Gabby Last Bucket Decision | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Gabby Last Bucket Decision

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I was surprised by the call, but when I looked at the replay, I liked it more. I thought Gabby had time to dribble toward the hoop for a reverse left-handed layup, but, as Cat notes, a second defender was moving toward her. Gabby put up a good shot that was just slightly short.

That said, I would have preferred an inbound pass and a quick pass back to Lou for a 30-footer. However, passing the ball toward mid-court risked an interception and basket at the other end.

I thought the execution was much better than we had last year. That would have been a fitting shot for Gabby to make to extend her career.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
She's been missing those shots most of the year which is why I am surprised she got the ball in that situation. Last shot in a tied game Gabby is not even my 3rd or 4th option to go to.

Actually, it's been her most consistently made shot for that past 2-3 years. Under the circumstances it was a pretty good look. She missed it.

Reaction Score
Well we lost, and I ended up singing a Bruce Springsteen song at a kareoke bar in greensboro at 1:00 in the morning, strange how the mind works. All I can say is how enjoyable this season was to watch the team (sans those stupid cbs sports telecasts). Really happy for the team, although it will take time for the hurt to subside. They did, after all, leave it all on the court, and gave me countless hours of happiness following their journey.

Reaction Score
“We got the ball exactly where we wanted to get it at the end of regulation,” Auiemma said. “I was surprised that Gabby was that open to catch it in the lane and I think she just lost track of how much time there was, there were three seconds left in the game. What are you going to do? You can prepare, you can go over what you are going to do, you can do all of that stuff, but it still comes down to when you are in the moment, you either make a good decision or you don’t make a good decision. You either make a shot or don’t make a shot. That’s two years in a row.”

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
That was a nice set play by UConn but Gabby missed the shot

Hard to fault her. She probably would have been better off going at the defender instead of falling away, but it wasn’t a crazy attempt. Over two seconds left a player has a bit more time to make a move then they sometimes realize, but that’s easy to say.

Reaction Score
“We got the ball exactly where we wanted to get it at the end of regulation,” Auiemma said. “I was surprised that Gabby was that open to catch it in the lane and I think she just lost track of how much time there was, there were three seconds left in the game. What are you going to do? You can prepare, you can go over what you are going to do, you can do all of that stuff, but it still comes down to when you are in the moment, you either make a good decision or you don’t make a good decision. You either make a shot or don’t make a shot. That’s two years in a row.”

Wow, that's as close as Geno's going to get to calling out his players -- Chong last year and Gabby this year -- for panicking under pressure in winning time.

I can't blame him for feeling that way, but as coach he also bears some of the responsibility.

Paradoxically, his system of positionless, interchangeable pieces that can do everything is too rigid. When a team (e.g. MSU, ND) has us figured out, there's no Plan B, no ability for individuals to improvise and take a game over when needed.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Why the ball didn't go to the 6-6 Stevens who Notre Dame had little answer for inside is another in a long line of head-scratching decisions late in tight games.

Reaction Score
She was not fouled on the last shot. She faded away backwards. No one can bring up Kia's blatant travel on the game-tying layup.

Reaction Score

Hah! Good find Sweet3781 and thank you. Geno's point is exactly how I feel. On any given day but Semi Gabby will score in the lane when she is that close.

Reaction Score
Should of pump fake and went around the defender. She had plenty of time. A fade away jumper is not her or the shot we needed. The whole game we rushed played so fanatic. We passed on shots we normally would’ve taken. Sloppy first 3rd quarters and overtime.

Reaction Score
I normally love this website, but all this second guessing and judging is really annoying. Undefeated season all the way down the final seconds and a lot of people(not everyone}are looking for someone to blame. Congratulations UCONN women for an outstanding season and best wishes for a great off season!

Reaction Score
I don't think I was looking to blame anyone. I just wish Gabby took a different approach toward the basket. :(

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Why the ball didn't go to the 6-6 Stevens who Notre Dame had little answer for inside is another in a long line of head-scratching decisions late in tight games.
Z (or Lou or Pheesa) isn't a Senior. Remember last year's "panic" play, the ball was in Saniya's hands for the last shot, not in Pheesa's, Lou's, Kia's, Gabby's, etc...the Senior's hands. Coincidence?????

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I do not get why there is so much negativity of that play. Time was running out and if you try a fake / dribble transition, alot of bad things can happen. She is a world class jumper, jumped well above her defender and had an open shot that she just missed. When I was watching in real time (the speed in which the game is actually played at) , I thought it was a good decision and effort. Gabby has had to deal with the demons of last years final shot again without any real reason. In my view, she did all she could on both plays and should not give it another thought as she begins her pro career.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom