FYI - A bunch of smoke over at the Oklahoma CR Board | Page 9 | The Boneyard

FYI - A bunch of smoke over at the Oklahoma CR Board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No idea if this is legit but: http://article.wn.com/view/2015/07/16/Home_of_UConn_Football_Takes_New_Name_as_Pratt_Whitney_Stadi/

"When the UConn Huskies open their football season Sept. 3 against the Villanova Wildcats, the teams will play in a stadium with a fresh new name: Pratt & Whitney Stadium at Rentschler Field."

I guess I was half right. Perhaps since it's Pratt & Whitney they waived the 2018 restriction. It looks like UTC donated a bunch more land for parking and the deal is in place to 2030.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
The Big Ten Network is operated by Fox Sports. If FOX + Jim Delany/B1G want to continue their push east, thinking long-term growth, then UConn is still a valuable asset. All of this talk about attendance being a factor is pure poppycock. There isn't a program in the country that would sell its stadium out when 1) the team wins 2 games a year and 2) plays in a mid-major conference with weak home schedules. I'm not making excuses; the reality is what it is. You put a marketable team like Michigan on the Rent's turf, winning season or not, and look what you get: stadium record attendance and an atmosphere that almost propelled one of our worst teams, coached by our worst coach, to a win. Similar to what has happened at Rutgers and Maryland, if you put a B1G schedule on UConn's home slate, you will see a HUGE attendance spike even with losing seasons. But we're not going to have losing seasons every year. Ironically, we had our most football success while a member of a BCS conference. We can do it again as a P5 member.

It's B1G or bust. It has been B1G or bust the second after LCC was invited to the ACC over us. President Herbst has done everything in her power to accelerate the timetable and improve our B1G profile in such a short period of time. Unfortunately, UConn was put on auto-pilot for so long before Herbst got here that there is a lot of catch-up to do.
Of course if UConn's schedule was a lineup of peer type B1G state U's I'm sure the "Rent" or is it Pratt-Whitney stadium now? lol...Would need expanding..whats the old time Yankee or Irish American saying?? "Tell me who your company is and I'll tell you who you are"!!

Reaction Score

As the primary tenant, this does not doe well for UConn - "A UConn spokesman said the university had nothing to do with the name and was not involved in the negotiations. UConn pays rent to play at the stadium, gets revenue from tickets, but receives nothing from parking or concessions, according to the spokesman."

If a professional team had such a contract, they would relocate in a second.

Reaction Score
As the primary tenant, this does not doe well for UConn - "A UConn spokesman said the university had nothing to do with the name and was not involved in the negotiations. UConn pays rent to play at the stadium, gets revenue from tickets, but receives nothing from parking or concessions, according to the spokesman."

If a professional team had such a contract, they would relocate in a second.

The fact that someone is anticipating the need to expand parking by could bode well. . .

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
We have to be able to park enough cars for the coming 70,000 seat stadium.

Thanks to @Chin Diesel in another thread, you can safely assume that about 150 cars per acre can fit into "open field" style parking lots. You multiply that by the additional 25 acres that UTC donated, that's about 3750 additional cars. Most cars aren't coming in with a single driver; most cars parked for tailgating have 2-4 people in it. We can conservatively deduce that the additional 25 acres could accompany roughly 10,000 additional fans. I wonder why 10,000 additional fans is important??

This is exciting news indeed. Not so much for the stadium name, but the added parking acreage donated by UTC. Let's just keep our fingers crossed that the extra land is indeed used/saved for parking and not sites to construct a UConn Wal-Mart or shopping nonsense.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Thanks to @Chin Diesel in another thread, you can safely assume that about 150 cars per acre can fit into "open field" style parking lots. You multiply that by the additional 25 acres that UTC donated, that's about 3750 additional cars. Most cars aren't coming in with a single driver; most cars parked for tailgating have 2-4 people in it. We can conservatively deduce that the additional 25 acres could accompany roughly 10,000 additional fans. I wonder why 10,000 additional fans is important??

This is exciting news indeed. Not so much for the stadium name, but the added parking acreage donated by UTC. Let's just keep our fingers crossed that the extra land is indeed used/saved for parking and not sites to construct a UConn Wal-Mart or shopping nonsense.

I would think that 25 extra acres of parking could accomodate 7500-1000 extra people no problem. From my experiences 3-5 people is the norm per vehicle when you are paying for parking at events.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I would think that 25 extra acres of parking could accomodate 7500-1000 extra people no problem. From my experiences 3-5 people is the norm per vehicle when you are paying for parking at events.

Typo there. 3700ish cars and 10,000 people no problem. Based on 150 cars per acre X 25 acres and 4 people per car gets you 15,000 more people.

Reaction Score
The fact that someone is anticipating the need to expand parking by could bode well. . .

Good catch, did not see that in the clip when I first read it. Could be taken as a way to preserve parking in the case of further development on the site, such as P&W's new HQ & engineering complex.

" Under an agreement announced Thursday, Rentschler Field in East Hartford will soon be called Pratt & Whitney Stadium at Rentschler Field.

The deal extends through 2030 Pratt's naming rights to the stadium in exchange for a donation of 10 acres of land and a 15-acre easement for parking. Pratt President Paul Adams and UConn President Susan Herbst announced the naming agreement during a ground breaking ceremony for a new Pratt & Whitney headquarters, which is part of a long-term $400 million tax credit deal UTC signed with the state early last year."

Reaction Score
UConn announces a new stadium name (with more parking to accommodate a stadium expansion). FOX announces signing Cowherd. Cowherd predicts UConn to B1G. FOX operates BTN. Hmmm...

Well played...

Reaction Score
Good catch, did not see that in the clip when I first read it. Could be taken as a way to preserve parking in the case of further development on the site, such as P&W's new HQ & engineering complex.

" Under an agreement announced Thursday, Rentschler Field in East Hartford will soon be called Pratt & Whitney Stadium at Rentschler Field.

The deal extends through 2030 Pratt's naming rights to the stadium in exchange for a donation of 10 acres of land and a 15-acre easement for parking . Pratt President Paul Adams and UConn President Susan Herbst announced the naming agreement during a ground breaking ceremony for a new Pratt & Whitney headquarters, which is part of a long-term $400 million tax credit deal UTC signed with the state early last year."

The version I viewed mentioned that the parking was for UConn specifically. Did you view the full press release or was there a truncated version?

As part of the stadium agreement, UTC will donate 10 acres of land to the State of Connecticut for additional stadium parking. UTC also will provide an easement for the use of an additional 15 acres adjacent to existing stadium parking, further expanding the parking available to UConn fans. In return, UTC's stadium naming rights will be extended through 2030. Since its opening, the stadium has been known simply as Rentschler Field.

LINK

Reaction Score
ESPN doesn't set the price, but they're cutting costs because because cable subscriber numbers are going down and affecting their bottom line. Common sense dictates it will affect the bottom line of the "other buyers" in the market as well. Fox may see this as an opportunity to really make a dent against ESPN in terms of content they own, but that may be a stretch. NBCSN, and CBSSN, were both cheapskates before and I doubt this ever changes.
One way to maintain/increase revenues when they are under stress is to increase the market. For the B1G that means the Northeast and the Northeast means us. Q.E.D.

Reaction Score
One way to maintain/increase revenues when they are under stress is to increase the market. For the B1G that means the Northeast and the Northeast means us. Q.E.D.
That is certainly one way to look at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom