Gabby Last Bucket Decision | The Boneyard

Gabby Last Bucket Decision

Reaction Score
With 3.6 seconds left in regulation.
Gabby missed a bank shot.
Had she used her usual hops layup the outcome would have been who knows.

With that said our girls played their hearts out. Not one but twice they tied the game at the last crucial moments.

I wish Gabby and Kia the very best.
It has been nothing but spectacular from these two.

Reaction Score
Agree. She had the time to make a move. Instead, she settled for a fadeaway bank shot with a hand in her face.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
As she was fouled. At the time I thought that should have been Collier' s shot. Most players, pros too don't have the length of time left on the clock right.

Reaction Score
Down two, you have to put the ball up quickly to give yourself a chance for a putback or an opportunity to extend the game by fouling. Putting the ball on the floor gives the defense an opportunity to double team. Unless you are running a set play that includes a second pass, no player down two with 3.6 seconds is looking to pass it. Ms Williams cannot be faulted/second guessed here.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Down two, you have to put the ball up quickly to give yourself a chance for a putback or an opportunity to extend the game by fouling. Putting the ball on the floor gives the defense an opportunity to double team. Unless you are running a set play that includes a second pass, no player down two with 3.6 seconds is looking to pass it. Ms Williams cannot be faulted/second guessed here.

Based on Geno's post-game comments it seemed to be a play they've worked on a lot in practice. He thought she may have had time to put the ball on the floor but I think there was a 2nd defender coming. Gabby gave a great effort but it was a tough shot to make.

Reaction Score
Two year's in a row for Gabby... I feel so bad for her. :(

She did rush that shot a little. But I think Geno's right, she probably thought she had a second and a half less than she did. Pretty hard to fault her for not having perfect awareness of the remaining time and trying to make sure she got a shot off before the buzzer.

The one shot I think should have gone in is the last one of the game, Lou's near-layup after the incredible court-long bomb from Gabby on the inbound. I know time was expiring, but she did get that out of her hand before the buzzer, right? If so, that would have tied it, and it was a far better look than the shot Gabby missed.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
The score was tied. Gabby's bucket would have won the game.

Reaction Score
Based on Geno's post-game comments it seemed to be a play they've worked on a lot in practice. He thought she may have had time to put the ball on the floor but I think there was a 2nd defender coming. Gabby gave a great effort but it was a tough shot to make.
I love Gabby. She is an incredible all around player, but KLS is UConn's best shooter period. I would have thought huskies would have had some plays designed to get her some kind of look, just as Irish did with O.

Reaction Score
I love Gabby. She is an incredible all around player, but KLS is UConn's best shooter period. I would have thought huskies would have had some plays designed to get her some kind of look, just as Irish did with O.
I agree. You live & die with your best shooter when it comes down to one play. Gabby has had confidence issues with her jumper all year long. Give KLS the shot, even if its from deep. Collier would have been option 2.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The Irish defense was smothering and the Huskies needed to shoot quickly Gabby took what was given. Notre Dame was not allowing space to create.

Reaction Score
The Irish defense was smothering and the Huskies needed to shoot quickly Gabby took what was given. Notre Dame was not allowing space to create.
True , but why is your best shooter the in bound passer ?

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score

They focused tough D on KLS all night long. If they tried to get her the ball it would have either been tipped or she would have been instantly smothers. The play to Gabby was a well conceived play. She was well capable of making it. Close shot is the best shot.

Reaction Score
She's also the best passer. Plus height to see court.
They focused tough D on KLS all night long. If they tried to get her the ball it would have either been tipped or she would have been instantly smothers. The play to Gabby was a well conceived play. She was well capable of making it. Close shot is the best shot.
Hmm, so I guess Muffet shouldn't have gotten O the ball since she was face guarded all night long huh? We didn't tip it or smothered her, did we ? Sorry, but I just can't agree.

Reaction Score
Gabby is quick enough that you know she can get open and receive the pass. No screens needed. That's why they were able to clear the floor for her.

Reaction Score
Hmm, so I guess Muffet shouldn't have gotten O the ball since she was face guarded all night long huh? We didn't tip it or smothered her, did we ? Sorry, but I just can't agree.
You are a peach. Goodbye.

Reaction Score
She panicked. Had plenty of time to upfake and either draw a foul or make the layup. Her shot made sense if there was 1 second left, not 4.

Just another piece of the story of the last 2 years, tight under pressure.

Reaction Score
She's been missing those shots most of the year which is why I am surprised she got the ball in that situation. Last shot in a tied game Gabby is not even my 3rd or 4th option to go to.

Am I the only one who remembers Gabby hitting a clutch long 2-pointer down the stretch? She seemed dialed in on her shot last night.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
she was knocked to the floor. Was there a foul? If you noticed she was on her butt at the end of the play and it looked like contact. That was in regulation. Had a foul been called... but I guess we can play the what ifs all day and night

Reaction Score
Am I the only one who remembers Gabby hitting a clutch long 2-pointer down the stretch? She seemed dialed in on her shot last night.
Yes, but that was a straight on jumper, not one carrying her sideways toward the baseline. Which is a much more difficult shot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom