Gabby Proclaims: "We're like the circus.... | The Boneyard

Gabby Proclaims: "We're like the circus....

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Not much home cookin' in this season.

"When the stretch ends in Memphis on Jan. 24, UConn will have played its first 19 games in 15 different venues in 11 states -- including three different buildings in Connecticut -- and Canada."

"It cost $10 million for the University of Connecticut to repair the roof and ceiling of Gampel Pavilion during the summer and fall.

The Huskies women's basketball team would be hard-pressed to tell you how it looks.

"It's kind of always felt like that because we rarely get to play at Gampel," UConn All-American Gabby Williams said. "But this year it has been different. We're like the circus, we go wherever we're told to go."

Quite a long article, freshman stuff too. Huskies on the road again, visit USF

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Geno always referred to the Huskies road show as “the circus coming to town.” This year, there’s just a few more stops on the schedule.

Reaction Score
Cute, but I'm nervous, given the recent demise of the circus.
Only get worried if a guard, and three wing players are simultaneously hurt. We have enough fire power to survive anything less than that.

Reaction Score
Geno always referred to the Huskies road show as “the circus coming to town.” This year, there’s just a few more stops on the schedule.

what cut of the gate do the huskies get?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
what cut of the gate do the huskies get?
I know that cupcakes sometimes get paid to show up, but I doubt that anyone is paying the Huskies to beat the tar out of them.

Reaction Score
11D616CB-8CC1-43C9-9095-9A429E6417DA.jpeg

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
My job often makes me feel like the guy who has to clean up after the elephants when the circus marches thru.
LOL. Work in direct care and as a case worker with the violent and aggressive mentally and physically disabled like I did for 25 years then get back to me.

Reaction Score
On a more positive note, Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus had a 146 year run, so maybe we don't have to worry...yet.
I'd be more concerned if I were the Tufts WCBB team. It was the end of using elephants that finished Ringling Bros

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
Only seven games this season at Gampel. Seven in Hartford.

Campus games are great for the student body but I can see why they'd want to play in a larger, centrally-located facility and attendance figures YTD show that.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Only seven games this season at Gampel. Seven in Hartford.

Campus games are great for the student body but I can see why they'd want to play in a larger, centrally-located facility and attendance figures YTD show that.
Not only attendance at XL vs Gampel, but revenue as well. Students aren’t paying the same price for tickets as the general public, if they’re charged at all. Still, when the student body shows up in force, cheering at the top of their lungs, Gampel is one tough place for visiting teams to play, like last season for the Baylor and SC games.

Reaction Score
I love Gampel for the college atmosphere, but let's face it: the food at the XL, while not great, is sooooo much better.

What amazes me about both places--and this is certainly not unique to UConn but something to celebrate about "big time" WCBB generally--is how many (of us) older folks attend these games. On New Year's Eve day, with no students around, against a weak Memphis team, with the Patriots playing a must-win game at the same time, and on one of the coldest days in memory, there were 12000+ of us packed in. This is very, very special.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Playing these games away helps recruiting. So many girls who play BB get to see the Huskies up close after seeing them on TV. Watching the last game and the TV announcers mentioned how many people attended the game which surprised them considering the forecast for snow . The Huskies draw no matter where they go and to see them upfront really helps recruiting.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Not only attendance at XL vs Gampel, but revenue as well. Students aren’t paying the same price for tickets as the general public, if they’re charged at all. Still, when the student body shows up in force, cheering at the top of their lungs, Gampel is one tough place for visiting teams to play, like last season for the Baylor and SC games.

And opponents will tell you that playing to a full house in Gampel is intimidating.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom