't need the money. She may also want to take those WNBA months to rest and recover.

She has been very open about all that WNBA stuff....including the prioritization provision in the CBA that kicks in this season as well as the position and role she come to prefer play. She no longer wants to be a Swiss Army knife player....I don't blame her.

I think Seattle agrees with her on where and how they want her to play.

Watching all the EuroCup games they played, I am now amazed at how deadly she has become within the 2pt range. 3pt is still work in progress but I think it is a matter of confidence because the stroke is getting better and her center of gravity upon elevation to shoot is getting better centered. With all the things she does, if the 3pt shot becomes as consistent as the 2pt, can't wish for anything more, given all the things she can do and does.

And she really is a graceful sport....first class sportsmanship with grace.

Reaction Score
She and Seattle are apparently on the same page. The options available to her depend on Lyon's playoffs results and they are currently in first place.

If Lyon makes the French League finals, she, Sandrine Gruda, and Blake Dietrick will all be banned from signing in the WNBA for the entire season due to the new WNBA prioritization rule.

If they are upset, the original plan was for her to sign with Seattle, at which point she would be subject to a fine based on how many days of training camp she would miss. The French national team setup is asking for all of their players to be available as soon as they are done with their European seasons, meaning that they do not want their players playing in the WNBA until after EuroBasket:

If Lyon does not make the finals, she can rest until June 1st and then report to French camp, but if she participates with them in May, she would also be banned from signing in the WNBA for the season. There would be time for her to sign with Seattle as long as it is done before July 1st.
The chatter I kept hearing from the Storm is they want her back: they are happy with what she did and they see how much upside she has for them.

Add Marine Johannes to those three - the Liberty liked what they saw of her last year and why wouldn't they? Gabby herself calls her the best player in the French National team when she missed the World Cup games due to injury. Watching both of them play together, I understand why Gabby said that.

Reaction Score
Screenshot_20230414_093316_Instagram.jpg

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Camera angles can do strange things but: I always thought Gabby was a legit 6'.
If so Juste looks to be around 6'2"....won't be 18 till November.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Camera angles can do strange things but: I always thought Gabby was a legit 6'.
If so Juste looks to be around 6'2"....won't be 18 till November.

Gabby is 5'11" to 6'0" and Juste is 6'1" or 6'2".

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Gabby just need to convince Juste that everyone who attends UConn develops her level of athleticism. :D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom