Gabby Green to Cal | The Boneyard

Gabby Green to Cal

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
great pick up for Cal.

I really believe the next few years the PAC16 isnt automatically going Stanfords way, which is good thing for the sport and the conference.

Should make for some nice battles.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
:(

Well good luck to her at Cal.

U

UCONNfan1

Yet another top prospect vanishes from the LV's wish list...sux to be them!

IIRC Tennessee fans thought they had a good shot to land her. She was scheduled to visit there next weekend. They still think they will likely get Jamie Nared and Jatarie White. And given that Wilson has said she wants no part of playing the 5, her as well.

Reaction Score
First of all, no knowledgeable TN fan thought we led for Green and most knew it would be difficult getting her out of California.
As far as the remaining targets, the only one most would say that TN leads for is Nared. White is next as far as TN having a decent chance with her. Wilson is by no means thought to be leaning towards TN. Many sources have pointed that South Carolina currently leads for her services including several on this board.
The biggest unknown is still Kia Nurse, not sure where her interest lies at this time.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
First of all, no knowledgeable TN fan thought we led for Green and most knew it would be difficult getting her out of California.
As far as the remaining targets, the only one most would say that TN leads for is Nared. White is next as far as TN having a decent chance with her. Wilson is by no means thought to be leaning towards TN. Many sources have pointed that South Carolina currently leads for her services including several on this board.
The biggest unknown is still Kia Nurse, not sure where her interest lies at this time.

Well, no one here said they heard TN led for Green. The poster you replied to said "IIRC Tennessee fans thought they had a good shot to land her.".

"Good shot to land her" doesn't mean "we led for Green". And there were some optimistic fans about Green. I guess you are saying they were not knowledgeable.

The "sources" that say they know that South Carlolina leads for Wilson are just posting an opinion. You saw several sources on this board saying that too? Not true.

Yes, it was another player that didn't select Tennessee. Oh well. As UConn fans say, next.

Reaction Score
Well it was common knowledge that we did not have a high probability of landing her. Some TN fans wear orange glasses and don't always think realistically. It's part of having successful programs with die hard fans.

UConn and TN coaching staffs have different strategies when it comes to recruiting. TN casts a larger net than UConn; hence they will have more recruits choose other programs than UConn. UConn likes to focus on a handful(4-5) recruits per class. I do not think either program has a lack of talent at the moment so both can be considered successful in their tactics.

If you guys do in fact land Wilson, I would say 3 championships in the next five years would be an expectation.

Reaction Score
Of course the first thing to be said about Green's commitment to Cal is "OH TENNESSEE LOST ANOTHER ONE SUCKS TO BE THEM." She is from california and also has a high school teammate committed to cal. California makes perfect sense for her. Congrats to Green and i look forward to watching California more so now than ever. Those cal bears are becoming more interesting by the minute. California had an awesome year and now an awesome recruiting class.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
UConn and TN coaching staffs have different strategies when it comes to recruiting. TN casts a larger net than UConn; hence they will have more recruits choose other programs than UConn. UConn likes to focus on a handful(4-5) recruits per class.

That's an intriguing hypothesis, and one that seems plausible. However, one possibility is that UConn staff plays it closer to the vest (not saying this is better, just different). The trouble is, by definition, it is hard to know if this is true, absent waiting for the post retirement tell-all bio.

Do we know of many recruits, ending up at other schools, who have revealed they were pursued by UConn, but it didn't get into the rumor mill i.e Boneyard?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
First of all, no knowledgeable TN fan.....
Well, there you go.

wonder_woman_xlarge.gif

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
IMHO Cal has a great chance to surpass Stanford in the PAC 12 this year and UCLA will pass both of them next year. I'm not sure if this year is an indication of what will happen in the future, but if more players from California stay in State, then the future won't look good for Stanford dominating again. California produces some great High School talent and if the majority stay in State and end up at Cal and/or UCLA, don't see how Stanford can recruit enough quality players to keep up. Stanford was able to stay on top because many of the elite players from California went East to go to college. Just think if KML had gone to Cal or UCLA, they would have already passed Stanford. There's not enough elite players who meet or desire Stanford's academic requirements to keep them on top if Cal and UCLA are able to get the elite California players to stay in State.

Reaction Score
The PAC is changing and we will a huge move at the top by next season...Stanford should hold their own this season

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
That's an intriguing hypothesis, and one that seems plausible. However, one possibility is that UConn staff plays it closer to the vest (not saying this is better, just different). The trouble is, by definition, it is hard to know if this is true, absent waiting for the post retirement tell-all bio.

Do we know of many recruits, ending up at other schools, who have revealed they were pursued by UConn, but it didn't get into the rumor mill i.e Boneyard?
I think it's been very true in the past. Geno doesn't generally go after multiple players at a position he wants. He went after 1 PG at a time for 2014 and lost out on all of them. I think little by little the staff is realizing you can't do that. If you miss out on your primary target, often you are too late to the party for your 2nd or 3rd option.

However, the problem with recruiting the very top kids is that another kid who is rated much lower but plays the same position might look at who you really want and realize there may never be PT at UCONN for her. It's a fine line to walk...

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Gabby Green Video Interview - Link

Interview conducted in Indonesia.

Reaction Score
All of the previous posts on the changing dynamics of the Pac 12 are spot on. I would add that we also shouldn't discount USC's impact. Since Mr. Cooper has been replaced by Miz Cooper they should start producing more wins. Mr. Cooper was not suited too coaching in WCBB . Not vocal enough, much like Gary Cooper's "yep's and nope's"in the movies. Could not teach or motivate. I see the same potential upsurge for them as happened to Cal when Boyle left for Virginia.
If you look at Cal's roster, most of their players are from the Bay Area and Sac Joaquin sections, with most being situated less than 50 miles from the school. That area by itself can produce enough elite players to keep them situated as one of the better teams in the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom