Gabby, Lou and Napheesa are AP Preseason All-Americans | The Boneyard

Gabby, Lou and Napheesa are AP Preseason All-Americans

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Thanks for the heads up Cat, but we already knew that. We were just waiting for confirmation. UConn Nation is expecting each one of them to play like the ALL-Americans they are all year!!! Their play will make those around them raise the level and quality of their play as well.

No one wants to be outplayed/over shadowed by a fellow teammate. Most are not willing to let a teammate carry all or most of the burden alone. Hey, you raise your game, I'm raising mine!! There will be three All-Americans on this year's team. It may not be these three. It's very possible that Stevens' body of work may earn her a post-season AA selection. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Must be fairly intimidating for opponents...to play against 3 AA's and that doesn't include Z ( who may be the best of all), CD( top recruit and perhaps heading toward best PG in WCB), Kia( International star who may be best shooter on team) and MW(#1 recruit).

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It strikes me that both Wilson & Mitchell are pretty good bets to be on the AP AA 1st team at the end of the season as well, as they will both carry their teams, in large part, to whatever success they achieve this season

As for the UConn trio, anyone of them could be edged out for 1st team honors by one of their incredibly talented teammates: Z, Kia, Danger, MW?

What a team the Huskies have! :)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That the first time in her career that Kelsey Mitchell has thrown a pass. ;)
Just kidding.
You are too funny. Speaking of which did anyone else catch Geno zinging Megan during his presser on Sunday. The reporter asked a question the premise of which was that Megan Walker played PG in HS and here at UCONN she seems to be playing more F. So Geno Goes:
" I'm not sure Megan played much PG in high school unless she was in her backyard passing to herself". .... but that is something we are working on with her.

Reaction Score
It strikes me that both Wilson & Mitchell are pretty good bets to be on the AP AA 1st team at the end of the season as well, as they will both carry their teams, in large part, to whatever success they achieve this season

As for the UConn trio, anyone of them could be edged out for 1st team honors by one of their incredibly talented teammates: Z, Kia, Danger, MW?

What a team the Huskies have! :)
Kia is the most underrated player. I am so happy that she was named to the 2018 Nancy Lieberman Award watch list.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I like Azura, and I think she will be awesome. However, for those who say that she is clearly the best player on the team, I present Exhibits A, B, and C, Lou, Pheesa, and Gabby, 3 players in the top 5 in the country, per the AP.

Could Z be the best player on the team? Yes, she could. She has more height than anyone else on the team and a broad range of skills. However, based on Crystal's play in the 2 exhibition games and the way that Kia has played since her injury last year, I think we have SIX players of roughly equal talent and effectiveness. Trying to pick one as being appreciably better than the others is challenging.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I like Azura, and I think she will be awesome. However, for those who say that she is clearly the best player on the team, I present Exhibits A, B, and C, Lou, Pheesa, and Gabby, 3 players in the top 5 in the country, per the AP.

Could Z be the best player on the team? Yes, she could. She has more height than anyone else on the team and a broad range of skills. However, based on Crystal's play in the 2 exhibition games and the way that Kia has played since her injury last year, I think we have SIX players of roughly equal talent and effectiveness. Trying to pick one as being appreciably better than the others is challenging.
After watching the 2 Exhibition games, I am absolutely delighted that Z transferred to UConn, but I also think the hype surrounding her was a bit overblown. Z will not be the NPOY as Doris Burke and others suggested last season. As talented as she is, Z still has to improve in several areas, which I am confident that she will do eventually.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
OMG that made me laugh out loud. Good one!
I mean no offense to Kelsey, but she will finish at or near the top of the NCAA career list in points, 3-pointers, and shots. I believe that she took more 3-pointers in 3 seasons than Kaleena did in 4 seasons.

Actually, Kelsey does record a lot of assists, averaging 132 per season, but she also averages a whopping 639 shot attempts per season.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
After watching the 2 Exhibition games, I am absolutely delighted that Z transferred to UConn, but I also think the hype surrounding her was a bit overblown. Z will not be the NPOY as Doris Burke and others suggested last season. As talented as she is, Z still has to improve in several areas, which I am confident that she will do eventually.
Which is why Z will be a NPOY candidate NEXT season. ;)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I mean no offense to Kelsey, but she will finish at or near the top of the NCAA career list in points, 3-pointers, and shots. I believe that she took more 3-pointers in 3 seasons than Kaleena did in 4 seasons.

Actually, Kelsey does record a lot of assists, averaging 132 per season, but she also averages a whopping 639 shot attempts per season.
Also worth noting that Mitchell’s A/TO ratio is not particularly strong. Last season she had 137 assists and 84 turnovers (1.6). Sometimes Mitchell has a tendency to play a little out of control.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Also worth noting that Mitchell’s A/TO ratio is not particularly strong. Last season she had 137 assists and 84 turnovers (1.6). Sometimes Mitchell has a tendency to play a little out of control.
Last year's A/TO ratio was pretty good. Her first 2 seasons were 146/142 and 114/107, just slightly over 1.0.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Well, Kelsey Mitchell, A'ja Wilson, and Gabby Williams will be gone next year. I guess this will be the 2018 AP pre-season AA list:

Katie Lou Samuelson
Napheesa Collier
Azura Stevens
Megan Walker
Crystal Dangerfield

:D

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Last year's A/TO ratio was pretty good. Her first 2 seasons were 146/142 and 114/107, just slightly over 1.0.
For comparison sake, Mitchell’s A/TO ratio of 1.6 would have ranked 7th best on UConn. Both Lou & Pheesa were slightly better at approximately 1.7, with Saniya, Gabby, Kia & Danger all better than 2.0. But maybe it’s just not fair to compare any player’s A/TO ratio to the standards set by the Huskies.

Reaction Score
Gabby should have done a one-handed dunk at the end.

Folks, we are in never-never land. Very likely better than the recent "big 3" and the greatest team since the early 2000s. Just all stay healthy, have fun, and remember that, despite however much he grouses, not even so very deep down, Geno loves you.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom