Gabby during the anthem - not another of those threads | The Boneyard

Gabby during the anthem - not another of those threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I really do not want this to be another anthem thread, but in case people haven't read all the news links, I think this is interesting - and also interesting that until this year no one noticed or at least no one commented on the fact that she was not doing exactly what her other teammates were doing:

She has received questions from fellow students why she stands with her arms grasped in front of her and her head bowed when the national anthem is played before each UConn game. Other than Nurse, a Canadian native, Williams is the only player on her team not to place her hand over her heart during the playing of the national anthem. Williams has prayed during the national anthems dating back to her high school days and has continued that process at UConn with the permission of her coaches.

“People have asked me if I am protesting but I am not, it is just my way of taking that moment and I am soaking in the environment and that is where I get my head together,” Williams said. “Mostly the first thing I say (during her prayers) is I am hope that God sees that I am reaping what He sows. I know I have this ability, this opportunity, this platform. I hope I don’t put it to waste and that is always my main (prayer).”

Excerpt from a good story about Gabby in the register in Nan's news link and below:
UConn’s Gabby Williams making an impact on and off the court

Reaction Score
What a great example of how people (all of us!) can misinterpret gesture, and, as you say, not even pay attention to gesture into it's presumed to fall into a new context.

On the other hand, anyone who thinks that the players' participation in community activities is just a publicity stunt, should read this:

At the end of the day I am going to be a black female after basketball and all of that and so are my kids,” Williams said. “I want to make sure every day that I am trying to make a difference, I am trying to stay involved. My dream is to be a community organizer and to work in the community, to make one person’s life better. We definitely have a platform that nobody else has, I try to be as involved as possible on campus, I just want to make sure that at the end of the day when I walk off the court, I am a human and I have to live like that....We do a lot of community outreach. I haven’t had as much time to (attend all the events) but I have been part of organizing it, going to juveniles and helping kids there.”

Huskie78

Husky fan stuck in South Bend
Reaction Score
I really do not want this to be another anthem thread, but in case people haven't read all the news links, I think this is interesting - and also interesting that until this year no one noticed or at least no one commented on the fact that she was not doing exactly what her other teammates were doing:

She has received questions from fellow students why she stands with her arms grasped in front of her and her head bowed when the national anthem is played before each UConn game. Other than Nurse, a Canadian native, Williams is the only player on her team not to place her hand over her heart during the playing of the national anthem. Williams has prayed during the national anthems dating back to her high school days and has continued that process at UConn with the permission of her coaches.

“People have asked me if I am protesting but I am not, it is just my way of taking that moment and I am soaking in the environment and that is where I get my head together,” Williams said. “Mostly the first thing I say (during her prayers) is I am hope that God sees that I am reaping what He sows. I know I have this ability, this opportunity, this platform. I hope I don’t put it to waste and that is always my main (prayer).”

Excerpt from a good story about Gabby in the register in Nan's news link and below:
UConn’s Gabby Williams making an impact on and off the court
There are many reasons why Gabby is my favorite. Add that to the list!

Reaction Score
She's truly a special one and we, as fans, are so lucky to have the chance to see her time at UConn! She's one of my favorites, for sure.

Gabby is going to change the world one day - I can feel it.

Reaction Score
I read this story earlier and thought "what else can she not do good?" The more well known she becomes, there will be some little girl out there that will emulate her. The world would be a better place with a few more Gabbys.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Did she do this pre Kaepernick?
A little reading comprehension goes a long way:
Williams has prayed during the national anthems dating back to her high school days and has continued that process at UConn with the permission of her coaches.

Assuming she wasn't in HS at the start of the NFL preseason this year, I would say YES.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
A little reading comprehension goes a long way:
Williams has prayed during the national anthems dating back to her high school days and has continued that process at UConn with the permission of her coaches.

Assuming she wasn't in HS at the start of the NFL preseason this year, I would say YES.

I really don't want to propagate a certain discussion from flaring again but although I read the statement you quoted, I had recalled seeing a uniform line with only Kia "out of step" if you will. I did find this example to at least confirm I was not totally incorrect. That doesn't mean the quote is not accurate but she may have not 100% of the time not also put her hand on her heart when she prayed.

huskies_anthem.jpg

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I noticed Gabby's style on Twitter a few months ago... her retweets were very interesting, I mentioned players behavior during that "anthem" thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom