Gabby, Lou and Napheesa are AP Preseason All-Americans | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Gabby, Lou and Napheesa are AP Preseason All-Americans

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I like Azura, and I think she will be awesome. However, for those who say that she is clearly the best player on the team, I present Exhibits A, B, and C, Lou, Pheesa, and Gabby, 3 players in the top 5 in the country, per the AP.

Could Z be the best player on the team? Yes, she could. She has more height than anyone else on the team and a broad range of skills. However, based on Crystal's play in the 2 exhibition games and the way that Kia has played since her injury last year, I think we have SIX players of roughly equal talent and effectiveness. Trying to pick one as being appreciably better than the others is challenging.
I agree 100%. I always cringe a little when someone posts on here that Z is "clearly the best player on the team", or some variation of that.

The "big 6" all averaged between 18-22 minutes in the 2 exhibition games (Lou averaged 25 minutes). The scorers did what was expected - Kia averaged 20 PPG, Naheesa 17, Azura 15.5, Lou 15 , Gabby 9.5.

For boards, it was Gabby 9.5, Azura 9, Napheesa 8, Lou 6.

For assists, Crystal 6.5, Napheesa 5.5, then 3.5 for Lou, Gabby and Kia.

Anyhoo... my point is that Z was probably the 3rd or 4th most productive, and it was pretty close for the top 6...

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm sure we don't want to use productivity in 2 preseason games to determine who are the best player on the UCONN roster. If we do that Kyla Irwin should have been a starter last year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm sure we don't want to use productivity in 2 preseason games to determine who are the best player on the UCONN roster.
+1

What I took especially from those stats is that Lou continues to log the most minutes. Geno was quite complimentary about her at his most recent presser, and it's clear that she does a lot of the intangibles that go way beyond what's in the box score.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm sure we don't want to use the 2 preseason games to determine who is the best on the roster either. However, we have zero other empirical evidence that's not an exhibition game.

My point simply was that it would be nice to see a larger base of data of actually meaningful games before anointing someone who has played exactly zero official games in a UCONN uniform as the "best player on the team".

And based on the 2 exhibition games, she certainly wasn't close to the runaway "top producer" on the team.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If she wasn't the runaway "top producer" in the exhibition games and we not using the exhibition games then she wasn't really Not the "top producer" either then right?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Maybe that's part of Geno's strategy to keep Stevens around. Being a sixth man could hurt her draft stock. Evil genius.

It's probably different in women's hoops, but being a non-starter hasn't prevented some one and doners from becoming lottery picks in the NBA draft (obviously there are no one and doners for the women; I mean the non-starter part effecting draft status).

Reaction Score
After watching the 2 Exhibition games, I am absolutely delighted that Z transferred to UConn, but I also think the hype surrounding her was a bit overblown. Z will not be the NPOY as Doris Burke and others suggested last season. As talented as she is, Z still has to improve in several areas, which I am confident that she will do eventually.
I have to disagree with you on this one. Not knocking your opinion or perspective on her play.

My logic is this - Azura is every bit as talented if not more than A'ja Wilson. If Wilson is in the running for NPOY, Azura should be right there with her.
I don't think that Azura will score as many points as Wilson this year but I have no doubt that she will play just as well if not better than Wilson.

Can Wilson hit a 3? I don't think that she can take anyone off of the dribble either. Not knocking her at all. She is a great player. From what I've seen Azura has a bit more talent.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Quick question: So...First time ever for 3 pre-season AA on the same team. Does this mean that the AP is open to naming more than two from the same team for the end of the year AA list?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
If she wasn't the runaway "top producer" in the exhibition games and we not using the exhibition games then she wasn't really Not the "top producer" either then right?
Not sure what point you are trying to make. I was referring to people who have anointed her as "the best player on the team". Nothing we have seen indicates that.

Reaction Score
The "regular season" on the-boneyard has begun!
Not sure what point you are trying to make. I was referring to people who have anointed her as "the best player on the team". Nothing we have seen indicates that.

And awaaaaaaay we go!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I have to disagree with you on this one. Not knocking your opinion or perspective on her play.

My logic is this - Azura is every bit as talented if not more than A'ja Wilson. If Wilson is in the running for NPOY, Azura should be right there with her.
I don't think that Azura will score as many points as Wilson this year but I have no doubt that she will play just as well if not better than Wilson.

Can Wilson hit a 3? I don't think that she can take anyone off of the dribble either. Not knocking her at all. She is a great player. From what I've seen Azura has a bit more talent.
Certainly Z has a skill set different than Wilson’s, but Z is not the banger in the post like Wilson

Reaction Score
Gabby should have done a one-handed dunk at the end.

Folks, we are in never-never land. Very likely better than the recent "big 3" and the greatest team since the early 2000s. Just all stay healthy, have fun, and remember that, despite however much he grouses, not even so very deep down, Geno loves you.
Disagree bigly. The best team since the early 2000s is whatever team has Stewie on it. None of the players on this team are, or ever will be even in their dreams, of Stewie's, Maya's, or DT's caliber.

Reaction Score
Certainly Z has a skill set different than Wilson’s, but Z is not the banger in the post like Wilson
Wilson was never the banger down low in the post though. Coates was the low post person. Wilson played the high post. When Coates went out with the foot injury Wilson still played a power forward face up-mid range game.

Admittedly she gave McCowan the business during the championship game but Teairra was plagued with foul trouble all game. The run up to the Final Four for South Carolina was relative less difficult with Turner also being out with injury.

Wilson never faced an elite big on their way to the championship.

Reaction Score
Disagree bigly. The best team since the early 2000s is whatever team has Stewie on it. None of the players on this team are, or ever will be even in their dreams, of Stewie's, Maya's, or DT's caliber.
I certainly agree with your estimation of Stewie. But we'll have to see whether this team as a whole is stronger.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The "regular season" on the-boneyard has begun! And awaaaaaaay we go!
LOL. I don't dispute that Azura MAY end up being the best player on the team, but IMHO it's unfair to our returning All Americans, who were also selected preseason 1st team, to suddenly anoint a kid who's never played a non-exhibition game in a UCONN uniform as the "best player on the team".

Just for perspective... as a sophomore, she averaged 31+ MPG, 18.9 PPG, 9.6 RPG, 1.3 APG and 1.7 BPG.

Last year both Lou and Napheesa (sophomores) averaged more than 20 PPG in roughly the same minutes per game (30-32), Collier had 9 RPG (less), and more blocks, steals, and assists than Azura. Lou obviously had less boards and blocks, but many more assists.

Oh, and on Duke, only 1 other player averaged double figures scoring. On UCONN we had 4. That means Z carried much more of the scoring and was the primary option. At UCONN, it was much more spread out.

Anyhoo.. How blessed are we that we get to have these debates/discussions anyway?!!!! :)

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I think you are wrong. I believe if AS plays two seasons she will prove you wrong. It is possible for this team to be as good as the team with BS, MT, and MJ on it, especially if they win the next two NCs.

Reaction Score
Maybe that's part of Geno's strategy to keep Stevens around. Being a sixth man could hurt her draft stock. Evil genius.
That thought crossed my mind, and probably a lot of other people's. But I doubt that's the case. If Z deserves to start, then she knows it, and she would know Geno wasn't starting her for some other (selfish) reason. In that case the the whole evil scheme would probably backfire and she probably wouldn't want to stick around.

1) I suspect Geno's starting lineup is purely what he feels gives him the best chance to win, and 2) I suspect Z knows she isn't competing with a point guard for starting time - she is competing with returning All-American front court players and knows she won't get moved ahead of one of them just because she transferred.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Next year, Azura can be on the pre-season lists, a starter, and a conference Media Day participant. Some motivation to enjoy another year of college and UConn basketball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom